The Student Room Group

Brexit Rhetoric Must Change

Remain supporters have to do a few things.

1 - Be an adult and accept the result of a democratic process

2 - Stop claiming racism where it doesn't exist

Leave supporters must do a few things

1 - Call out racism within their ranks where it does exist

2 - Stop indulging in conspiracy theories

And we all must accept that people are allowed to disagree. I voted remain, I am depressed about it, demonising the elderly and patronising the poor does not help.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/euthanasia-of-elderly-and-racist-incidents-increase-after-brexit/

Scroll to see replies

I echo OP's sentiments.

The remain voters need to just respect democracy and stop calling for a rerun or claiming the government should vote against it in Parliament, but the leave voters must also kick the racist wing of their movement to the curb.
Reply 2
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I echo OP's sentiments.

The remain voters need to just respect democracy and stop calling for a rerun or claiming the government should vote against it in Parliament, but the leave voters must also kick the racist wing of their movement to the curb.

I'm hoping when it settles down this will be exactly what happens. I'm afraid it will lead to further polarisation and far right attacks.
Reply 3
Exactly and we need leadership capable of doing that. The country seems off its axis at the moment.
And remain camp should stop saying very person who voted leave is a racist and/or xenophobic
Original post by Damien96
I'm hoping when it settles down this will be exactly what happens. I'm afraid it will lead to further polarisation and far right attacks.

If we get a Norway-style deal very little will change and any far-right elements will be diffused, right now the liberal left is fueling the far-right which will only lead to further escalation.
Reply 6
Original post by govandpolitics
And remain camp should stop saying very person who voted leave is a racist and/or xenophobic

Yes. It is childish, cheapens the accusation and leads to further frustration and bigotry.
Reply 7
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
If we get a Norway-style deal very little will change and any far-right elements will be diffused, right now the liberal left is fueling the far-right which will only lead to further escalation.

Absolutely. the left at least partly caused Brexit by not addressing genuine concerns and smearing everyone as bigots who did.

It's arrogant, patronising and ultimately has lead to a hardening of those views.
Reply 8
Agreed, I'm disgusted by some of the racist abuse that is being thrown around on the streets at the moment. I will certainly be calling it out wherever I witness it.

Political discourse is one thing but harassing and abusing people in the street is not acceptable.
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
Agreed, I'm disgusted by some of the racist abuse that is being thrown around on the streets at the moment. I will certainly be calling it out wherever I witness it.

Political discourse is one thing but harassing and abusing people in the street is not acceptable.

Indeed and I am sure the bile on the Internet is adding to it. We all have to be a little responsible about what we post.
Remain supporters have to do a few things.

1 - Be an adult and accept the result of a democratic process

2 - Stop claiming racism where it doesn't exist

Leave supporters must do a few things

1 - Call out racism within their ranks where it does exist

2 - Stop indulging in conspiracy theories

And we all must accept that people are allowed to disagree. I voted remain, I am depressed about it, demonising the elderly and patronising the poor does not help.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/euthanasia-of-elderly-and-racist-incidents-increase-after-brexit/

It's worth noting that I reckon the vast, vast majority of leave and remain voters are completely reasonable people. This is just the usual idiots doing this stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by KingBradly
It's worth noting that I reckon the vast, vast majority of leave and remain voters are completely reasonable people. This is just the usual idiots doing this stuff.

I completely agree, but when the conversation is so polarised it leads to unreasonable behaviour.

We seem to, in general, give the idiots the mic and lower the debate to their terms.
I completely agree, but when the conversation is so polarised it leads to unreasonable behaviour.

We seem to, in general, give the idiots the mic and lower the debate to their terms.

Without a doubt, but then unfortunately it's generally the idiots that are most keen to grab the mic and start spouting their spiel. Tbh though a lot of these people are either sexually frustrated young people deperate for a cause to fight for but with little interest in thinking for themselves, or losers with crap lives who feel the best person to blame for it is the Polish bloke running the corner shop down the road. They've always been around, it's just that now they've got a reason to act like morons, and the best thing we can do is keep calling them out for it.
Reply 13
Without a doubt, but then unfortunately it's generally the idiots that are most keen to grab the mic and start spouting their spiel. Tbh though a lot of these people are either sexually frustrated young people deperate for a cause to fight for but with little interest in thinking for themselves, or losers with crap lives who feel the best person to blame for it is the Polish bloke running the corner shop down the road. They've always been around, it's just that now they've got a reason to act like morons, and the best thing we can do is keep calling them out for it.

I don't think I can add anything to that other than to say I wholly agree.
The racist voting block was a necessary evil to get us out of the EUSSR, after the dust has settled they can be locked back in the basement.
Reply 15
Original post by otester
The racist voting block was a necessary evil to get us out of the EUSSR, after the dust has settled they can be locked back in the basement.

At the risk of saying the most obvious thing, putting racists back in the box is not an easy task. Politicians should never use such tactics. Playing politics with evil will invariably back fire.
At the risk of saying the most obvious thing, putting racists back in the box is not an easy task. Politicians should never use such tactics. Playing politics with evil will invariably back fire.

Extremism becomes popular in times of oppression and/or poor economic conditions, these can be addressed by the Brexitorys if they choose, however I do expect them to screw it up, imo only UKIP can be trusted with Brexit.

A lot of the far left/right fringe idiots simply look for any reason to cause trouble and jump on the bandwagon. The best solution IMO is to just ignore them so they don't get any gratification out of it.
Indeed and I am sure the bile on the Internet is adding to it. We all have to be a little responsible about what we post.

No the internet is optional, as opposed to real-life. Words on a screen don't hurt and if they do its a problem with the reader.
Remainers are upset and its a free country so they can say what they want.

If Remain had won, there is no way in a million years Farage would have given up, UKIP would not have given up, they would not be saying "lets all work together now and accept the democratic will of the people to remain in the EU". Leavers would have been posting conspiracy theories round the internet about the voting being rigged, peoples votes being rubbed out, the establishment making sure Brexit didn't happen.

Look at what Farage was saying as the polls closed: http://news.sky.com/story/1716585/win-or-lose-this-battle-well-win-this-war

The UKIP leader claimed if the In camp won it would be because of the two million extra voters who were allowed to register after the official deadline was extended because of a government website glitch.

Mr Farage said: "Win or lose this battle, we will win this war, we will get this country back, we will get our independence back and we will get our borders back.

"The Eurosceptic genie is out of the bottle and will not now be put back."

He added: "The landscape of British politics has changed and changed forever."

Does that sound like a man who would have "respected democracy" and agreed to change his rhetoric to accept that Britain wanted to stay in the EU...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending