The Student Room Group

How to quit a job in the middle of summer

Hi everyone,Basically I have been working my current job since the beginning of April when my uni hours decreased enough to make this possible, so will be 4 months this coming weekend. I have done this kind of work in all of my previous jobs (food and waitressing), and whilst I thought I may like to stay at this job for a long time, I've realised that I'm actually really bored of doing the same thing. I want to quit (with a two week notice) so that I can have the last month and a half of my summer free before I go back for my second year at uni. I would like to say that I want to do some work placements and get new experience but the truth is I suffer from high anxiety and I need a break going back to university because I feel like I won't cope well if my current mind-set isn't improved. My current job has great benefits but is very high pressure, and with head office being so close there is many highly positioned people in the unit all the time, and we are very closely monitored.Now you have a bit of background, I'd really appreciate help in writing a resignation letter that;1. Doesn't burn bridges for a reference in the future2. Doesn't make me seem incapable of handling stress3. Doesn't make people ask too many questions4. Doesn't make me seem like my plan all along was to leave after a few monthsI am not a quitter so I am finding it hard to admit that I do need to leave this job in order to pursue what is in my best interests and succeed at university in the next year. Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply 1
Any idea how to get line breaks in this post?
Original post by hannapod
Hi everyone,Basically I have been working my current job since the beginning of April when my uni hours decreased enough to make this possible, so will be 4 months this coming weekend. I have done this kind of work in all of my previous jobs (food and waitressing), and whilst I thought I may like to stay at this job for a long time, I've realised that I'm actually really bored of doing the same thing. I want to quit (with a two week notice) so that I can have the last month and a half of my summer free before I go back for my second year at uni. I would like to say that I want to do some work placements and get new experience but the truth is I suffer from high anxiety and I need a break going back to university because I feel like I won't cope well if my current mind-set isn't improved. My current job has great benefits but is very high pressure, and with head office being so close there is many highly positioned people in the unit all the time, and we are very closely monitored.Now you have a bit of background, I'd really appreciate help in writing a resignation letter that;1. Doesn't burn bridges for a reference in the future2. Doesn't make me seem incapable of handling stress3. Doesn't make people ask too many questions4. Doesn't make me seem like my plan all along was to leave after a few monthsI am not a quitter so I am finding it hard to admit that I do need to leave this job in order to pursue what is in my best interests and succeed at university in the next year. Thanks in advance everyone!

I would just include lines such as thanking them for the opportunity and keep it pretty basic otherwise.
Did you have any verbal agreement that you would stay til the end of the summer? Not because you aren't allowed to leave in that case just because they may be less happy about it if you had.

As long as you work your notice they should be fine with it and still give you a good reference. I would just say you want a break before going back to uni but you don't actually need to say anything like that in your resignation letter. You can find good templates online but you pretty much just say "I'm handing in my notice" and nothing much else. They can be as vague as you like and you don't need to give a written reason.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I would just include lines such as thanking them for the opportunity and keep it pretty basic otherwise.

What reason would you suggest stating?
Original post by hannapod
What reason would you suggest stating?

You could say you wish to focus on your studies,as that sounds perfectly sensible :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by monkyvirus
Did you have any verbal agreement that you would stay til the end of the summer? Not because you aren't allowed to leave in that case just because they may be less happy about it if you had.

As long as you work your notice they should be fine with it and still give you a good reference. I would just say you want a break before going back to uni but you don't actually need to say anything like that in your resignation letter. You can find good templates online but you pretty much just say "I'm handing in my notice" and nothing much else. They can be as vague as you like and you don't need to give a written reason.

No it was just a 100 hour per 4 week contract nothing else was stated, so I wouldn't be breaking any agreement, I'm just not sure how I would explain it both to them and on my CV? Thanks that's helpful, I suppose I'm just feeling some guilt about it
Reply 7
I have drafted this based on your advice;Dear sir/madam,Please accept this letter as a notice of my resignation from the position of X at X.As per terms of my employment contract I am more than happy to continue to work in X for the next two weeks, until the X.I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this team and I am very thankful for the opportunity to work here, and truly appreciate how I have been welcomed. However, I believe leaving my position now will what is best for me as I have some personal issues to resolve before starting back at university in September, which, I'm sure you can understand, is my main priority at this time and cannot be compromised.I am willing to help however I can during my notice period.Yours sincerely,No idea why my computer isn't putting in line breaks, so sorry about that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending