The Student Room Group

Over exaggerating about ' failing ' exams

So someone I knew last year was like ' omg i know I've got a D in biology ' and i genuinely believed them, yet they came out with an A... and now this year they're telling me that they have ' definitely not got anything higher than a C ' in another subject and I just can't help but think they're lying and attention seeking. it really annoys me cause i wanna be supportive but then I'm not going to bother when i bet they will just get an A again :/

do you know anyone like this ?

Scroll to see replies

Understand it from their viewpoint, sometimes you genuinely feel like you messed things up - especially when you are expecting a higher grade, the pressure is more intense and there is less margin for error. :dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Understand it from their viewpoint, sometimes you genuinely feel like you messed things up - especially when you are expecting a higher grade, the pressure is more intense and there is less margin for error. :dontknow:

it just annoys when people say it as if they know for certain ... and saying you got a d grade when you got an A is a big difference.. i would understand if they thought they were gonna get a b and not an a but saying it as if they completely flopped just annoys me
Reply 3
Some people use it as a way of being modest. Some say it incase they may have 'actually' screwed up.
Others say it to make you feel better.

Pretty much mosts students I come across say it.
Original post by fefssdf
it just annoys when people say it as if they know for certain ... and saying you got a d grade when you got an A is a big difference.. i would understand if they thought they were gonna get a b and not an a but saying it as if they completely flopped just annoys me

Sometimes it really doesn't feel like you've done well, especially with perfectionism and stress piling up. Factor in the worry that you may not have met all the assessment objectives, you may not have structured your answer well, or you may have misinterpreted the question - these all play on the mind for some people, and they lose sight of how well they did. Plus, it's not like they are an examiner and know how it will be marked or how many marks they will get.

Usually the A grade students will come out of an exam thinking they did badly because they recognise how high of a percentage they need, but the B/C grade student will think it went okay because B/C is their target, and they only need a comparatively low percentage.
Reply 5
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Sometimes it really doesn't feel like you've done well, especially with perfectionism and stress piling up. Factor in the worry that you may not have met all the assessment objectives, you may not have structured your answer well, or you may have misinterpreted the question - these all play on the mind for some people, and they lose sight of how well they did. Plus, it's not like they are an examiner and know how it will be marked or how many marks they will get.

Usually the A grade students will come out of an exam thinking they did badly because they recognise how high of a percentage they need, but the B/C grade student will think it went okay because B/C is their target, and they only need a comparatively low percentage.

yeh i guess so, thanks for the advice
Original post by fefssdf
So someone I knew last year was like ' omg i know I've got a D in biology ' and i genuinely believed them, yet they came out with an A... and now this year they're telling me that they have ' definitely not got anything higher than a C ' in another subject and I just can't help but think they're lying and attention seeking. it really annoys me cause i wanna be supportive but then I'm not going to bother when i bet they will just get an A again :/

This is pretty much me after every exam. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by BR2671999
This is pretty much me after every exam. :biggrin:

lucky you don't go my school then ; you would get on my nerves hehe
There are loads of them.
Original post by fefssdf

That was me for GCSE geography. I was so sure I got a C in the exams because that's what I got in the mocks. I felt like the exams were really hard and I was guessing most of the answers. I came out with an A* - the first thing I said when I opened my results was "how the hell did I get an A* in geography?!" 😂
Reply 10
Original post by Laurasaur
That was me for GCSE geography. I was so sure I got a C in the exams because that's what I got in the mocks. I felt like the exams were really hard and I was guessing most of the answers. I came out with an A* - the first thing I said when I opened my results was "how the hell did I get an A* in geography?!" 😂

oh god if i was your mate id be mad with you lolol
They do it to prepare themselves for the worse and/or to be modest. They obviously don't believe they got that grade. Like I knew someone who did this and they got 11 A*s at GCSE. :angry:
If I aimed for an A and felt like I haven't got it.
To me that feels like "failure".
Everyone has their own targets and expectations.
Sometimes it feels like the end of the world when it doesn't go the way you wanted.

When you are under all that pressure from yourself, a "bad" exam (so not getting what you want) will make you feel like crap sometimes.
(edited 7 years ago)
I mostly just say that I haven't done well once I've looked at TSR and seen the answers everyone else has given and it makes me feel stupid for not putting what they put :colondollar:
Well, if the friends you are talking about did AQA p2 and p3, they are probably telling the truth.
Reply 15
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I mostly just say that I haven't done well once I've looked at TSR and seen the answers everyone else has given and it makes me feel stupid for not putting what they put :colondollar:

after c3 i was like ' I haven't lost more than 8 marks ' then i go on tsr and that turns into ' i haven't lost more than 20 marks ' :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by clorenzoni5
Well, if the friends you are talking about did AQA p2 and p3, they are probably telling the truth.

hhaa nope they don't do physics, but i can understand physics people stressing out cause I'm guessing the exams are pretty crazy
Reply 17
Original post by Ladymusiclover
They do it to prepare themselves for the worse and/or to be modest. They obviously don't believe they got that grade. Like I knew someone who did this and they got 11 A*s at GCSE. :angry:

oh wow that would really push my buttons
Original post by fefssdf
after c3 i was like ' I haven't lost more than 8 marks ' then i go on tsr and that turns into ' i haven't lost more than 20 marks ' :s-smilie:

The marking schemes on here are not 100% reliable so dont stress about it ^^
Reply 19
Original post by clorenzoni5
The marking schemes on here are not 100% reliable so dont stress about it ^^

nah but I've seen the model solutions with the paper and attempted the questions again and boy did i make lots of silly mistakes

Quick Reply

Latest