The Student Room Group

Britain - Cheer the **** up! Were so indulged we believe our own BS

It's been a dark week, I understand that, but seriously, cheer up. We are a rich country with enormous freedoms. We are one of the most tolerant societies in the world, and while it is important to push back against all forms of bigotry, claiming it to be 1933 in Germany is ridiculous, dangerous and self-fulfilling.

Stand against all bigotry and stop polarising the topic further by equating 3 teenage pricks on a bus with krystallnacht.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/britain-told-to-cheer-the-fck-up/
I'm pretty happy, but not for Britain.
Comparing anything to Nazism has really got tired. All sides of the political spectrum do it, to the point it's almost meaningless, and it's almost always just a way of trying to stir things up.
Reply 3
Original post by XOR_
I'm pretty happy, but not for Britain.

Please, tell me why you're happy, I'm sick of all the negativity.
Reply 4
Original post by KingBradly
Comparing anything to Nazism has really got tired. All sides of the political spectrum do it, to the point it's almost meaningless, and it's almost always just a way of trying to stir things up.

Yes, you know it's the end of the conversation when someone compares something to Hitler.

These are uncertain times, I get the concern, but a little perspective would be nice. As you said, this type of speech only serves to stir things up further.

If people really care about post-Brexit racism they should stop equating individual incidents with 1930's Germany. We need to stop, not ad to the polarising rhetoric.
A dark week for dark people... Remainians.
Original post by Damien96
Yes, you know it's the end of the conversation when someone compares something to Hitler.

These are uncertain times, I get the concern, but a little perspective would be nice. As you said, this type of speech only serves to stir things up further.

If people really care about post-Brexit racism they should stop equating individual incidents with 1930's Germany. We need to stop, not ad to the polarising rhetoric.

For ages we've been hearing rhetoric about how the EU is like Nazi Germany or EUSSR etc, even in the campaign, Boris said the EU wanted to do what Hitler did and get a superstate.
Reply 7
It's a beautiful day

[video="youtube;-A0QNYi0r0s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0QNYi0r0s[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
It's just a ride.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
For ages we've been hearing rhetoric about how the EU is like Nazi Germany or EUSSR etc, even in the campaign, Boris said the EU wanted to do what Hitler did and get a superstate.

Boris might be one of the silver linings here, he seems to have utterly ruined what little reputation he had.

Anyone making Nazi comparisons in such a way have proved themselves unworthy of power.
Reply 10
Original post by incredible randi
It's just a ride.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't try and make that ride as smooth as possible. Otherwise we are just engaging in "Go back to bed America ...."
Reply 11
Original post by otester
A dark week for dark people... Remainians.

A dark week for us all I would say. Certainly regarding the campaigns and conversations we are having in their wake.
What on earth are you on about ?
Reply 13
Original post by Kadak
What on earth are you on about ?

It might help if you highlighted an opinion, who said it and what your problem is with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending