The Student Room Group

What to choose for y11?? Geography or Spanish

So for y10 I sat the exam for French and History and so for y11 I have two more options I can take. So I will be doing my separate sciences, english (level 1-9), maths (level 1-9) in y11 so there's a lot to study because I want at least A in all my subjects- at least 8 in english and maths. So I'm not sure which subject to choose; Geography I haven't done in like 2 and a half years and apparently this years exam was really difficult and it is a pretty difficult subject that has too much coursework. Spanish on the other hand I have never done. All i know is how to count up to ten and hello. And then I'll have to dedicate quite a lot to that as I'll have to learn vocabulary, write coursework for speaking and writing. It is quite similar to French though which I am quite good at. I am planning to be a doctor and get in a good university so which subject will be more useful in becoming that and won't be so difficult considering my circumstances?

So just to let you know I'll be studying it for only one year- well like 9 months. So I need something that is quit easy and able to learn quite quickly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by chocolatd
So for y10 I sat the exam for French and History and so for y11 I have two more options I can take. So I will be doing my separate sciences, english (level 1-9), maths (level 1-9) in y11 so there's a lot to study because I want at least A in all my subjects- at least 8 in english and maths. So I'm not sure which subject to choose; Geography I haven't done in like 2 and a half years and apparently this years exam was really difficult and it is a pretty difficult subject that has too much coursework. Spanish on the other hand I have never done. All i know is how to count up to ten and hello. And then I'll have to dedicate quite a lot to that as I'll have to learn vocabulary, write coursework for speaking and writing. It is quite similar to French though which I am quite good at. I am planning to be a doctor and get in a good university so which subject will be more useful in becoming that and won't be so difficult considering my circumstances?

Provided you get the minimum amount of A*/A grades at GCSEs for some unis, the subjects you choose at GCSE (excluding the sciences and other core subjects) don't really matter.

Choose the one you feel you would enjoy, and be able to get more than a decent grade. I did both and got very close to full UMS in Spanish, and an A in Geography, since I chose them simply because I understood them far more than other subjects and enjoyed them. You don't want to study a boring subject for a year or two (believe me, you'd hate it with all your guts).
Reply 2
Geography should be easier to get an A/A* in compared to spanish ?
I'd do Geography tbh - you've already got a Language GCSE (French) and another humanity would be nice :yep: Not to mention, Geography is far easier :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I took German and Geography. I have never done Spanish but the languages courses, for me anyway, are much easier than what geography is. If you know the language and vocab well then there isn't much revision for languages but for humanities you've got to know it all inside-out. I did AQA and the highest marking individual question was 2 marks, from what I can remember, so if you don't know the answer then it doesn't matter as much. On the other hand, for AQA Geography there is one 8-marker for each of the six topics you do so if you don't know the answer it impacts more on your mark. To be honest I found Geography hard because it doesn't come naturally to me. I revised for Geography and History more than science and maths, which I am taking next year, because I had not retained as much of the stuff that we did in class. Good luck next year! I want to be a doctor too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't choose spanish. The exam was more harder this year.
Reply 6
Personally I would pick geography, its not that it hard you just have to remember facts and you will be fine:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Username1502
I'd do Geography tbh - you've already got a Language GCSE (French) and another humanity would be nice :yep: Not to mention, Geography is far easier :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to be taking Economics as well- isn't that a humanities?
Reply 8

So just to let you know I'll be studying it for only one year- well like 9 months. So I need something that is quit easy and able to learn quite quickly.

I did French and Spanish together, but I was in the opposite situation to you. I did Spanish from year 7 but only picked up French in year 10. I was apprehensive at first picking both of them as, like you with Spanish, I had very minimal French knowledge (I'm pretty sure all I knew was un, deux, trois :redface:) but I found that they complimented each other extremely well as they have similar vocabulary and grammar rules thus it made revising so much easier. If you enjoy languages then I cannot recommend it enough. As long as you learn vocab continuously throughout the course you will be fine (I definitely recommend https://www.memrise.com/ for vocab memorisation. It got me from a C to an A in French :wink:)

Good luck with your choices!
I'm going to be taking Economics as well- isn't that a humanities?

I took History, Geography and Economics and yep - they're all humanities.

But, it would be nice to have a traditional humanity because, as GCSE level at least, Economics isn't a traditional humanity like Geography is.
Reply 10
Geography.

Quick Reply

Latest