The Student Room Group

Can I get student car Insurance if I graduate next month?

I am looking to find the cheapest available insurance quote and listing myself as a student provides me with a significantly cheaper quote. Thing is, I graduate next month, but, technically I am still a student until September.

Can I, and should I insure my car listing myself as a student? What are the drawbacks of doing so?
Reply 1
Original post by amit07
I am looking to find the cheapest available insurance quote and listing myself as a student provides me with a significantly cheaper quote. Thing is, I graduate next month, but, technically I am still a student until September.

Can I, and should I insure my car listing myself as a student? What are the drawbacks of doing so?

Yes you can - The official date when your course ends is the date where you can cease considering yourself as being a student.
Reply 2
Considering if you have an accident, many insurers will look for things you've mistaken or lied abut to get out of paying, I imagine this will cause issues once you officially cease to be a student.
Original post by Inazuma
Considering if you have an accident, many insurers will look for things you've mistaken or lied abut to get out of paying, I imagine this will cause issues once you officially cease to be a student.

Only if you claim through them, if you go to a garage which handles accident claims you only have to notify your insurance of an accident which doesn't affect your score as much... Obviously in the situation that you're not to blame

OP, if you have a job lined up then I would stay as a student for now and then change it once you begin work but if you're going to be unemployed I would suggest waiting as quotes are usually 3 x higher for unemployed (idk how that makes sense bcus if you're unemployed you have less money)
Original post by Kieran1996
Only if you claim through them, if you go to a garage which handles accident claims you only have to notify your insurance of an accident which doesn't affect your score as much... Obviously in the situation that you're not to blame

OP, if you have a job lined up then I would stay as a student for now and then change it once you begin work but if you're going to be unemployed I would suggest waiting as quotes are usually 3 x higher for unemployed (idk how that makes sense bcus if you're unemployed you have less money)

Unemployed people have no need to commute, so no extra risk from commuting. Apparently insurance companies are concerned that you may throw your Lamborghini Diablo or Ford Fiesta etc off a cliff and put a theft claim in. Unemployed are more likely to do such things coz they aint got no money innit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending