The Student Room Group

What's more important: course or uni rep?

Would you say it's better to go to a highly ranked/russell group university to study a generic subject e.g. history, english, chemistry etc that doesn't lead to a direct career or a lower ranked uni to study a course that almost guarantees a job e.g. engineering, nursing, optometry, audiology etc.
Right now I have an offer to study chemistry at a highly ranked uni but also an offer to study chemical engineering at a less prestigious (but not bad) uni and i'm not sure what to go for
Reply 1
Depends on whether you want to do those jobs. If you want to work in chemical engineering, then choose the chemical engineering degree but if you want to do something generic then maybe go for the chemistry degree at the good uni.
Original post by Sara_t
Would you say it's better to go to a highly ranked/russell group university to study a generic subject e.g. history, english, chemistry etc that doesn't lead to a direct career or a lower ranked uni to study a course that almost guarantees a job e.g. engineering, nursing, optometry, audiology etc.
Right now I have an offer to study chemistry at a highly ranked uni but also an offer to study chemical engineering at a less prestigious (but not bad) uni and i'm not sure what to go for

Better for what?
Course is always the most important. If you have passion for the course, you can become great no matter the uni.
Original post by Trapz99
Depends on whether you want to do those jobs. If you want to work in chemical engineering, then choose the chemical engineering degree but if you want to do something generic then maybe go for the chemistry degree at the good uni.

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of employability, your skills and experience will make a huge difference.. Doing a generic course may demonstrate your intelligence but doesn't give you practical job skills so in my opinion i would chose chemical engineering and make sure you do work experience before graduating then you'll be sorted :smile:
Original post by Hevachan
In terms of employability, your skills and experience will make a huge difference.. Doing a generic course may demonstrate your intelligence but doesn't give you practical job skills so in my opinion i would chose chemical engineering and make sure you do work experience before graduating then you'll be sorted :smile:

Chem eng doesn't afford one intrinsic skills that a general academic wouldn't, outside of becoming the vocation of the degree, it doesn't matter much what you study. I agree with your work experience and skills points though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending