The Student Room Group

LLB Law with medium range or poor AS Levels...

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, as I have just signed up for TSR. Although I performed all right in class overall in year 12 (As and Bs on my report card), I imagine that I will have something like BCD at AS (possibly higher, possibly lower).

I know that, at this stage, it is all really uncertain, as we obviously don't have our results. But I thought that there would be other hopeful Law applicants scared about AS and others who have got into good unis despite AS who might want to discuss it.

So, what sort of options would you have with fairly low AS grades for Law? Who has managed to improve their grades loads between AS and A Level? Would a gap year be a good backup option, and what would you do on it?
You could still do Law at uni, but I would instead focus on smashing A2 results and going to uni a year after, or going through adjustment. You don't want to go to any of those kinds of unis you'd get into with those grades if you can help it.
Reply 2
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You could still do Law at uni, but I would instead focus on smashing A2 results and going to uni a year after, or going through adjustment. You don't want to go to any of those kinds of unis you'd get into with those grades if you can help it.

Thanks for your reply. :smile:

With predicted grades of maybe ABC, do you think that places like Keele and Liverpool (ABB) would possibly give an offer? Do you know if they are all right for Law?
Original post by ett11
Thanks for your reply. :smile:

With predicted grades of maybe ABC, do you think that places like Keele and Liverpool (ABB) would possibly give an offer? Do you know if they are all right for Law?

You might get an offer. But you might not.

I don't know about Keele, but I've done research into Liverpool. From what I can tell, it's regarded as one of the worst Russell Groups, but it is a Russell Group. I think it would be respected. Liverpool is like 37th for Law I think. Given your circumstances, it would be a good place to go if you can get in.

Of course, if you exceed their offer, apply somewhere higher.
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You might get an offer. But you might not.

I don't know about Keele, but I've done research into Liverpool. From what I can tell, it's regarded as one of the worst Russell Groups, but it is a Russell Group. I think it would be respected. Liverpool is like 37th for Law I think. Given your circumstances, it would be a good place to go if you can get in.

Of course, if you exceed their offer, apply somewhere higher.

Yeah... thanks.

I think I'll just do my best to get great A Level grades overall and maybe hope for something through adjustment or after a gap year, as you suggested. I am sure that some hard work will get me higher grades next year! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JohnGreek
Try to get those grades up to As and Bs minimum and apply to better unis... you generally don't want to be stuck with the likes of Liverpool as your 5 choices when they consistently appear in Clearing for Law anyway.

So, if I am lucky and get AAB-ABB predicted grades (I think I'll be capable, I just properly muddled some of those AS exams), it would be worth applying to places like Kent and Sheffield, perhaps with Liverpool as an insurance choice? I think it's worth the risk, and it's a good point that places like Liverpool often come up in clearing. That's the double backup, then.

On second thoughts, with something like BCD, AAB predicted grades don't look so likely. Maybe I just apply for the experience but plan on taking a gap year.
Reply 6
A friend of mine got ABCD at AS level (psychology, sociology, biology and history) and still managed to secure a conditional at Uni of Sheffield for Law. Her predicted grades were A*AB, as she dropped history. She also sat a retake paper for Biology, which will hopefully help her secure the right grades. So, don't lose hope :smile: I'm sure that even if your results weren't what you expected them to be, you can work extra hard next year.
Reply 7
Yep - these unis have decently high offer rates from what I can remember, and you'll still be able to go on Extra and Clearing if none of them gives you an offer.

This is a very crude measure to gauge competition, but perhaps you could check out these two lists (whichuni and TCUG) to see the universities's offer rate and average UCAS points respectively. Perhaps it will give you an insight into which places are slightly easier to get into than others.

That's a great idea - and I am certainly not beyond crude measures! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by aishahk
A friend of mine got ABCD at AS level (psychology, sociology, biology and history) and still managed to secure a conditional at Uni of Sheffield for Law. Her predicted grades were A*AB, as she dropped history. She also sat a retake paper for Biology, which will hopefully help her secure the right grades. So, don't lose hope :smile: I'm sure that even if your results weren't what you expected them to be, you can work extra hard next year.

Thanks. :smile: I'll just keep my fingers crossed for low grade boundaries for the first year of a new course and some obscure history option. I have a solid EPQ to add to that, and I have seen that Sheffield might lower grade offers on the grounds of that...
Original post by ett11
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, as I have just signed up for TSR. Although I performed all right in class overall in year 12 (As and Bs on my report card), I imagine that I will have something like BCD at AS (possibly higher, possibly lower).

I know that, at this stage, it is all really uncertain, as we obviously don't have our results. But I thought that there would be other hopeful Law applicants scared about AS and others who have got into good unis despite AS who might want to discuss it.

So, what sort of options would you have with fairly low AS grades for Law? Who has managed to improve their grades loads between AS and A Level? Would a gap year be a good backup option, and what would you do on it?

If you don't get AAA, don't do Law- try a different course and do the conversion after. Its better to get into a Russell Group and do say philosophy which is ABB and convert. Most good Russell Groups ask for AAB minimum and law isn't worth studying if your not at a Russell. Personally I got A*A*A and still opted for History at Warwick because the GDL is a very good alternative and if I don't want to study law at the end of my degree I have a broad range of other opportunities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Magnus Taylor
If you don't get AAA, don't do Law- try a different course and do the conversion after. Its better to get into a Russell Group and do say philosophy which is ABB and convert. Most good Russell Groups ask for AAB minimum and law isn't worth studying if your not at a Russell. Personally I got A*A*A and still opted for History at Warwick because the GDL is a very good alternative and if I don't want to study law at the end of my degree I have a broad range of other opportunities.

Good point. I'll consider it (if I do, I'll probably study English, maybe with a language), and it's a good "double backup". However, I like the idea of Law as a degree, so I think that'll be my first choice, if possible.
Try to get those grades up to As and Bs minimum and apply to better unis... you generally don't want to be stuck with the likes of Liverpool as your 5 choices when they consistently appear in Clearing for Law anyway.

What other unis consistently appear in clearing for law?? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending