The Student Room Group

I need help. Want to go to university again but completely lost.

I went to university for a year studying forensic science, I already found it quite difficult to "fit in" and feel comfortable there but I got along with it and quite enjoyed it. But near the end of the year my dad suddenly died and I did not deal with it very well. (Who would?) this resulted in me not going to uni. I didn't pass first year because I didn't hand in my last module and sit my last exam. I instead decided to move universities to try and get a fresh start and forget about the grief and heartbreak. Obviously this didn't end well and ended up being in a new area far away from my family, on my own and depression finally kicked in and lost motivation to even leave my bed. I moved to my partners town and quit the Uni as a last chance of regaining mental stability and happiness again. I've now been working, and living with my partner for 9 months and I'm completely happy and content. Don't get me wrong, the grief and depression reveals its ugly little head occasionally but I can deal with it now. Except now I want to carry on my studies and my dream. But I have no idea how to do so. I'd like to carry on at my original university and kind of pick up where I left off. But I've now had 1 and a half years worth of funding. Is there anyone else who's been through something similar? Sorry that this is long winded and might sound like a sob story but just trying to be clear on the things that have happened to push my life in such erratic changes. Thanks for any help. 😊
1. Contact your original uni// tutor, then explain whats happened and whether they would be willing to reconsider you for the course.
If so what steps you will need to take.

It would be sensible for you to let them know everuthing thats happened in a short statement as well as including any independent evidence of medical support i.e your GP etc.
It may be they require you to make a formal submission and their extenuating circumstances. Talk to your tutor or an advisor in the SU.
It may be they allow you to pick up where you left off, resit the year or decide its unsuitable for you to return.

2. Your next task is to talk with SFE what the status of funding is. If your original Uni will let you go into the 2nd year, then you will have sufficient funding to complete the degree as you will have used your spare years funding. If this confuses you, then get the assistance of one of the advisors at your SU.

3. You will need to put your compelling personal reasons claim through with the assistance of your Uni.
Theres a good guide here for a different Uni, but it explains the basic steps well and it shouldnt be hard to apply it as a guide for what you need to do with whatever Uni you were at.
http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/student-support/funding-advice/resources/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf

If you do the above, then you may persuade your Uni to let you redo or continue the course and you may get SFE to agree to disregard some of the funding already given and fund the rest of the course.

Good luck.

You will need to put in a claim for compelling personal reasons and this may allow them to disregard part of the funding used as they see fit, such as the second year at the other Uni. You need to go through the procedure and provide them with a statement plus evidence to support your claim.
Original post by Khayl95
I went to university for a year studying forensic science, I already found it quite difficult to "fit in" and feel comfortable there but I got along with it and quite enjoyed it. But near the end of the year my dad suddenly died and I did not deal with it very well. (Who would?) this resulted in me not going to uni. I didn't pass first year because I didn't hand in my last module and sit my last exam. I instead decided to move universities to try and get a fresh start and forget about the grief and heartbreak. Obviously this didn't end well and ended up being in a new area far away from my family, on my own and depression finally kicked in and lost motivation to even leave my bed. I moved to my partners town and quit the Uni as a last chance of regaining mental stability and happiness again. I've now been working, and living with my partner for 9 months and I'm completely happy and content. Don't get me wrong, the grief and depression reveals its ugly little head occasionally but I can deal with it now. Except now I want to carry on my studies and my dream. But I have no idea how to do so. I'd like to carry on at my original university and kind of pick up where I left off. But I've now had 1 and a half years worth of funding. Is there anyone else who's been through something similar? Sorry that this is long winded and might sound like a sob story but just trying to be clear on the things that have happened to push my life in such erratic changes. Thanks for any help. 😊

I'm glad you are feeling more settled in your mind now. Hydeman has tagged me in here, but this is not really my area. As far as funding goes, your previous study means that you would have to fund the first year of a new degree yourself, unless you can claim compelling personal circumstances to Student Finance. @Klix88 is my go-to guide for things about loans, so perhaps she can help. As for restarting at your original university, I think only they can tell you if that's a non-starter or not, so you will really need to start by contacting them. I'd think after all this time and failed exams, it wouldn't be likely, but they are the authorities, not me. Good luck.
Reply 5
The above posters have pretty much nailed it with regards to the Student Finance position. Partial years are counted as complete for the entitlement calculation, which is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of previous years of uni level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement

This currently gives you 3-2+1=2 years of SF funding remaining

At the moment, you could only get funding for the second and third years of a new degree, and would have to fund the first year yourself - including tuition fees - apart from a minimum Maintenance Loan.

However, as has been explained above, you could claim back a year of SF entitlement through their Compelling Personal Reasons process. This would then allow you to start a new degree from scratch. You would need to provide third party evidence that you were experiencing difficulties which meant that you could mot continue your course. Something like a letter from a GP, counsellor etc, describing your situation and why that meant that you could not study. From your description, you would have a good case for claiming CPR.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending