The Student Room Group

How to prepare for Law degree?

In October I will (hopefully) be starting a 3yr Law degree, is there anything I can do to prepare myself for the degree over the long summer?

I have not yet been emailed a reading list or anything as I assume this will happen when/if my place is confirmed on Results Day, but in the meantime I have bought 'How To Study Law' and plan on reading this. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Bumping this because I'm also interested, as I'm starting a Law degree this September too
you could also email the program lead if you can find the contact details via the universities site and then ask for optional/required reading as opposed to do nothing all summer?
Reply 3
You don't really need to do anything to prepare, it's highly unlikely that your tutors will be expecting you to have started pre-reading anything unless you have specifically been asked to.

Don't buy any textbooks until you have seen a reading list or asked a tutor. They will most likely have a textbook or two in mind that will fit with the course content they have designed.

If you really want to do a bit of reading, I'd recommend the law express revision books. They're quite light for getting a bit of an overview and they do come in handy at exam time for structuring answers and getting brief case facts/principles.

The only other thing I'd say is consider what type of learner you are and how you can get the most out of your lectures. For some, a tablet helps to have lecture slides on to pre- download and follow. Others prefer to take notes on paper and some don't find advantages to taking notes at all. I personally found it really beneficial to have a small laptop that I used exclusively for lecture.

Other than that, make sure you have a sturdy bag and enjoy your summer. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Hann95
You don't really need to do anything to prepare, it's highly unlikely that your tutors will be expecting you to have started pre-reading anything unless you have specifically been asked to.

Don't buy any textbooks until you have seen a reading list or asked a tutor. They will most likely have a textbook or two in mind that will fit with the course content they have designed.

If you really want to do a bit of reading, I'd recommend the law express revision books. They're quite light for getting a bit of an overview and they do come in handy at exam time for structuring answers and getting brief case facts/principles.

The only other thing I'd say is consider what type of learner you are and how you can get the most out of your lectures. For some, a tablet helps to have lecture slides on to pre- download and follow. Others prefer to take notes on paper and some don't find advantages to taking notes at all. I personally found it really beneficial to have a small laptop that I used exclusively for lecture.

Other than that, make sure you have a sturdy bag and enjoy your summer. Good luck :smile:

why buy anything just get a pdf of the book online. but preparing is still better then the first few months not having any clue what the lecturer is talking about.
You really don't need to prepare. You're going to work extremely hard for three years, have a break over summer and recharge your batteries.

If you really do want to do some pre-reading, I'd recommend learning the structure of the courts, how precedent works, how a law is passed etc if you don't already know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sketchymofo2
why buy anything just get a pdf of the book online. but preparing is still better then the first few months not having any clue what the lecturer is talking about.

Personally, I learn better off paper. I struggle to take information in as well from a screen up that's personal preference, hence why I said OP should figure out how they learn best. Plus you can't always find books or at least the full version as an online pdf.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not reading any formal textbooks but I am preparing by reading the more generalist books like "Letters to a law student" and "The Legal Method". I'm also doing a legal internship at a city firm to boost my cv!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending