The Student Room Group

Reapplication 2016

Hi guys,

I'm currently holding a conditional offer for Biomedical Sciences at Plymouth University.
However I really intend to do undergraduate Dentistry but I got rejected by all my choices after my application through UCAS this year.

Plymouth University's biomedical science course offers a transfer route to Dentistry after my first year, but that would be very competitive.
As I'm thinking of securing a place in a dental school next year (in case I don't get transferred to dentistry after first year Biomedical science), I wish to apply through UCAS again, while studying biomedical sciences in Plymouth.

So in conclusion I will be hoping for a transfer to dentistry in Plymouth, in addition to 4 more choices in UCAS for BDS.

I've consulted some people regarding this matter but they gave me different opinions.
Some of them said dental schools don't like reapplicants so it would be risky to reapply.
Some said this would be a wise move if I'm so determined to do dentistry.

As results' day is approaching I feel more and more stressful regarding my future and I don't know if I should keep any hopes of me studying dentistry in the UK alive.
I need advice from different people so please help advise me.
Thanks!
Reply 1
I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't get my one offer so I'm re applying. You can always go abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by No.1112
I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't get my one offer so I'm re applying. You can always go abroad.

I know I can go abroad but UK is where my heart belongs, haha.
I'm also going to reapply but will you be studying BioMedical sciences this coming September? Or just a gap year?
Reply 3
Original post by khangwaychan
I know I can go abroad but UK is where my heart belongs, haha.
I'm also going to reapply but will you be studying BioMedical sciences this coming September? Or just a gap year?

Taking a gap year. I'm a bit wary of how hard it is to get into Dentistry re-applying though.
Reply 4
Original post by No.1112
Taking a gap year. I'm a bit wary of how hard it is to get into Dentistry re-applying though.

no matter how you are still gonna try anyway, if not you won't even be able to even dream of becoming a dentist
Reply 5
Hi Guys, it is a tricky situation.

i have three students last year who were able to transfer from biomedical sciences to study dentistry at Kings for 2016 entry. (Another transferred from law, though declined the offer in the end)

They all completed their degrees.

So that is a possibility. Though, it means 3 years extra.

I would like to say one thing though, never presume anything about a universities policy based on what people say online etc. It is very important to contact the individual university and see what THEY say.

If you guys would like to ask any questions to students I am in contact with who have transferred after BioMed, I might be able to get them in contact with yourselves if they are happy to do so.

Regards, D.I.P.
Reply 6
Original post by D.I.Prep
Hi Guys, it is a tricky situation.

i have three students last year who were able to transfer from biomedical sciences to study dentistry at Kings for 2016 entry. (Another transferred from law, though declined the offer in the end)

They all completed their degrees.

So that is a possibility. Though, it means 3 years extra.

I would like to say one thing though, never presume anything about a universities policy based on what people say online etc. It is very important to contact the individual university and see what THEY say.

If you guys would like to ask any questions to students I am in contact with who have transferred after BioMed, I might be able to get them in contact with yourselves if they are happy to do so.

Regards, D.I.P.

thanks for your advice!
By transferring I mean a change to Dentistry/medicine from Biomedical Sciences after first year of study, you don't need to complete your 3 years of biomedical sciences provided you have good results in your first few semesters.

And I would like advice from your students, is it possible if you provide me with their contact details?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest