The Student Room Group

Does he hate me or actually like me?

There's a guy at college who has acted as if he liked me for quite a while now but he's never asked me out or anything. He will always look at me in class multiple times (on one occasion my friend counted and he looked at me at least 16 times from when she started watching). He's also spoken to his friends about me as he's been heard pointing me out saying 'it's her'. I'm aware this isn't a lot to assume that someone likes you, but I definitely got that distinct impression from his body language. Anyway, to the important part, a guy friend of his was having a party for his 19th birthday and he had said he was going until he found out that I was going too. His response was that he just wouldn't come if I was going. This made me think he actually hates me? Does anyone have any idea why he would act like that? I know there's not a lot of information to go on

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I should also ask, guys could shyness or nervousness of being put in a situation with a girl you like make you self sabotage your chances by just staying away?
Original post by Anonymous
I should also ask, guys could shyness or nervousness of being put in a situation with a girl you like make you self sabotage your chances by just staying away?

Yep. There are guys who actually think they have forever, and on some level enjoy the prospects of having a thing than actually having it.
For some, the fear of having no excuse for pursuing what they want (now that the party provides the best opportunity to approach you) overwhelms them
Reply 3
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Yep. There are guys who actually think they have forever, and on some level enjoy the prospects of having a thing than actually having it.
For some, the fear of having no excuse for pursuing what they want (now that the party provides the best opportunity to approach you) overwhelms them

That makes sense I guess. So you think he might just have panicked that he had no excuse not to talk to me?
There's a guy at college who has acted as if he liked me for quite a while now but he's never asked me out or anything. He will always look at me in class multiple times (on one occasion my friend counted and he looked at me at least 16 times from when she started watching). He's also spoken to his friends about me as he's been heard pointing me out saying 'it's her'. I'm aware this isn't a lot to assume that someone likes you, but I definitely got that distinct impression from his body language. Anyway, to the important part, a guy friend of his was having a party for his 19th birthday and he had said he was going until he found out that I was going too. His response was that he just wouldn't come if I was going. This made me think he actually hates me? Does anyone have any idea why he would act like that? I know there's not a lot of information to go on

Maybe he likes you but also doesn't because he thinks he has no chance with you. Maybe you have been ignoring him without you yourself meaning to. If you like him I would go for it, the lad looked at you 16times
Reply 5
Maybe he likes you but also doesn't because he thinks he has no chance with you. Maybe you have been ignoring him without you yourself meaning to. If you like him I would go for it, the lad looked at you 16times

I suppose in someway it could be seen that I've been ignoring him because I've never really approached him either because I'm fairly shy. I had thought I would try to make a move at the party but then when I heard his reaction to me being at the party today I was a bit thrown and thought he must hate me for some reason
Reply 6
Any others have any ideas he's acting like this?

Definitely shy, backed out because he's afraid to mess up or appear nervous around you.

He not going to make a move, I suggest you make it first, some really shy guys need a push, don't be alarmed if he warms up to you a turns into a completely different person though :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQUW3Km01BM&bpctr=1469906545
Reply 9
Unless u did bad something to him, I don't think he would hate u (going by what u typed), he is just shy I guess. I would honestly be the same in the real world but not to that extent.
Original post by Jazzy97
Definitely shy, backed out because he's afraid to mess up or appear nervous around you.

He not going to make a move, I suggest you make it first, some really shy guys need a push, don't be alarmed if he warms up to you a turns into a completely different person though :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just not sure how to make a move when he refuses to come near me. I had thought the party would be a good opportunity to talk in a relaxed environment rather than in college
Original post by Ak77
Unless u did bad something to him, I don't think he would hate u (going by what u typed), he is just shy I guess. I would honestly be the same in the real world but not to that extent.

I'm not aware of having done anything wrong but I just felt it was a really extreme reaction especially when we're both 18 and meant to be adults
I'm just not sure how to make a move when he refuses to come near me. I had thought the party would be a good opportunity to talk in a relaxed environment rather than in college

Evidently not love. If you really want him, then you've got to go against the grain and walk up to him and say hi.

I in the same situation, would usually just walk to a girl and say, 'Heyy, have you been avoiding me or something? :wink:' in a lighthearted jokey way and watch her trip up over her words. After, just move on in convo like it doesn't matter to you. They will not avoid you after you called them on their BS. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely has a crush on you, trust me girls did this to me all the time during secondary school... They're just nervous/shy. My advice is to not throw him into an encounter (i.e. party) but rather speak to him alone, not too directly like 'hey, do you have something you want to tell me?' - maybe ask him out somewhere nice and comforting? For example, 'hey, do you like action films?' - 'Great, wanna goto the cinema with me on xx/xx/xxxx?' should work (if you want to pursue)
He might have some dutch courage and approch you at the party after a couple of drinks, you never know.
Reply 15
I'm not aware of having done anything wrong but I just felt it was a really extreme reaction especially when we're both 18 and meant to be adults

Yh, I'm 18 too and I am more shy in the real world than here online so I can unsterstand he'd be shy.
In today's world why don't you just go and say hi, maybe he's a bit shy?
I would not say he hates you. I would be careful how you use such words.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Definitely has a crush on you, trust me girls did this to me all the time during secondary school... They're just nervous/shy. My advice is to not throw him into an encounter (i.e. party) but rather speak to him alone, not too directly like 'hey, do you have something you want to tell me?' - maybe ask him out somewhere nice and comforting? For example, 'hey, do you like action films?' - 'Great, wanna goto the cinema with me on xx/xx/xxxx?' should work (if you want to pursue)

Thanks. Yeah I think it's maybe overwhelmed him a bit the idea that he was going to be put in a situation where he needed to talk to me. I'll need to try and approach him in a more laid back way
Thanks. Yeah I think it's maybe overwhelmed him a bit the idea that he was going to be put in a situation where he needed to talk to me. I'll need to try and approach him in a more laid back way

Yeah, make sure he's comfortable i.e. don't pull him away from his friends to talk to him... Some girls have run away before when I did that:biggrin: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending