The Student Room Group

Did you ' bend ' the truth in your personal statement

Scroll to see replies

I didn't outright lie... but I did say that I tutored children when in actuality I was stood in a classroom and killed an hour because i was too awkward to actually try and help the kids. I did also claim to have read a book I hadn't, and still haven't finished
Reply 21
I didn't really lie, but rather just exaggerated. Most of the stuff I had mentioned such as NCS, work experiences I really didn't gained nothing at all from it.
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh same I've got the places I want go and I got away with interviews hehe

Did you have interviews for maths? I wouldn't have thought that it would be one of those subjects which require one (apart from Oxbridge).
Reply 23
Original post by fefssdf
Looking back over my PS and I feel bad cause there's quite a few things I mention which aren't exactly 100% accurate....

did any of you guys say things to make you look good or am I the only one lmao

Bending is putting it lightly, my head of year and I pushed the truth to the point where they were downright lies. "ran a blood donation campaign" means I donated blood.:colondollar: luckily interviewers cared more about the truthful parts
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
maths ... basically I read a bit of the book and wrote a few lines about this envelope paradox thing and said how it was interesting ect and then when i went for an interview at one of my unis i had to explain it to the guy... basically someone gives you two envelopes and one has X amount and the other one has 2X amount and you can pick one, but this paradox says that once you've picked one you should then swap as if you swap then the expected amount you;re gonna get will increase but once you've swapped then again its better if you keep swapping... the guy was like so ' how is that the case' and I'm like ' i don't really no ' and then he was just like yh i don't really understand I'll look into that further so maybe what i learnt here is put something really stupid on your ps that even the professor won't understand lmao

The only time you would seriously be in trouble is if you were called in for an interview at that university and they would ask you questions about your personal statement. And you wouldn't know it cause you haven't actually researched the content

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by MHI
Bending is putting it lightly, my head of year and I pushed the truth to the point where they were downright lies. "ran a blood donation campaign" means I donated blood.:colondollar: luckily interviewers cared more about the truthful parts

Wow thankfully I'm not the only one who basically lied on a few bits
Reply 26
Original post by Michael_98
The only time you would seriously be in trouble is if you were called in for an interview at that university and they would ask you questions about your personal statement. And you wouldn't know it cause you haven't actually researched the content

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had two interviews and was only asked one thing that I had mentioned from a book which I hadn't actually read bar a few chapters but they only asked me about the bit I mentioned so I did actually understand it and could discuss it reasonably well
I'm surprised by how many of you outright lie.

Maybe I should do it too.
I put in mine that I had done some online courses on FutureLearn that were related to my course to get me ready for it. In reality I had signed up for them and had full intent on doing them, but I hadn't done it yet (and haven't done them still...yikes)
Definitely! I said I'd read 4 books...I own them, have yet to fully read them all. Also I said I helped at a charity event...it counts if you're part of the quiz right? I had to pay!:tongue:
Everyone bends the truth about themselves if bigging themselves up will get them rewarded.

If you only had to answer a multiple choice question in order to get into Uni, and the question was "Are you..."
- Awesome
- Mediocre
- Remarkably average
- An abhorrent mess of a human being

...I'd be incredibly surprised if the amount of people who chose "Awesome" was anything less than 95%.
I won't send mine off for a few months but I've like "lied in advance".. so like I've said I've read X book when I won't actually be reading it for a little while, but that's about it :tongue:
Not at all, I was very cocky, because I could afford to have been. Lying is an awful idea, a bad personal statement can be remedied, take a gap yah and get relevant experience, a fraud conviction (not saying it would come to that) screws you for life.
I didn't lie - I just exaggerated. I read or at least skimmed over the texts I spoke about in my personal statement.

But I did make up some bull about how my religion influenced my feelings of Philosophy. This wasn't bull as I was questioning my faith, but just told an alternative story to it! :P
Original post by fefssdf
I had two interviews and was only asked one thing that I had mentioned from a book which I hadn't actually read bar a few chapters but they only asked me about the bit I mentioned so I did actually understand it and could discuss it reasonably well

Then you got lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I had 2 interviews for maths surprisingly
Original post by Peppercrunch
Did you have interviews for maths? I wouldn't have thought that it would be one of those subjects which require one (apart from Oxbridge).
In a few areas slightly, 'regularly read newspapers from across the political spectrum' = follows all major newspapers on twitter but only really ever clicked on lighter stories, totally exaggerated experience from a part time job, made the 'AS mentoring' I was doing sound good when it really meant sitting in a room for an hour a week with 2 other 'mentors' on the off chance an AS student had a basic question about AS economics (helped about 3 students all year).
But in other areas I probably was under generous so it all evens out.
yes lol i straight out lied. i do not care about simon baron cohen, did not watch an hour TEDx video of him talkin about autism lmao. also i did work experience in year 10 for a week at a pre-school where there were like 3-4 autistic children, said I did it at at a pre-school with a high number of autistic children and kinda exaggerated their symptoms lol

also biology helps me with theory and carrying out studies, french helps me with communication and understanding and essay writing.. all lies can't write an essay to save my life lmao

(soz uob)

edit: im laughing i remember putting in it that working at a chip shop helped with communication and confidence, lmao i literally worked in the back room washing up and draining chips lol
(edited 7 years ago)
I lied mainly due to the fact that I didn't actually have any relevant hobbies/experience to put into my PS, i'm applying for politics and said I helped campaign in the election handing out leaflets, door knocking and went to council&party meetings - all complete ******** but wasn't vigorously questioned at any interviews i went to and got all offers.
I never lied, just put things in a way that might have made me appear to have done more than I actually have, but no lies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending