The Student Room Group

Not sure what's happening!!!?? Loan/Grant underpayment

I have been sent 3 seperate student loan statements, all with different amounts on (weird). All of the maintenance loan statements are less money than last year, and it says that I will not be recieving any grant this year, even though my parents financial status has not changed since then. (I already get quite a low loan because my parents income is quite high but they really cant afford to help me, as it is both me and my sister at uni, plus my mom is out of work after a major operation, and there is worry about them losing the house) I have now recieved a letter saying that i need to pay back my grant from last year as i was over payed!!??? I'm really not sure what to do as this loan wont even cover my rent and ive just recently lost my job and am already in an overdraft. Any advice would be helpful as im completely lost for what to do.. thanks
Reply 1
The maintenance grant was scrapped starting this year so that'll explain that part :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
The maintenance grant was scrapped starting this year so that'll explain that part :tongue:

Not really - it was only scrapped for new starters this year. Anyone getting it last year should continue to get it - unless their financial circumstances change - for the rest of their course.
Reply 3
Original post by wayleighxo
I have been sent 3 seperate student loan statements, all with different amounts on (weird). All of the maintenance loan statements are less money than last year, and it says that I will not be recieving any grant this year, even though my parents financial status has not changed since then. (I already get quite a low loan because my parents income is quite high but they really cant afford to help me, as it is both me and my sister at uni, plus my mom is out of work after a major operation, and there is worry about them losing the house) I have now recieved a letter saying that i need to pay back my grant from last year as i was over payed!!??? I'm really not sure what to do as this loan wont even cover my rent and ive just recently lost my job and am already in an overdraft. Any advice would be helpful as im completely lost for what to do.. thanks

You aren't supposed to get a grant if your parents have quite a high income. That suggests that you were given it incorrectly last year and you will have to repay it. Have you checked that the info your parents gave SF was the same as appears in their tax records? They're cross-checked. If your parents declared less to SF than their tax records show, that would explain rhe discrepancy.

If your current household income has dropped by more than 15%, then you can apply to be assessed on their current year's income instead of last year's. However if SF think your parents tried to pull a fast one last year, they might not permit it.

You need to phone SF and ask them why your support has changed so drastically, then you can figure out what to do about it.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending