The Student Room Group

If Land Economy graduates do go to Investment Banking, what about master studets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helg
I already have a place and the thread is about MPhil Land Economy not just any MPhil or indeed MPhil Economics.The question is this: can you rely on undergraduate statistics for BA (i.e. in terms of employability) when you are applying for MPhil and to what extent will Land Economy as a postgrad degree be simiarly beneficial to undergraduate BA.

No and I'm not sure why you're relying on statistics that have nothing to do with your own probability of finding a good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Princepieman
No and I'm not sure why you're relying on statistics that have nothing to do with your own probability of finding a good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course they do. How can you say that statistics for a particular subject at a given institution are inconsequential in their entirety to your own employment prospects and/or career development? They are directly related. Also see my other thread.
Original post by Helg
Of course they do. How can you say that statistics for a particular subject at a given institution are inconsequential in their entirety to your own employment prospects and/or career development? They are directly related. Also see my other thread.

They don't, the data is based on a class 3-4 years your senior with entirely different skills, personality and motivations to you. Are you REALLY going to rely on that and not your own abilities to determine what you should do in your life and how far you'll go? Come on.

Think of it like this, if a statistic for your course said you'd have to jump off a cliff in order to get a job, would you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
They don't, the data is based on a class 3-4 years your senior with entirely different skills, personality and motivations to you. Are you REALLY going to rely on that and not your own abilities to determine what you should do in your life and how far you'll go? Come on.

Think of it like this, if a statistic for your course said you'd have to jump off a cliff in order to get a job, would you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Statistics as you say, don't tell you much. So, agreed completely.

For what it's worth, Land Economy is seen as a doss course anyway, particularly amongst the student body. Undergraduate or postgraduate, this holds true. Also comparing postgraduates that tend to be far more international to undergraduates doesn't tell you much. A Cambridge master degree gets most jobs in most countries (with the right contacts) and they are much more readily usable in developing countries. Furthermore, a master degree is a higher degree, students already have experience, etc. Obviously BA salary expectations, employment rates, etc are not comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, well, thank you for that point of view. Do you think it matters that the masters is not taught but research?

Original post by Newcastle456
Statistics as you say, don't tell you much. So, agreed completely.

For what it's worth, Land Economy is seen as a doss course anyway, particularly amongst the student body. Undergraduate or postgraduate, this holds true. Also comparing postgraduates that tend to be far more international to undergraduates doesn't tell you much. A Cambridge master degree gets most jobs in most countries (with the right contacts) and they are much more readily usable in developing countries. Furthermore, a master degree is a higher degree, students already have experience, etc. Obviously BA salary expectations, employment rates, etc are not comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that point of view bur remember you are speaking with non-STEM business bachelor - that's doss. For me, Land Econ is much more challenging than for STEM or Economics people. I would genuinely say that Land Econ at Cambridge lands somewhere between Architecture and Economics on the one hand, and History or Sociology on the other.

Another question which I have: does it matter, and how much, that the masters is research and not taught one?
Original post by Helg
I see, well, thank you for that point of view. Do you think it matters that the masters is not taught but research?

Thank you for that point of view bur remember you are speaking with non-STEM business bachelor - that's doss. For me, Land Econ is much more challenging than for STEM or Economics people. I would genuinely say that Land Econ at Cambridge lands somewhere between Architecture and Economics on the one hand, and History or Sociology on the other.

Another question which I have: does it matter, and how much, that the masters is research and not taught one?

I don't understand. I don't have a business bachelor.

Well it matters for student experience, research master's don't have much contact time but taught do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending