The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths Question

Hey guys,
I want to apply to Cambridge for maths, and my heart is pretty much set on Trinity- however, I am not taking physics (instead philosophy) at A-level. I do however enjoy theoretical physics, and have read loads about it in my spare time. I'm also going to take M1, M2 and the M3 modules in Further Maths.
My second college choice would be Emmanuel, where they allow students onto the mathematics with physics course if they take the M1 M2 and M3 in their maths a-level. Although I'm not going to apply for the maths with physics (just maths) Emmanuel seem to view all three of the mechanics modules as a substitute for the physics a-level (although I understand that trinity is not the same as Emmanuel!)

Would you suppose that Trinity could view excessive reading on theoretical physics (assuming I get to the interview) and the three mechanics modules as a compromise of sorts, instead of the physics A-level? Or would not taking physics a-level make my chances of getting into Trinity much much smaller?

Thank you in advance :-)
Physics A-level is not required by any College in order to read straight Mathematics.
Original post by savandwich
Hey guys,
I want to apply to Cambridge for maths, and my heart is pretty much set on Trinity- however, I am not taking physics (instead philosophy) at A-level. I do however enjoy theoretical physics, and have read loads about it in my spare time. I'm also going to take M1, M2 and the M3 modules in Further Maths.
My second college choice would be Emmanuel, where they allow students onto the mathematics with physics course if they take the M1 M2 and M3 in their maths a-level. Although I'm not going to apply for the maths with physics (just maths) Emmanuel seem to view all three of the mechanics modules as a substitute for the physics a-level (although I understand that trinity is not the same as Emmanuel!)

Would you suppose that Trinity could view excessive reading on theoretical physics (assuming I get to the interview) and the three mechanics modules as a compromise of sorts, instead of the physics A-level? Or would not taking physics a-level make my chances of getting into Trinity much much smaller?

Thank you in advance :-)

I'm applying for Trinity too. Might be worth speaking to the admissions office, they were extremely helpful when I contacted them.

I asked, and they advised me to take 3 A level subjects (I'm actually doing 2 advanced Highers and A level physics). They said that would make for a more competitive application. I'd considered only doing 2 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest