The Student Room Group

Boyfriend In Magaluf. Issues

My boyfriend is off in Magaluf at the moment with a load of his mates, he's missed my 20th birthday and I've been getting minimal contact, I got a quick happy Bday text off him. We have been dating for just over a year and a half, we live together. I have some mental health problems ( anxiety/ PTSD) just for full disclosure.
When this holiday was first on the cards, he asked me if he could go. I said " I am not going to tell you that you can't go, but it is my birthday and id rather that you didn't- but I'm not going to stop you" Me thinking that he wouldn't go, but of course, he decided to go.
So along comes this holiday- a week before he goes, my Horse was euthanised which affected me greatly, but I always try not to burden him with the horse related stuff. But the holiday is causing me some serious anxiety, I just feel like he couldn't care less about me (not solely holiday related) , I've never had reason not to trust him, but I know that his friends have some questionable morals, and I definately know how he gets after a few drinks.
To top it off I really don't have any self esteem- I constantly think that he could get someone better than me, and knowing he is in a place full of hot women and drink, is just getting to me. And the fact several pictures going up on Facebook, though nothing that isn't PG, plenty of girls along with all the lads.
His defence is that "its not like people think- its a family place" which I think is BS- as a places reputation comes from somewhere!
Oh! and that other thing- this holiday means that we couldn't go on holiday together this year- which means I don't get to go away because none of my friends can afford it either! So that makes me think about how he would rather spend his time?
Is this just me?
Original post by DownInUpendi
My boyfriend is off in Magaluf at the moment with a load of his mates, he's missed my 20th birthday and I've been getting minimal contact, I got a quick happy Bday text off him. We have been dating for just over a year and a half, we live together. I have some mental health problems ( anxiety/ PTSD) just for full disclosure.
When this holiday was first on the cards, he asked me if he could go. I said " I am not going to tell you that you can't go, but it is my birthday and id rather that you didn't- but I'm not going to stop you" Me thinking that he wouldn't go, but of course, he decided to go.
So along comes this holiday- a week before he goes, my Horse was euthanised which affected me greatly, but I always try not to burden him with the horse related stuff. But the holiday is causing me some serious anxiety, I just feel like he couldn't care less about me (not solely holiday related) , I've never had reason not to trust him, but I know that his friends have some questionable morals, and I definately know how he gets after a few drinks.
To top it off I really don't have any self esteem- I constantly think that he could get someone better than me, and knowing he is in a place full of hot women and drink, is just getting to me. And the fact several pictures going up on Facebook, though nothing that isn't PG, plenty of girls along with all the lads.
His defence is that "its not like people think- its a family place" which I think is BS- as a places reputation comes from somewhere!
Oh! and that other thing- this holiday means that we couldn't go on holiday together this year- which means I don't get to go away because none of my friends can afford it either! So that makes me think about how he would rather spend his time?
Is this just me?

I think this is your anxiety talking. You shouldn't begrudge your boyfriend a holiday with his friends when you live together already.
Is this just me?

1. Neither of you should be going hedonistic party destinations on ur own in a serious relationship. Its simply a relationship destroyer

2. Wish my gf wouldnt burden me with horse stuff fml

The anxiety you are feeling is completely understandable and rational but you have made the mistake of letting him go so the damage is done
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
He gets back later on tonight- I'm going and fetching him from the airport because I'm a nice girlfriend. I'm not sure if I want to see him? at the start of the holiday I really missed him.. but now I just kind of feel like he doesn't exist? I don't want to kiss him or hug him and I definately don't want to get intimate..
Now I wish I had said he couldn't go- but I knew he would use me as an excuse and make me out to be the bad guy. I am friendly with a lot of his friends and didn't want their judgement of me being clouded.
Reply 4

Methinks he knew you wanted him to say no, but since you gave him the opportunity to ignore your opinion, he did so.

Anyway the guy who prefers to go with his lads to a sex island at the cost of your own vacations is not really worth your time.
Is this just me?

Okay whilst I don't agree that Magaluf is a family place, I do think you should trust him. Until the day comes where you have solid reason not to trust him, have faith in him. Do any of his friends have girlfriends that you could talk to?
I know this has been said before in these types of boyfriend gone to Magaluf/Napa threads, however if he was gonna cheat, whether he does it in Magaluf or in your local club, he will. Sure the environment there would be easier for him to cheat, but if he has the morals, loves you, values you and is a loyal guy, he won't. Plenty of guys go to Magaluf on lads holidays and don't cheat on their girlfriends. So relax, I know easier said than done, but worrying about what he gets up to isn't going to help with your anxiety. He's on holiday so naturally won't be as preoccupied on his phone a lot of the time, don't worry when he gets back you can properly celebrate your birthday and he can tell you how his holiday was
"Magaluf is a family place."

Really? That was the thing he said to defend himself? That's like saying the red light district in Amsterdam is a place of godly worship :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending