The Student Room Group

C3 Maths A2 AQA 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Maphec
I keep trying to find contact details, what did you sent it to?

Here u are: [email protected]
do people think grade boundaries could drop by more than 6 marks? cus that's what i'm banking on to even have the slightest chance of an A* in maths. no doubt i WILL be resitting C3.

i nearly firmed imperial who wanted A*AAA with the A* in maths.. but chose bristol instead where the A* can be either in maths, physics, further maths or even german. i have never been more glad to have dogdged that bullet because this was totally unmitigated and nothing could have prepared me for this paper. i still have some hope (SOME) for an A* in my other subjects, but had i firmed imperial, i would not have got into my firm for sure 😭
Reply 122
Original post by Maphec
This is from their website -
Although exam boards aim to always set papers with the same level of difficulty, in practice papers do vary slightly. As it would be unfair for students to get a lower grade just because they sat a more difficult paper, grade boundaries are set for each individual exam.

Are they for real? Do they really thinking going from 65 for an A* to 63 will make this paper fair? So many of us have college proof that we are A grade students, to then get a D isn't fair.
We should all write to Aqa, if one or two do it they won't understand. If all of us, thousand write we might be able to get another paper somehow. Or at least make it completely fair and weigh it differently or drop grade boundaries SIGNIFICANTLY.

They should make it atleast 58/60 for A* maybe even lower. I hope 40 is like a C/D. I'll be happy with a C in this paper, then I just need to get high Bs in C4/D1. I'm going to email them bout all my A2 exams this week after C4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lollypop101
Question 4 I think it was 2x-5 idno

Wasn't the substitution u=4x-1 ??
Original post by Yg 50
2) a) show alpha lied between values [2]
b) re-arrange to get into the form x=e(ln5 / x) [3]
c) use iteration thingy where X1 = 2, X3 =2.054 [2]
d) simpsons rule on 5-xx limits of 1.7 to 0.5, 6 strips, answer = 4.49 to 2dp [4]
e) use d) to find approximate for xx which was 1.51 (could someone explain how to do this please) [2]

2)e)
What i did was:
0.2/3 × 90 - Y =4.49
90 is the sum of all the 5 multiplied by the 4 and 2 in simpson rule.
Y is the approximation of the integral of x^x.
Re-arrange to get Y and you get 1.51

Or you can just recognise that when you integrate the function that it becomes 5x with the two limits; and when you evaluate that it becomes six, so 6- integral of x^x with limits=4.49 So the integral would have to equal 1.51.
does anyone remember what question 8 was? need this to see if i got more marks
Original post by irMike
For the stationary point, did you get sin x = 2/3? A few people I spoke to got this, and none of us had any clue how this became a root? Had to keep it as a decimal in the end
use sinx value to calculate cosx and tanx for the same value of x, show those value is all valid (0<x<π/2). Substitute all back to the original equation to get y is -root 5
Reply 127
If the answers are accurate I think i got around 60? 'Im so gutted I didn't even know there was a question 9 except when I walked out the exam hall and everyone talked about what they put and I just sorta said "what question 9". OH well I hope the grade boundaries are low so I got that going for me. Also for 6 (a) You don't have to integrate by parts twice if you just take u to be ln(3x), makes things a whole lot easier.
Can someone provide working for question 7, can't seem to get the answer shown and I was certain it was (5-2x)(4x-1)
Was question 6 ( ( ln3x ) /x2 )2 or ( ( ln3x ) /x )2
Reply 130
((ln3x)/X)^2.
have a copy of the paper. would you like me to post the questions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by remyma
((ln3x)/X)^2.

Thanks - Sure, you could PM me if you want. :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by SaadKaleem

will do, after core 4 will be sent to you/posted mate
Reply 133
Original post by remyma

Please send to me als
Reply 134
paper.
1a. y=((4x+1)^3)sin2x find dy/dx 2m
b. given y=(2(x^2)+3)/(3(x^2)+4) find dy/dx form Px/((3(x^2)+4)^2) 2m.
c. y=ln((2(x^2)+3)/(3(x^2)+4)) find dy/dx 2m.

2a. y=x^x x is greater than zero and curve intersects y=5 where X=alpha. show alpha lies between 2 and 3 2m.
b. show x^x =5. x=e^((ln5)/x) 3m
c. x(n+1) =e^((ln5)/x(n)) x1=2 find x2 x3 3dp 2m.
d. Simpsons 7 ord. integrate (5-x^x) between 0.5-1.7 to 3sf 4m.
dii. hence approximate x^x between 0.5-1.7. 2m

3. x^2 greater than or equal to |5x-6| 5m.

4a. describe a sequence of 2 geometric transformations that maps graph of y=e^x onto y=e^(2x-5) 4m
b. normal to curve y=e^(2x-5) at point P (2, e^(-1)) intersects X axis at point a and point b. show area of triangle OAB is (((e^2)+1))/(e^n) 6m

5a. f(X)= 16x-e^(2x) for all real values of X. find range of X 5m.
5b. f(g(X))= 16/X - e^(2/X) find g(g(X)) 2m.

6a integrate by parts (ln(3x))/(x^2) dx 4m.
6b rotated 2 pi around X axis between 1/3 and 1 and line X=1. 7m.

7a. secx = (cosx)^-1 use chain rule to show if y=secx then dy/dx = secxtanx. 2m
b. function f(X) =2tanx-3secx for 0 to pi/2. Val of y coord of stationary point of graph y=f(X) giving answer in form p root q. 6m

8. u= 4x+1 integration by subs. (5-2x)(4x-1)^(1/3) 7m.

9a. secx-ta X=-5. show secx + tanx =-0.2 2m.
9aii. hence find Val of cosx 3m
b secx(2x-70')-tan(2x-70)=-5 3m.
Reply 135
Original post by username2592579

d) simpsons rule on 5-xx limits of 1.7 to 0.5, 6 strips, answer = 4.49 to 2dp [4]
e) use d) to find approximate for xx which was 1.51 (could someone explain how to do this please) [2]

It was to approximate the integral of x^x, which is -(4.49)+the integral of 5 in those limits, = -4.49+(5*1.7-5*0.5).
Reply 136
Original post by remyma
((ln3x)/X)^2.

send me the paper too please
I think I got 6a wrong but do you think there would be error carried forward marks for 6b?

hi can you send me too please?
Original post by remyma

Original post by Berke0
Please send to me als

could someone please send me too, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest