The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2016/17

Hi. I thought I'd make this thread for anyone doing Advanced Higher Biology this year so we can discuss the course, projects and prelims/the exam when the time comes. Does anyone have any thoughts on topics/titles for their project?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing my project on the effect of temperature on catechol oxidase activity in apples - i might change temperature to age (ripeness) but i'm not sure yet.
Reply 2
No idea :frown: we were meant to get some ideas over summer but all I can think of is doing the ripening or browning of fruit
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I'm doing my project on the effect of temperature on catechol oxidase activity in apples - i might change temperature to age (ripeness) but i'm not sure yet.

Original post by MF12345
No idea :frown: we were meant to get some ideas over summer but all I can think of is doing the ripening or browning of fruit

I'm not sure about mine yet...Have you started the course yet? I started back at school today but need to wait until it is organised for me to go to another school (because my school doesn't offer it) before I properly start the course.
Original post by Labrador99
I'm not sure about mine yet...Have you started the course yet? I started back at school today but need to wait until it is organised for me to go to another school (because my school doesn't offer it) before I properly start the course.

I have my first lesson on Friday. Before the summer we learnt about risks and hazards in field/lab work, taxonomy and plant and animal kingdoms.
Reply 5

Our school hasn't started yet but before summer all we did were experiments!
ooooh I did ADVH Bio last year and ended up pulling a B!!! Good luck guys cause just a warning, this course is very content heavy and you WILL get stressed with your practical investigations at the end of the year so make sure you start preparing ASAP. I did the effect of different inhibitors on the catechol oxidase content of bananas (i.e. how things affect the browning of fruit).
I have my first lesson on Friday. Before the summer we learnt about risks and hazards in field/lab work, taxonomy and plant and animal kingdoms.

How have you found it so far? I'm quite looking forward to the animal bits and the links to chemistry as there wasn't much of that in higher human last year.
Original post by MF12345
Our school hasn't started yet but before summer all we did were experiments!

Maybe you have been doing parts of the investigating biology unit? It seems to have quite a bit of practical work/knowledge of practical work in it.
Original post by The999Theory
ooooh I did ADVH Bio last year and ended up pulling a B!!! Good luck guys cause just a warning, this course is very content heavy and you WILL get stressed with your practical investigations at the end of the year so make sure you start preparing ASAP. I did the effect of different inhibitors on the catechol oxidase content of bananas (i.e. how things affect the browning of fruit).

Well done on your B! Thanks for the advice. :smile: I did human biology last year (normal biology wasn't offered). Would you say there is anything from higher that is important for understanding at AH (and wouldn't have been in the human biology course) that I should look at before it is taught?
How have you found it so far? I'm quite looking forward to the animal bits and the links to chemistry as there wasn't much of that in higher human last year.

Maybe you have been doing parts of the investigating biology unit? It seems to have quite a bit of practical work/knowledge of practical work in it.

Well done on your B! Thanks for the advice. :smile: I did human biology last year (normal biology wasn't offered). Would you say there is anything from higher that is important for understanding at AH (and wouldn't have been in the human biology course) that I should look at before it is taught?

thank you so much!! it was literally the highlight of results day because i convinced myself i got a solid D haha :biggrin:

Theres a wee bit on meiosis and mitosis in unit 2 but other than that i just remember theres a lot of problem solving and definitely a lot of new content. P: Essays also make a comeback unfortunately :C They were probably my downfall in higher tbh.
thank you so much!! it was literally the highlight of results day because i convinced myself i got a solid D haha :biggrin:Theres a wee bit on meiosis and mitosis in unit 2 but other than that i just remember theres a lot of problem solving and definitely a lot of new content. P: Essays also make a comeback unfortunately :C They were probably my downfall in higher tbh.
No problem, you did really well! :smile: I thought exactly the same about English! Thanks for that info- I had been worried I would be at a disadvantage to people who did Higher biology. Problem solving is good for me, but I'm not looking forward to the essays! In saying that, the essay ended up being one of my favourite questions in the higher human paper as one of the options was to do with diabetes cause/treatment/difference between types 1 and 2. Seeing that question was one of those moments when you just want to say 'yes!' in the exam hall! What are your plans for this year?
No problem, you did really well! :smile: I thought exactly the same about English! Thanks for that info- I had been worried I would be at a disadvantage to people who did Higher biology. Problem solving is good for me, but I'm not looking forward to the essays! In saying that, the essay ended up being one of my favourite questions in the higher human paper as one of the options was to do with diabetes cause/treatment/difference between types 1 and 2. Seeing that question was one of those moments when you just want to say 'yes!' in the exam hall! What are your plans for this year?

ooh yeah there's stuff on diabetes in ADVH Bio too!!!

I got my grades for uni and I'll be doing Accredited Biomedical and after that I'm hoping to become a haematologist (i.e blood analysis and things along those lines) :smile: I've basically got what I want to do in future sorted out so It's just a case of sticking in and working at it. How about you? c:
ooh yeah there's stuff on diabetes in ADVH Bio too!!! I got my grades for uni and I'll be doing Accredited Biomedical and after that I'm hoping to become a haematologist (i.e blood analysis and things along those lines) :smile: I've basically got what I want to do in future sorted out so It's just a case of sticking in and working at it. How about you? c:
Congratulations for meeting your uni requirements! :smile: Where are you off to? For me, it's advanced highers this year and then I want to study Veterinary Medicine, if everything goes to plan.
Hi, subbed the thread, will help with any Qs any way I can!

Original post by MF12345

I did the effect of different conditions on catechol oxidase activity in apples, so temp, pH and ascorbic acid, its a good one to do as theres lots to talk about!
Reply 13
Original post by Zain-A
Hi, subbed the thread, will help with any Qs any way I can!

I did the effect of different conditions on catechol oxidase activity in apples, so temp, pH and ascorbic acid, its a good one to do as theres lots to talk about!

That's good to hear :smile: think I will try and do that then
Adv higher Bio student.
Reply 15
Subbed too :smile:

Sorry for some reason I didnt get a notification for this haha!

Im finding it great. We just finished parthenogenesis and are going onto Meiosis which is a bit confusing for me but I'm getting there, I find youtube helps a lot in topics like those. Im looking forward to the animal side of it too. What are you doing in the course right now? X
Reply 17
Sorry for some reason I didnt get a notification for this haha!

Im finding it great. We just finished parthenogenesis and are going onto Meiosis which is a bit confusing for me but I'm getting there, I find youtube helps a lot in topics like those. Im looking forward to the animal side of it too. What are you doing in the course right now? X

Btw when you get to the animals stuff learn some case studies and the names of some example species, sometimes they ask you to give examples in the exam :frown:
Sorry for some reason I didnt get a notification for this haha! Im finding it great. We just finished parthenogenesis and are going onto Meiosis which is a bit confusing for me but I'm getting there, I find youtube helps a lot in topics like those. Im looking forward to the animal side of it too. What are you doing in the course right now? X
No worries :smile:...You seem to have done quite a lot (in comparison to me at least!). I have only had 3 periods of biology so far, and we've only done an introduction to the course and a little bit about proteomics. I think we are also doing evolution next week (with the other teacher- I have two teachers and one teacher is teaching each unit). Hopefully once I get into it a bit more I will enjoy it :smile:
Original post by MF12345
That's good to hear :smile: think I will try and do that then

Cool, I am gonna go into my school sometime this coming week to find out my mark on it so will tell you if it was good or not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending