The Student Room Group

Can I still get into medicine?

So today I got my AS results and I'm feeling really down :frown:. I managed A's in bio and chem and was 1 ums off an A in maths. But I got a D in computer Science :'(. I really want to study medicine so is it still possible? At GCSE I got 7A*/As and have a decent amount of work experience. My UKCAT exam is on the 10th of September so I guess that's my only hope :/.
Original post by takurino
So today I got my AS results and I'm feeling really down :frown:. I managed A's in bio and chem and was 1 ums off an A in maths. But I got a D in computer Science :'(. I really want to study medicine so is it still possible? At GCSE I got 7A*/As and have a decent amount of work experience. My UKCAT exam is on the 10th of September so I guess that's my only hope :/.

You should be able to get into a medicine course regardless of the D in comp sci,
after all medicine is more focused on biology and chemistry than computer usage and theory. The high B in maths is definitely still valid for the course and universities often have a bit of leniency when it comes to the ums points so you should be fine.

Yes, while the D in Comp Sci will be of some concern to certain Unis, you will have a better shot at others.

Have a look here for our list of the A-level requirements for UK Medical schools.
Reply 3

I'm sorry you're disappointed with your results. Don't worry though - the AAA A2 prediction is the main thing. You will need to be careful not to apply to anywhere that needs a certain grade in the dropped AS - e.g. some medical schools need either a C or a B. It's not over though - don't worry. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
I'm sorry you're disappointed with your results. Don't worry though - the AAA A2 prediction is the main thing. You will need to be careful not to apply to anywhere that needs a certain grade in the dropped AS - e.g. some medical schools need either a C or a B. It's not over though - don't worry. :smile:

Thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Yes, while the D in Comp Sci will be of some concern to certain Unis, you will have a better shot at others.

Have a look here for our list of the A-level requirements for UK Medical schools.

Thank you so much, I was looking for this list. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice. :smile:

All the best! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by That bloke 2016
You should be able to get into a medicine course regardless of the D in comp sci,
after all medicine is more focused on biology and chemistry than computer usage and theory. The high B in maths is definitely still valid for the course and universities often have a bit of leniency when it comes to the ums points so you should be fine.

I'm planning on retaking core 1 for maths so hopefully this will be boosted to an A. Thanks for the advice. :smile:
I'm planning on retaking core 1 for maths so hopefully this will be boosted to an A. Thanks for the advice. :smile:

Ah, the shock that was MPC1, got me too. anyway good luck.
Are you getting the maths remarked? Worth thinking about.
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Are you getting the maths remarked? Worth thinking about.

No I'll probably retake C1. I got A's in C2 and S1 but a C in C1 so I'll be better off retaking and having a chance at getting an even higher UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending