The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

For Section A I wrote about Macbeth and as well as discussing him as a villain I put a few paragraphs on him as a victim, firstly saying that he was a victim of his wife's manipulation but secondly I cited Kurzel's adaptation of Macbeth, which gave a greater focus to the battle scenes and emphasised the idea of 'bloody execution' in order to change people's perception of Macbeth's tyranny. I said that this opposed the idea of Macbeth being a villain driven by 'vaulting ambition', as in this adaptation we see his descent as a product of PTSD from war, which would stand out more for a contemporary audience who are more knowledgeable on mental illness and its consequences- so I ended up saying he was a victim of mental illness, would you say this is a valid point?
Original post by annie_369
For Section A I wrote about Macbeth and as well as discussing him as a villain I put a few paragraphs on him as a victim, firstly saying that he was a victim of his wife's manipulation but secondly I cited Kurzel's adaptation of Macbeth, which gave a greater focus to the battle scenes and emphasised the idea of 'bloody execution' in order to change people's perception of Macbeth's tyranny. I said that this opposed the idea of Macbeth being a villain driven by 'vaulting ambition', as in this adaptation we see his descent as a product of PTSD from war, which would stand out more for a contemporary audience who are more knowledgeable on mental illness and its consequences- so I ended up saying he was a victim of mental illness, would you say this is a valid point?

Well, it sounds like it is very well supported, so I would say definitely so!
So many people with complicated views, feel like I didn't do enough now or go out of the box enough...

Did Macbeth for Section A, para 1 on Macbeth as villain, para 2 on Macbeth as victim (didn't initially want to kill Duncan, persuaded by Lady Macbeth), and para 3 on his punishment and how it victimised him, concluded that although he committed villainous acts he was also a victim of his own pride and ambition and of Lady Macbeth's ambitions.

Then for Section B I did the rebels question, one paragraph for each text, talked about why they might be considered admirable (Walton called Victor "noble" and Victor wanted to beat "the spoiler" of death which is admirable language, Faustus being a doctor who helped to cure plague, "brave Macbeth" etc), then discussed the nature of their rebellion (threw in the Symonds quote about Faustus being a "medieval rebel"), and then talked about the condemnation (Victor's suffering/punishment, the chorus in Faustus, Macbeth's punishment and nature turning against itself), concluded with the fact that the texts depict rebellion but condemn it and are actually conservative in nature (used Botting's "promote vice and violence" quote in conclusion to show that some might believe that rebellion is encouraged but ultimately argued against it).
Original post by ElspethC
So many people with complicated views, feel like I didn't do enough now or go out of the box enough...

Did Macbeth for Section A, para 1 on Macbeth as villain, para 2 on Macbeth as victim (didn't initially want to kill Duncan, persuaded by Lady Macbeth), and para 3 on his punishment and how it victimised him, concluded that although he committed villainous acts he was also a victim of his own pride and ambition and of Lady Macbeth's ambitions.

Then for Section B I did the rebels question, one paragraph for each text, talked about why they might be considered admirable (Walton called Victor "noble" and Victor wanted to beat "the spoiler" of death which is admirable language, Faustus being a doctor who helped to cure plague, "brave Macbeth" etc), then discussed the nature of their rebellion (threw in the Symonds quote about Faustus being a "medieval rebel":wink:, and then talked about the condemnation (Victor's suffering/punishment, the chorus in Faustus, Macbeth's punishment and nature turning against itself), concluded with the fact that the texts depict rebellion but condemn it and are actually conservative in nature (used Botting's "promote vice and violence" quote in conclusion to show that some might believe that rebellion is encouraged but ultimately argued against it).

Theres no need to go outside of the box, your points are equally as good as others, all that really matters for marks is hitting all the AO's, such as language form and structure, historical context etc. If you have them then it doesnt matter what your point it, you'll get the marks, theres no extra reward for points being unconventional so don't worry :smile:
Reply 844
The question was about to what extent Faustus is shown by Marlowe to be justly punished for his sins, so I planned my points like so:

Introduced as similar to Icarus and undistinguishable in the prose that they were both referred to in

For - arrogant character, callous to everyone, wanted the old man tortured, "the word damnation terrifies not him" etc
For - didn't want to repent although warned numerous times
"Faustus shall ne'er repent" etc
Against - god should be merciful, Calvinism believes we are predispositioned etc "I would lift my hands up but they hold them"
Against - maybe he acted out of fear although wanted to repent, like William Pyanne was a Puritan who watched the play and said the appearance of the devil made the actors break character and pray out of fear so I said maybe this was the case for Faustus considering he too also showed desperate apologies when he was threatened against breaking the bargain etc

Don't think I emphasised Marlowe really
though :frown:

I did the death section B:

Wuthering Heights:
Emphasised Heathcliff and Cathy's obsession "nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us" etc, also has domino effect on other characters such as Linton who is a mistreated "whelp" because of the "memory he revives", and young Cathy with the slaps, and then how he said he was "in hell yesterday but today nearer to his heaven" so death brought not only revenge but tranquility and relief, then linked that to..
Frankenstein: "seek happiness in tranquility, not in knowledge" and then how him and the creature wanted Death and again like WH sparked revenge: "mind bent towards injury and death", the irony of the fact that death haunted victor throughout, and how death caused his trouble - the dead beings brought to life in the form of the creature, and how when the creature kills, they both become what they despise and keep completing the cycle of death such as destroying the female creature and eventually themselves wanting the release of death then...
Faustus: flipped to say he wants rid of death and is terrified etc (can't really remember much else)

Said it was "important", "key", "significant" etc and mentioned its role as a main Gothic element/convention too

I really aimed for an A in this paper for an A overall just because I've pushed for it, does that sound good to anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by throwaway112233
I have a question about something that's been bugging me since I left the exam hall. I accidentally wrote 'Edward' instead of 'William' when talking about Frankenstein's brother (it was a passing comment), and it's been bothering me all day because I caught it at the last minute just as the time ran out.

Will I get penalised? I need an A* lol.

No, I don't think you would. I read an A* model answer on Macbeth where the student wrote Malcolm instead of Macduff, and all the examiner did was underline it.
I only wrote 2 out of the 3 books in in section B, will I lose 14 marks or more
Original post by Louis1sos

You shouldn't do... I barely wrote about all three in the last question.
Original post by Louis1sos

If you wrote about those two books in good detail and hit the points AQA wanted you to consider, then I can't imagine not including your third will hurt your marks too much.
Hi everyone :wavey:

Happy results day! How was your English result?

If you have a question about results, UCAS, clearing or adjustment, head over to our Applications and UCAS forum for advice and info.

Congratulations on reaching the end of your exams!

:bl:

English

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fox Corner
Hi everyone :wavey:

Happy results day! How was your English result?

If you have a question about results, UCAS, clearing or adjustment, head over to our Applications and UCAS forum for advice and info.

Congratulations on reaching the end of your exams!

:bl:

English

I actually ended up with 100% UMS in English Lit (OCR)... Don't know how!
Original post by Platopus
I actually ended up with 100% UMS in English Lit (OCR)... Don't know how!

AMAZING! :woo:

Massive congratulations! Did I also spy in another thread that you got your Cambridge place...? :biggrin:
AMAZING! :woo:

Massive congratulations! Did I also spy in another thread that you got your Cambridge place...? :biggrin:

Yes, I did! And thank you so much :smile:
I got a C overall... Really expected like an E or a U :rofl:
Original post by QueenBee98
I got a C overall... Really expected like an E or a U :rofl:

Congratulations!!! Don't you love it when you're so wrong about how an exam went! :woo:
Congratulations!!! Don't you love it when you're so wrong about how an exam went! :woo:

ahahaha yes! :smile:
Came out with an A overall! Overjoyed!
got a d,shocked,getting priorty remark,still chasing an A
Grade went down to a c gutted I missed out on my first choice
Reply 859
Got an A*!! Got a B overall last year with full marks in the coursework and a D in the exam, got two A*s this year and I pulled it up! So shocked and ecstatic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending