The Student Room Group

A level Maths

Next Thursday is my GCSE results day and on the same day I have to choose my options for A level. I was going to pick English Lit, Textiles and Maths but a lot of people have been telling me that Maths is really hard and that people with A*s at GCSE are getting U's at A level in maths. Should I pick it?
Original post by EmilyRose478
Next Thursday is my GCSE results day and on the same day I have to choose my options for A level. I was going to pick English Lit, Textiles and Maths but a lot of people have been telling me that Maths is really hard and that people with A*s at GCSE are getting U's at A level in maths. Should I pick it?

You should pick subjects that are of interest to you and that will help you with what you would like to study after A-level. Give some thought about what you would like to do after A-level, then make a more informed choice from there :h:
Original post by Nirgilis
You should pick subjects that are of interest to you and that will help you with what you would like to study after A-level. Give some thought about what you would like to do after A-level, then make a more informed choice from there :h:

I know I want to do an English degree at uni, I just didn't know what else to pick as well as English! Thank you though :smile:
I know I want to do an English degree at uni, I just didn't know what else to pick as well as English! Thank you though :smile:

Do you enjoy maths? Maths won't be relevant for an English degree, so you could pick something else you enjoy (Geography, psychology, creative writing etc.). But if you enjoy maths, then definitely go for it! It's very different to GCSE maths, so maybe go to Waterstones and look at a maths book to get an idea of it?
Original post by Nirgilis
Do you enjoy maths? Maths won't be relevant for an English degree, so you could pick something else you enjoy (Geography, psychology, creative writing etc.). But if you enjoy maths, then definitely go for it! It's very different to GCSE maths, so maybe go to Waterstones and look at a maths book to get an idea of it?

Yeah, that's a really good idea!! Thank you :smile:

Bullcrap, what a load of bullcrap... I'm homeschooling A-Level Maths while doing Diploma in Appled Science L3 at college (1 year too) and so far its easy. Maths is all about understanding the equation, practising not memorising it... but it depends on your mind set too.

Reason why A* students get Us is because they think it'll bee a cake walk.
Reply 6
I got an A* in IGCSE maths (around 95%). AS I got a B (1/2 UMS from an A) which I resat to get an A. Just got my A2 results today and got a B in maths overall.

In comparison history and economics for me have developed really well and I feel I have progressed massively (got A*'s with full/almost full UMS in both)

For me it's either you get it or not in maths - and in my opinion if you get a bad set of questions/not clicking with the questions on exam day then you can get a worse grade quite quickly - which simply does not happen with other subjects if you know the content inside out.

I'm not saying not to take maths, but to think carefully if you enjoy it and if it suits your mentality/way of thinking. For me it has been the worst decision I have made. I know it was the most frustrating subject I have had to do and had i chosen another subject I would most certainly have recieved a better grade.
don't listen to the people saying you'll fail AL Maths. i had a D at GCSE Maths and I got an A (526 UMS) in A-Level Maths
A girl in the year above got a B at gcse, and A* at maths a-level
Original post by blinin7
I got an A* in IGCSE maths (around 95%). AS I got a B (1/2 UMS from an A) which I resat to get an A. Just got my A2 results today and got a B in maths overall.

In comparison history and economics for me have developed really well and I feel I have progressed massively (got A*'s with full/almost full UMS in both)

For me it's either you get it or not in maths - and in my opinion if you get a bad set of questions/not clicking with the questions on exam day then you can get a worse grade quite quickly - which simply does not happen with other subjects if you know the content inside out.

I'm not saying not to take maths, but to think carefully if you enjoy it and if it suits your mentality/way of thinking. For me it has been the worst decision I have made. I know it was the most frustrating subject I have had to do and had i chosen another subject I would most certainly have recieved a better grade.

That is why I am so undecided about taking it. I get stressed really easily, and so that's why a lot of people have being putting me off it. They said it's really stressful!
Reply 10
That is why I am so undecided about taking it. I get stressed really easily, and so that's why a lot of people have being putting me off it. They said it's really stressful!

In my opinion - if you prefer essay subjects and maths isn't really necessary for what you want to do choose something like history/geography/economics etc.

I can only tell you my experience in that I chose maths due to it being necessary for economics (which I initally intended to do), rather than genuine interest such as I had for history and economics and it didn't work very well for me.

I found maths incredibly stressful, with countless late nights trying to understand concepts which I didn't understand in class.

Honestly I would reccomend choosing what you most enjoyed in gcse regardless of grade.
Original post by blinin7
In my opinion - if you prefer essay subjects and maths isn't really necessary for what you want to do choose something like history/geography/economics etc.

I can only tell you my experience in that I chose maths due to it being necessary for economics (which I initally intended to do), rather than genuine interest such as I had for history and economics and it didn't work very well for me.

I found maths incredibly stressful, with countless late nights trying to understand concepts which I didn't understand in class.

Honestly I would reccomend choosing what you most enjoyed in gcse regardless of grade.

This has been really useful! Thank you!
Original post by blinin7

This has been really useful! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest