The Student Room Group

I failed my AS.

yesterday i got my results and found i got D, D, D, E. E in biology which is the only subject i actually wanted to take. I cant retake the year because the specifications have changed for all or most subjects. what are my options?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wait, so this is for you AS level, shouldn't the specification be the same since you started in sept 2015?
Reply 2
Original post by te.lope
wait, so this is for you AS level, shouldn't the specification be the same since you started in sept 2015?

If i retake the year, I will be joining the current Year 11's going in to year 12. their specification is now different
Original post by te.lope

Yep. The specs changed last yr.
Original post by correiat
If i retake the year, I will be joining the current Year 11's going in to year 12. their specification is now different

How? Is there a change in the exam board or where you doing the old modular ones alongside the linear ones?
Reply 5
what are my options? and what do you think would be best?
See if you can resit modules. That way you can retake them next summer at the same time as your A2 ones
Reply 7
Omg , i didn't know that, thats ridiculous! :angry: Maybe you can started with the new year 12's so you will have to learn a new specification but the truth is the information is never really too different, a few topics might be cut out or added in and the order might be rearranged but the content is pretty much the same. Im sorry to hear this, you should have a talk with the school on this and ask what they will let you do and how to resolve it.
yesterday i got my results and found i got D, D, D, E. E in biology which is the only subject i actually wanted to take. I cant retake the year because the specifications have changed for all or most subjects. what are my options?

If you started the old AS spec last year then you should get one resit in the summer. Have you spoken to your teachers about your results?

Did you struggle with the exams at the time? What grades were you predicted? Are your teachers surprised?
Were you doing the old spec or new spec?
Reply 10
my school won't allow me to retake biology. they say either drop it or leave college..
Reply 11
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Were you doing the old spec or new spec?

i was doing old spec
Reply 12
Original post by She-Ra
If you started the old AS spec last year then you should get one resit in the summer. Have you spoken to your teachers about your results?

Did you struggle with the exams at the time? What grades were you predicted? Are your teachers surprised?

throughout the year i had been getting A's to C's which is why it came to a shock to everyone. truth is i never wanted to do Alevels in the first place but did because everyone said my GCSE grades were be too good for me not to (12A*-B). I have anxiety so clearly exams dont help. i feel like this is my sign to leave..what do you think? should i go to college do a BTEC or get an apprenticeship?
Ask your college again, you might just have the chance to resit some of your subjects since they don't change at a later date.

Though if you do resit, there's a slight possibility that you'll have a mixture of specifications within your subjects. (But ask again)

Try and book an appointment with your head of sixth form for advice and what options your college offers. :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by aamirac
Ask your college again, you might just have the chance to resit some of your subjects since they don't change at a later date.

Though if you do resit, there's a slight possibility that you'll have a mixture of specifications within your subjects. (But ask again)

Try and book an appointment with your head of sixth form for advice and what options your college offers. :colondollar:

I had the meeting with her yesterday, everything i am saying on this thread was what she said to me
Reply 15
Whip out your begging bowl and secure a nice spot on the high street.
Reply 16
Original post by Napp
Whip out your begging bowl and secure a nice spot on the high street.

seems like a great idea! :wink:
If you did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma it is equivalent to 3 A Levels. It is 2 years FT. You do 3 days in college and 2 days on work placement experience. 200 Hours work experience in the first year and the same amount again in the second year. Every term you do a different placement in a completely different setting for variety and experience. My son did Health and Social Care and was awarded Distinction Distinction Merit. This is equal to A Levels grades AAC. Some colleges offer the qualifications up to Distinction Star. This is equal to A * at A Level.
(edited 7 years ago)
throughout the year i had been getting A's to C's which is why it came to a shock to everyone. truth is i never wanted to do Alevels in the first place but did because everyone said my GCSE grades were be too good for me not to (12A*-B). I have anxiety so clearly exams dont help. i feel like this is my sign to leave..what do you think? should i go to college do a BTEC or get an apprenticeship?

A BTEC sounds like a good option to me @markova21 21 has given some really good advice above :h:

It's so much harder to work towards something if you're hearts not in it. You have excellent GCSEs so you obviously have lots of academic potential, it's now just finding a way to apply it in a way that isn't going to make you anxious and do something you really enjoy.

I think now is the time that you do want you want and not what others think you should do.

@Roving Fish can you share your experience of doing BTEC please :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by She-Ra
A BTEC sounds like a good option to me @markov21 has given some really good advice above :h:

It's so much harder to work towards something if you're hearts not in it. You have excellent GCSEs so you obviously have lots of academic potential, it's now just finding a way to apply it in a way that isn't going to make you anxious and do something you really enjoy.

I think now is the time that you do want you want and not what others think you should do.

@Roving Fish can you share your experience of doing BTEC please :h:

I am thinking of doing a BTEC in Level 3 Science as it consists of mainly Biology, I have applied and am waiting for a reply! Thanks for the advice. I definitely will do what my heart says and stop listening to others

Quick Reply

Latest