The Student Room Group

Should I take forward two subject I got E's in as level

I got my As-Level grades back yesterday and got a disappointing CCEE(History-1 mark away from a B, English,Maths,Economics). I was not expecting the highest grades but the two lower grades were disspointing as they were in maths and economics and I wanted to do economics in uni. I now I can do so much better and have talked to my teacher who said that if I got similar grades to what I was getting during the year he would predict me much higher. I was thinking about retaking the year but as 3/4 of my subjects are linear this doesn't seem like the best option. Instead I will most probably go into yr13 and if I achieve higher then my predicted will take a gap year.

But the dilemma is which out of Economics and maths do I drop as I love economics as a subject but know that Maths is more important for uni. (At GCSE I got an A in Maths and Further maths). Or I could take both these subjects and drop English even if my predicted are low.

At my school they take other assessments into account with the new linear course not just the as-levels.

Please Help !!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by M_k_s
I got my As-Level grades back yesterday and got a disappointing CCEE(History-1 mark away from a B, English,Maths,Economics). I was not expecting the highest grades but the two lower grades were disspointing as they were in maths and economics and I wanted to do economics in uni. I now I can do so much better and have talked to my teacher who said that if I got similar grades to what I was getting during the year he would predict me much higher. I was thinking about retaking the year but as 3/4 of my subjects are linear this doesn't seem like the best option. Instead I will most probably go into yr13 and if I achieve higher then my predicted will take a gap year.

But the dilemma is which out of Economics and maths do I drop as I love economics as a subject but know that Maths is more important for uni. (At GCSE I got an A in Maths and Further maths). Or I could take both these subjects and drop English even if my predicted are low.

At my school they take other assessments into account with the new linear course not just the as-levels.

Please Help !!!!!!!!!!!

Well for one, Maths isn't a prerequisite to studying Economics at uni and since you have a A in Maths and FM at GCSE level, that is usually good enough for unis.

Economics doesn't usually have any specific A-levels in order to study it at uni really.

If you enjoy Economics way more than Maths then pick Economics. As I said, Maths isn't as important as you may think to Economics.
Reply 2
thanks for the reply
I think I can do much better in maths next year if I retake
Is it dumb to take both and drop English
Would it waste a year

Quick Reply

Latest