The Student Room Group

What A-level subjects should I do?

Hi,
I got my AS results today and they weren't the best. I got an A in English Literature, a B in Geography (just on the boundary for a B) and then 2 U's in Maths and Biology. I definitely shouldn't have done maths and biology in the first place as I am better at essay subjects. My school haven't let me back yet- I have a meeting on Friday next week-I'm probably going to have to retake the year. So, my question is what 2 new subjects should i retake with English Literature and Geography?/which ones would I find the easiest?
Thanks
If you're better at essay subjects, then choosing some more essay-based subjects would be the logical option in my opinion, such as History, Psychology, Government and Politics and so on. Have you got any idea what you want to do/study after A Levels yet?
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
If you're better at essay subjects, then choosing some more essay-based subjects would be the logical option in my opinion, such as History, Psychology, Government and Politics and so on. Have you got any idea what you want to do/study after A Levels yet?

I was thinking about doing psychology so that's reassuring! My school doesn't offer Government and Politics and I haven't done History in a year since GCSE, so I don't know if I would be at a disadvantage? I was considering English Language as I thought I may find it easy as I got an A at GCSE and I have done English Literature this year?I think I want to do Law or English Literature at university.
Thanks so much for replying!
Reply 3
Original post by zweeden99
Hi,
I got my AS results today and they weren't the best. I got an A in English Literature, a B in Geography (just on the boundary for a B) and then 2 U's in Maths and Biology. I definitely shouldn't have done maths and biology in the first place as I am better at essay subjects. My school haven't let me back yet- I have a meeting on Friday next week-I'm probably going to have to retake the year. So, my question is what 2 new subjects should i retake with English Literature and Geography?/which ones would I find the easiest?
Thanks

Hey! Congrats on English and Geography, those grades are great :smile: Psychology sounds like a good idea if you can't think of anything else, though one of my friend's mum is a lecturer in psychology at a university and they actually prefer people who haven't done it at A level as apparently it's quite similar to what they cover in 1st year at uni because not everyone is offered it at A level. What about a language? What were your strongest GCSEs? But more importantly, what do you most enjoy? :smile:
I was thinking about doing psychology so that's reassuring! My school doesn't offer Government and Politics and I haven't done History in a year since GCSE, so I don't know if I would be at a disadvantage? I was considering English Language as I thought I may find it easy as I got an A at GCSE and I have done English Literature this year?I think I want to do Law or English Literature at university.
Thanks so much for replying!

No problem! A Level Psychology would be fine with English Literature and Geography for either a Law or English Literature degree :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by erinls2
Hey! Congrats on English and Geography, those grades are great :smile: Psychology sounds like a good idea if you can't think of anything else, though one of my friend's mum is a lecturer in psychology at a university and they actually prefer people who haven't done it at A level as apparently it's quite similar to what they cover in 1st year at uni because not everyone is offered it at A level. What about a language? What were your strongest GCSEs? But more importantly, what do you most enjoy? :smile:

Thanks a lot! I am happy with those two. I done French at GCSE and I got a low A but again, I haven't done it for a year so I'm not sure if that would put me at a disadvantage. I definitely enjoy, and am best at essay based subjects. English Language was another probably my best GCSE subject as I got an A with minimal effort so maybe English Language and Psychology? I think my best other options would be sociology, business studies or economics.
Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot! I am happy with those two. I done French at GCSE and I got a low A but again, I haven't done it for a year so I'm not sure if that would put me at a disadvantage. I definitely enjoy, and am best at essay based subjects. English Language was another probably my best GCSE subject as I got an A with minimal effort so maybe English Language and Psychology? I think my best other options would be sociology, business studies or economics.
Thanks for the help :smile:

That sounds like it could work, but I'm just thinking if you did that you'll be doing 4 essay based subjects and sometimes it's really good to have a break and do a completely different subject. Did you do music or anything? I'm applying to Medicine so I do biology, chemistry and maths but I also do music with that and I'm so glad I have something different to do :smile: Just an idea. And no problem, feel free to ask me anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest