The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Oct 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Beth2907
Yes! I am starting BA (Hons) Criminology and Law. Scared but determined!

Hi Beth! I will be starting this course in October also. Are you studying full time or part time?I think i have tried to post this comment about 6 times haha sorry :colondollar:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
Original post by joanna04
Hello,

Is anyone starting a course at the Open University this year?
I'm starting in October 2016, studying Bsc Law and Psychology.
Be cool to see what other people are studying :smile:

Im starting Criminology and Psychology this october.
I'll be starting Sports, Fitness and Coaching this fall! Very excited and also very nervous. I haven't done any studying since school & I have no A levels!
Original post by ShinigamiGin
I will be studying BA Business Manangement this oct :smile:

Original post by Clairehxx
Hey all im starting this October in Business Management (accounting)

Original post by HennaO
Hello everyone - I'm starting BA honours in Business Management [Marketing] in October. I can't wait to get started but feel a little bit nervous at the same time.

Hey guys, I'm a third year Business/Economics student. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Happy to help :h:
Original post by Sarah_Brighton
Yup! Signed up for the first module of Education Studies in Oct (assuming loan is approved!). I cant decide whether to stick to the one subject or make it an open degree and combine it with something else (maybe computing) though...

I'm starting education studies in October too 😊😊
Reply 45
Hello I'm starting BA honours in youth justice studies (England & Wales) this October . I've studied with OU before but this time I'm going for the degree. Anyone else doing the same as me?
Reply 46
Hello joanna04
I'm starting with the OU in October 2016, BA honours youth justice studies. I'm feeling abit nervous how about you?
Original post by joanna04
Hello,

Is anyone starting a course at the Open University this year?
I'm starting in October 2016, studying Bsc Law and Psychology.
Be cool to see what other people are studying :smile:
Original post by ForgottenArrows
I'm starting a Bsc in Mathematics and Physics in October. Really looking forward to getting stuck in.

Same, are you doing full time?
I'll be studying for a BA in Language Studies (French and German), starting in October :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by goofygoat
I'll be studying for a BA in Language Studies (French and German), starting in October :smile:

Do you have any prior experience or any german knowledge? I'm very interested in French and German as well, but I'm worried about learning German completely from scratch.
Original post by matutazo
Do you have any prior experience or any german knowledge? I'm very interested in French and German as well, but I'm worried about learning German completely from scratch.

They have Beginners' as well as Intermediate modules, so if you haven't studied German before, you could take the Beginners' module (L193; Rundblick) to get a grounding in it before moving on. I'm starting Rundblick this October as well, though I don't have much knowledge of German, aside from reading up on the basics.
Reply 51
I'm starting a BA in Language Studies (Spanish and English.) Is anyone else taking this pathway?
I've done GCSE German (waiting for my results D: ) and I've done French from year 7-9. I wouldnt be too worried though, the beginners courses are designed for you to learn with no prior knowledge of the language :smile:
Im studying History in October :smile:
Reply 54
I'm about to enrol for a open degree, I intend on studying full time 120 credits a year, so the degree is complete in 3 years. Because it's full time, does that mean I can apply for a maintenance loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
I'm about to enrol for a open degree, I intend on studying full time 120 credits a year, so the degree is complete in 3 years. Because it's full time, does that mean I can apply for a maintenance loan?

No, as I understand it OU study always counts as part-time for financial purposes, so you can't get a maintenance loan. Deriding on your financial circumstances you might be eligible for some benefits, though; and you shouldn't have to pay Council Tax if you're doing 120 credits.
Original post by l14muk

Even though you are studying full time, the loan you take out with student finance would still be for part time studies. Currently maintenance loans are not available to part time students but are being introduced for the 2018/19 academic year.

I am I in the same boat. I have a part time loan even though I am studying 120 credits a year.

If you are planning on starting next month I am not sure if you could get your loan in time anyway. I applied months ago and it was only finalised last week.
Reply 57
Thanks for your replies.
That's dumb. The degree takes 3 years, just like at a brick uni, so that's a stupid rule. I thought the guidelines for full time were study over X amount of hours per week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
Thanks for your replies.
That's dumb. The degree takes 3 years, just like at a brick uni, so that's a stupid rule. I thought the guidelines for full time were study over X amount of hours per week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's SAAS's guidelines, not OU's. So while OU classifies 120 credits as full time (I think anything over 90 is full time, but don't quote me on that), SAAS still considers it "part time" because it's distance learning. I've heard they're considering changing it, but I don't know how true that is.
Reply 59
So I'm applying for student finance, and it asks for a course title or description or UCAS code. I can't find it anywhere. Which? seem to think the UCAS code is Y008 D but SGE doesn't recognise that?

Does anyone know what to put there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest