The Student Room Group

Should I drop one subject? maths and triple science...

I got my AS results and for the work i put in i desrved to fail but somehow i recieved very undeserving results.

Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Biology - B

I was wondering shoudl i drop a subject as most students do? I wanted to take all 4 next year, and the fact that i got these grades with no work all year and cramming the week before i feel if i put effort in this year i can cope with 4 A2.

Bear in mind this is the new spec so i will be doing as and a2 sciecne exams this summer if i choose to carry them on.

Also despite getting an A in maths i feel i will definetly want to redo all 3 papers and aim for as high as possible.

So basically jjsut wanted advice and wehter i should carry on with 4 or not, and is there anyone who has done this, particularly with these 4 subjects and how much did you work a week and when did you start and what grades did you achieve?

Thank you very much.
Original post by MathSci1999
I got my AS results and for the work i put in i desrved to fail but somehow i recieved very undeserving results.

Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Biology - B

I was wondering shoudl i drop a subject as most students do? I wanted to take all 4 next year, and the fact that i got these grades with no work all year and cramming the week before i feel if i put effort in this year i can cope with 4 A2.

Bear in mind this is the new spec so i will be doing as and a2 sciecne exams this summer if i choose to carry them on.

Also despite getting an A in maths i feel i will definetly want to redo all 3 papers and aim for as high as possible.

So basically jjsut wanted advice and wehter i should carry on with 4 or not, and is there anyone who has done this, particularly with these 4 subjects and how much did you work a week and when did you start and what grades did you achieve?

Thank you very much.

do 4
Original post by LPauling
do 4

Thanks for the reply, Could i possibly ask what makes you say so? I want to make a well thouhgt out decision so would like to hear your reasoning.

:smile:

Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Biology - B

Thank you very much.

If you're sure you can handle it, defo keep it, this really enables you to stand out.
and worst comes to worse, your school will allow you to drop it before and after your mocks in november/december if you feel you can't cope
Thanks for the reply, Could i possibly ask what makes you say so? I want to make a well thouhgt out decision so would like to hear your reasoning.:smile:
You put in 0 effort and got those grades so put in the effort and 4 next year will be easy
Reply 5
No it's too much work I was in your situation last year unis don't look at your 4th subject so what I did to decide was start with all 4 then dropped my least favourite after a few weeks
Original post by darsh shah
If you're sure you can handle it, defo keep it, this really enables you to stand out.
and worst comes to worse, your school will allow you to drop it before and after your mocks in november/december if you feel you can't cope

Thank you very much, i didnt think about the possibilty of dropping one, thanks for putting that in perspective :smile:
Original post by Hollyht
No it's too much work I was in your situation last year unis don't look at your 4th subject so what I did to decide was start with all 4 then dropped my least favourite after a few weeks

Thanks for the reply :smile:

which 3 did you carry on if you dont mind me asking?
and what grades did you get at the end of it ?
sorry if this is too personal
Im in the same sort of situation

Maths - A
ICT - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - C

ICT is all course work next year so I know I can get a high grade so I will be keeping that one and Maths I am keeping. I am either going to drop Physics or keep doing 4 and I can't decide, do you know what you are going to do yet.
Its your A levels. If you think you can handle 4 you go for it. Don't let anyone put you off if you want to do them all.
If it gets hard then you can drop one I think seeing as offers will be based on 3 subjects usually.

You'll probably get a teacher tell you that 3 good grades is better than 4 mediocre ones but tbh
if you are thinking of taking 4 a levels then you wouldn't let that happen.
Worse comes to worse you can neglect the 4th that doesn't matter in offers and do well in 3.
Original post by Chelsea_W
Im in the same sort of situation

Maths - A
ICT - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - C

ICT is all course work next year so I know I can get a high grade so I will be keeping that one and Maths I am keeping. I am either going to drop Physics or keep doing 4 and I can't decide, do you know what you are going to do yet.

Thats a tough choice, what are thinking of doing at Uni??

Ive made my choice, im going to be doing 4 subjects next year, also i am going to do epq aswell, as ive done some essay writing based on energy and science and carbon fibre and stuff over these holidays so i feel i shoudl make the effort and do some more and submit it as an epq for an extra as level.

I want to try my best this year and i feel i am capable of doing it so i am definetly going to give it a try. Its your choice, i guess your scenario is different to mine, as both Biology and Physics i got B's , so i will be predcited the same A in both and also i just cannot decide which one to drop, both have cons and pros.

I hope you make the best choice for you :smile:
Original post by Pentaquark
Its your A levels. If you think you can handle 4 you go for it. Don't let anyone put you off if you want to do them all.
If it gets hard then you can drop one I think seeing as offers will be based on 3 subjects usually.

You'll probably get a teacher tell you that 3 good grades is better than 4 mediocre ones but tbh
if you are thinking of taking 4 a levels then you wouldn't let that happen.
Worse comes to worse you can neglect the 4th that doesn't matter in offers and do well in 3.

Yh you are right, and ive made my choice just recently that i will take 4 , technically 5 and just go for it and give it my all and hopefully i will make it happen :smile:
Thank you for the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest