The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RayApparently
I can set one up and come on in about 20mins if that's ok?

Should be ok to play in 20 mins yeah :smile:. Unlimited time control if you're ok with that? If not that's ok, it's just I've been doing way too many tactics puzzles so my brain has been messed up lol.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Should be ok to play in 20 mins yeah :smile:. Unlimited time control if you're ok with that? If not that's ok, it's just I've been doing way too many tactics puzzles so my brain has been messed up lol.

Lol, I'd rather know when the games going to end lol But I'm fine with a really long timer like 30min or something.
Original post by RayApparently
Lol, I'd rather know when the games going to end lol But I'm fine with a really long timer like 30min or something.

30 should be ok then.
Original post by Forum User
Another amusing game: https://en.lichess.org/OkteJPVV/black#1

White is clearly collecting material for his upcoming book, "How not to play openings". By move 4 he has dissipated any edge that white usually has and black must be slightly better. He then embarks on a policy of not developing any pieces and moving his queen to hem them in while simultaneously losing a pawn for nothing, then prevents himself from castling and eventually suffers the rare ignominy of being back-rank mated in the middle of the board.

It's a shame I didn't spot 13 Qd3+ followed by 14 Nb4!! That would have been a really nice finish. In my defence I had a gut feeling this guy was going to mate himself with 14 Ne2 whatever I did :smile:

I don't get ratings on this site. I'm still less than 1700 and that play still seems absurd, and in this game my opponent is less than 1400 and even they play infinitely more principled than that guy.. https://en.lichess.org/KpwuesgE#40 I guess there are all the games I'm not paying attention or thinking properly that cut me down to a rating so low that people hundreds of points above are playing like beginners.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't get ratings on this site. I'm still less than 1700 and that play still seems absurd, and in this game my opponent is less than 1400 and even they play infinitely more principled than that guy.. https://en.lichess.org/KpwuesgE#40 I guess there are all the games I'm not paying attention or thinking properly that cut me down to a rating so low that people hundreds of points above are playing like beginners.

I think you'll be able to extract wayyy more mistakes from your opponents by playing more ambitiously. For example in this game, there were many aggressive tries for you. In the Sicilian if white really wants to push for a win he's gotta go with 3.d4.
3.Bc4 can leave you with pretty dead positions.
Also things like Nb3 are quite passive. Whilst all these moves aren't inaccurate per se, playing more aggressive, ambitious moves will make weak opponents blunder a lot more.

EDIT: Nvm completely got the colours the wrong way round again.
(edited 7 years ago)
30 should be ok then.

https://lichess.org/iu9j2pPe :yy:
I think you'll be able to extract wayyy more mistakes from your opponents by playing more ambitiously. For example in this game, there were many aggressive tries for you. In the Sicilian if white really wants to push for a win he's gotta go with 3.d4.
3.Bc4 can leave you with pretty dead positions.
Also things like Nb3 are quite passive. Whilst all these moves aren't inaccurate per se, playing more aggressive, ambitious moves will make weak opponents blunder a lot more.

EDIT: Nvm completely got the colours the wrong way round again.

Though funnily enough I do tend to not be aggressive enough as white in the Sicilian. I go for Yugoslav style stuff if I can, but I'm not as versed in systems where the black bishop isn't fianchettoed
Though funnily enough I do tend to not be aggressive enough as white in the Sicilian. I go for Yugoslav style stuff if I can, but I'm not as versed in systems where the black bishop isn't fianchettoed

Neither am I lol. For some reason no one plays the Sicilian against me...

Ready to play, waiting for first move :smile:.
Horrible game to lose on time, from the start of the somewhat tactical bit at move 26 I had like 40 seconds. :frown:

https://en.lichess.org/1h2VKj9W/black#68
Missed mate in two when I found the first five moves of the mate in 7... that's embarrassing...
Horrible game to lose on time, from the start of the somewhat tactical bit at move 26 I had like 40 seconds. :frown:

https://en.lichess.org/1h2VKj9W/black#68

Blunderful XD. But yeah I'm surprised a 2000 rated player would straight up hang a bishop like that...
Reply 632
I'm busy
Blunderful XD. But yeah I'm surprised a 2000 rated player would straight up hang a bishop like that...

Well he was probably thinking he'd find a way to get the piece back (the knight, that had only taken a pawn - I knew it wasn't best but I was looking to imbalance things by getting rook and a pawn for two pieces through a skewer/fork of the queen and rook)

Certainly your opponent played better on an "average centipawn" loss metric. But part of the reason for that is that a horribly boring, closed, unambitious opening was played (on both sides) where almost any developing move is not going to be too bad.

The next game where your 2000-rated opponent blunders a piece seems more typical to me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
Certainly your opponent played better on an "average centipawn" loss metric. But part of the reason for that is that a horribly boring, closed, unambitious opening was played (on both sides) where almost any developing move is not going to be too bad.

The next game where your 2000-rated opponent blunders a piece seems more typical to me :smile:

Yah I did think that.
Methinks he could have done with a think on that move. He had like 3 minutes to my 40 seconds...
Original post by Electrospective

Spoiler

@FireFreezer77 Apparently we have a game to play, ready when you are.
Original post by XOR_

Haha, you don't have to. Only if you'd like to. It seems like you both like chess....( I hope :tongue: )
Coolio!

Great ^_^

I'll tag you both in the first post in a sec. :tongue:

Spoiler

Hokay

Btw what's your chess ability?

Distinctly average
Original post by XOR_

Oh wasn't aware of this.

1: I dont have the time anymore to play
2: Youll win anyway
3: Im half asleep so yeah.

Sorry

Quick Reply

Latest