The Student Room Group

Applying for a college while studying at another university

Hey,

I've got a pretty unusual situation right here. I'm doing my PhD at University of York (registered n stuff) but my placement is currently in Cambridge (not at UoC itself).

I was wondering is it possible to apply for a membership in any of the colleges without directly studying in UoC like in a form of Visiting Student or something similar.

Life's pretty boring without being a member of any college and it would be nice to be able to participate in some kind of activities, going to pubs, while I have my placement here.

Thanks.
Original post by avsurround
Hey,

I've got a pretty unusual situation right here. I'm doing my PhD at University of York (registered n stuff) but my placement is currently in Cambridge (not at UoC itself).

I was wondering is it possible to apply for a membership in any of the colleges without directly studying in UoC like in a form of Visiting Student or something similar.

Life's pretty boring without being a member of any college and it would be nice to be able to participate in some kind of activities, going to pubs, while I have my placement here.

Thanks.

Extremely unlikely unless you have a proper academic involvement with the university.
I'm sure there're many social/sports club in Cambridge for people who are not a member of the university. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by avsurround
Hey,

Thanks.

You can do all that without being a member of a college.

And Cambridge City even has it's own boat club - you don't need to be a member of (either) university.
http://www.cityrc.co.uk

I'm 100% sure there's plenty of other social clubs and activities in town that aren't based on CUSU or College societies.
Original post by jneill
You can do all that without being a member of a college.

And Cambridge City even has it's own boat club - you don't need to be a member of (either) university.
http://www.cityrc.co.uk

I'm 100% sure there's plenty of other social clubs and activities in town that aren't based on CUSU or College societies.

There're several boat clubs for towners.
Always very passionate about pointing out how bad some college rowers' behaviour on the river is. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending