The Student Room Group

Bad procrastinator

How do you motivate yourself to study?
Reply 1
Lol if you were a bad procrastinator, that would be a good thing :tongue:
Reply 2
Liking and having interest in the subjects that you take helps...
Its normal to sometimes feel like you don't want to do anything, give it maybe a day (unless you have a deadline to meet). Just think of what you will miss out on if you don't study; many a time have I shamed myself into studying something and ended up enjoying it as most of the time i learn something new and to me, that is rewarding.
The penalty of procrastination is losing your dreams and hopes.
I'm the queen of procrastination, I feel like nothing can motivate me tbh
Original post by 1lastchance
How do you motivate yourself to study?

Procrastination is probably the biggest issue in my academic life, in my first year of A-levels my grades were ridiculously inconsistent because of it, same for my first year at uni.

So far, the only thing that works for me is splitting up every task into tiny pieces. Say, for example, I have an exam I need to revise for. I'll have a bunch of little sheets of paper on my noticeboard and each one will have a task on it which takes very little time to complete: "Do a past paper question", "Read notes for 20 mins" etc. I throw away the note once I complete the task. Coming up closer to exams, I give myself a step-by-step list of what to do that day and really break it down (1. Wake up, 2. Eat breakfast...) so that when I get to point '8. Start studying' it feels like part of the routine. Also, waking up early helps, as I feel like I have more time in my day. It also helps to go places where you can't procrastinate much, like the library.

Most importantly, don't hold yourself to really high standards. I realised that part of the reason I didn't want to revise was because I felt like I failure if I only spent one hour revising in a day and all my other friends spent 10 hours. Remember that all work makes a difference towards the final product/grade, as long as you get something done don't beat yourself up over it.
I'm very much a do everything in the last minute so I have no advice really sorry :frown: xx

Quick Reply

Latest