The Student Room Group

Career-orientated Oxbridge Applicants

hh
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Thank you very much! XD
Original post by metalTree007
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for law at Oxbridge this year, and, after seeing quite a few successful personal statements where applicants claimed that they really loved the study of law itself, I was wondering whether the chances of getting in are smaller if you are more driven by the skills the degree would give you. I haven't seen a single personal statement that was more interested in the things one could get out of a law degree (especially at Oxbridge), and I was wondering whether this is a bad thing. I don't want to lie in my personal statement and say that I am so "fascinated by how powerful the law is" etc, because it would just result in my feeling too unnatural in the interview (if I'd even get one). I always feel as if Oxbridge students are mainly passionate about the subject itself, whereas I am much more passionate about the things the degree would allow me to do after university. I don't know whether they just want passionate people who definitely won't quit their studies or whether they want people who will one day do research and publish things, etc. I find it hard to believe that some people are desperate to study law because they "love" the subject, because no matter how much reading you do into your subject before you're applying, you're simply lacking the experience to develop a REALLY deep passion (unless you've personally been persecuted or had inspiring encounters with the law!).
So, to put it straight, I just want to know whether Oxford and Cambridge would just reject someone who is (before they start studying) more passionate about the types of job they could do (not necessarily the money aspect).

Thank you for reading my blabber! I'd really appreciate any answers! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Why not try LSE? Seems to be a better fit than Oxbridge.

I imagine you wouldn't get dinged just because you have a career in mind however..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest