The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE results

thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg

I picked up my results for core science today and I am not sure whether I need a remark?

Once I got home I converted the UMS scores into raw marks, this is what I got:
Biology - 19/60 [D] (7 more marks needed for a C)
Chemistry - 28/60 [D] (1 more mark needed for a C)
Physics - 20/60 [D] (2 more marks needed for a C)

I achieved a C grade overall mostly because of my controlled assessment I think.

Would it be worth getting a remark as I feel that I got more than 19 marks in Biology and I was close to a solid C in Chemistry and Physics??

The only thing that worrys me is that my grade could go down after a remark??

Someone please help me!
Perhaps in Chemistry and Physics, but would't advise Biology. I doubt they'd find 7 more marks on your paper. And you're right there is a chance you'll go down a grade too. But ultimately your choice.
Reply 2
What you need to consider is that you need a further 11 UMS marks to change your grade. So you would need to find those 13 marks from the 3 exam papers. It doesn't matter where the marks come from, so you could get them from the bio paper because it's the total marks overall that count, not the grades for each paper, that you need to change. That said, re-marks are super tough this year so it's unlikely a re-mark would change your grade.
Reply 3
Original post by Natasha.Cole
Perhaps in Chemistry and Physics, but would't advise Biology. I doubt they'd find 7 more marks on your paper. And you're right there is a chance you'll go down a grade too. But ultimately your choice.

Ha. Trust me, these days you can find 20-30 marks on a paper. They missed 5 marks on my biology paper, they probably can find a few on this individuals paper also. Also science is a common subject where remarks do normally come back with higher marks.
Reply 4
Original post by Vyres
Ha. Trust me, these days you can find 20-30 marks on a paper. They missed 5 marks on my biology paper, they probably can find a few on this individuals paper also. Also science is a common subject where remarks do normally come back with higher marks.

This was true in the past but not anymore. Re-mark policies have changed for this year. Now they are only correcting actual mistakes, not differences of opinions - so before if the original examiner thought a question was worth 2 marks and the re-mark examiner thinks 3 you would have been given the additional mark. This is no longer the case. Exam boards haven't advertised this as re-marks mean money, but I guarantee the number of successful re-marks this year will be WAY lower than any other year.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been a mistake on marking, there could have been, but if there is it's likely to be very minor. 11 UMS worth? I doubt it.
Reply 5
Original post by Clemm101
This was true in the past but not anymore. Re-mark policies have changed for this year. Now they are only correcting actual mistakes, not differences of opinions - so before if the original examiner thought a question was worth 2 marks and the re-mark examiner thinks 3 you would have been given the additional mark. This is no longer the case. Exam boards haven't advertised this as re-marks mean money, but I guarantee the number of successful re-marks this year will be WAY lower than any other year.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been a mistake on marking, there could have been, but if there is it's likely to be very minor. 11 UMS worth? I doubt it.

I honestly don't doubt it. Examiners these days make mistakes very frequently, as they normally do rush through exam papers. It is very much possible to find 11 UMS in a few exam papers. I honestly would always advise someone to remark a paper if they truly believe that they did better in it, because honestly you never know. In the off chance that they missed all those marks, imagine how you'd feel not being able to do the subject you love because of the mistake of an examiner. You have to take risks in life sometimes to get what you want, and a risk like this in my opinion and experience is completely worth it.
Original post by Vyres
I honestly don't doubt it. Examiners these days make mistakes very frequently, as they normally do rush through exam papers. It is very much possible to find 11 UMS in a few exam papers. I honestly would always advise someone to remark a paper if they truly believe that they did better in it, because honestly you never know. In the off chance that they missed all those marks, imagine how you'd feel not being able to do the subject you love because of the mistake of an examiner. You have to take risks in life sometimes to get what you want, and a risk like this in my opinion and experience is completely worth it.

So basically I got 223 UMS in my SCA1HP and SCA2HP which is a D. But how many marks did u need to get a C? I got 77 on the first paper and 91 on the second.
Reply 7
Original post by Vyres

While it is absolutely true that mistakes do happen, in the past they have more often than not been differences of examiner opinion rather than an actual mistake. Marking schemes are open to interpretation; one examiner will not always agree with another but that does not make either 'wrong' as such. Only if something is very clearly wrong will marks now change. It is exam board policy that has changed this year, not the number of 'mistakes' that are made. What would have been considered mistakes in past years are no longer considered mistakes.

Assuming that you have room to play with and won't drop a grade re-marks are always worth a go IF it really matters. If you really need a B rather than a C - say you are wanting to study Science A-Levels. You have some room to play with, if it matters there's no reason not to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest