The Student Room Group

What is the emergence of science?

I'm doing preparatory work for 6th form and it's asking me what it is but I can't find a straight answer online :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisTindall
I'm doing preparatory work for 6th form and it's asking me what it is but I can't find a straight answer online :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject is this for?
Original post by sindyscape62
What subject is this for?

AS Psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I think is's asking is how psychology started to use the scientific method and became a science- eg: experiments and testing hypotheses. Look into William Wundt- he was the first psychologist to run an experimental lab. Before that psychologists used logic and argument to draw conclusions about the mind without actually testing their ideas, which is not scientific. Also research the idea of empiricism, which is a big part of the scientific method and which psychology adopted later than subjects like physics and chemistry.
Original post by sindyscape62
What I think is's asking is how psychology started to use the scientific method and became a science- eg: experiments and testing hypotheses. Look into William Wundt- he was the first psychologist to run an experimental lab. Before that psychologists used logic and argument to draw conclusions about the mind without actually testing their ideas, which is not scientific. Also research the idea of empiricism, which is a big part of the scientific method and which psychology adopted later than subjects like physics and chemistry.

Thank you for putting me down the right path to research!! :smile: I didn't take Psychology at GCSE so they want me to catch up on everything but it doesn't help when they don't tell you which text book to get :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for putting me down the right path to research!! :smile: I didn't take Psychology at GCSE so they want me to catch up on everything but it doesn't help when they don't tell you which text book to get :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many schools (including mine) don't do psychology GCSE and people do fine at the A-level, so I don't think it's that useful- when you get told the right textbook it should include everything you need and you'll catch up in no time.

Quick Reply

Latest