The Student Room Group

tips for 3A*

Scroll to see replies

1) don't take Chem
You don't have to work as much as people are making out to get good grades. Just pay attention in lessons so that when you get to the exams nothing comes as a shock. Have fun outside of class during the year and then start to get your head down after the easter holiday. Oh and revise with clever people, get them to explain things to you if you don't understand, and spend time talking to them about things on the sylabus, it's a great way to learn
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Student403
surprised at all of these responses

you don't need to compromise your social life to get 3A*s or whatever

Got CCD in AS maths computing and physics . i need to do that lol
There is more to life, you can't revise all the time. Make sure you get time to relax and talk to people or you'll just burn out by the times your exams come.
keep revision ticking over all year, and then really focus around Feb/March time (6 hrs a day)
This is so true, i only got ABB A2 year in Maths physics computing, even tho i'm sure i did more or close to the same work as others. Some people are gifted some have to work a little harder for it
(edited 3 years ago)
I just chilled and made sure I knew all of the exam specification by January - 4/5 months before the exam.
It's not too challenging if you start of the beginning of the year hard then slowly phase down as you tick of all the exam spec points.

It is probably going to be very different with the new exam specifications and syllabus' and the linear format which is being phased in.
I heard that students doing the new spec courses such as Chemistry struggled to score A's and even B's this year as the difficulty has been cranked up a few notches.
step one - be intelligent
I didn't get the AS grades that I wanted but it's motivated me to work ALOT harder to get the grades that I do want for A2 ( hopefully 3A*'s lol) but I wanted to ask when applying to uni do I tell them my AS grades ?
Reply 69
Original post by RDKGames
Revise. Forget your social life. And yes they are.

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Don't have friends at sixth form

Rubbish.

OP, you can have a perfectly normal social life and still get A*A*A*, just manage your time well and work efficiently. A Levels aren't that bad.
I'm wanting to get A*AA-A*A*A* as well.

When is the 'best' time to start revising? I've just started my A2 courses this week, and have early entry for UCAS so am working on that right now and making sure it's ready to be sent off by the 28th September (internal college deadline).

I am prepared to work non-stop, I just don't know when is the best time to start? January, February, March, April? Or even as early as November, December?
Don't go on social media/games/TV until at least 10pm each day. Should work as an incentive to work productively during the evening and that way you won't miss out on the fun stuff. Just make sure that when you do revise, all possible distractions are removed
Original post by Maths is Life

Then again iPhone has night mode.
Using the phone should make you sleepy if you're just reading so that could be a plus.....

Lol no doesn't
Original post by Abdifarah
Got CCD in AS maths computing and physics . i need to do that lol

Rather than thinking your revision it's fine and you just need to spend more time, try revising and learning in a different way.
Original post by alow
Rubbish.

OP, you can have a perfectly normal social life and still get A*A*A*, just manage your time well and work efficiently. A Levels aren't that bad.

Thank you
What separates A and A* students? I mean obviously its harder to get an A* but what is it exactly that A* students do that A students don't? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm finding it hard to articulate what I mean.
Reply 75
Original post by DarkEnergy
What separates A and A* students? I mean obviously its harder to get an A* but what is it exactly that A* students do that A students don't? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm finding it hard to articulate what I mean.

In some cases, get lucky in the exam (e.g. I probably under prepared for Physics and English Lit at A level and just scraped by to A* in the exam by a couple marks in each). Otherwise, if we're talking about being able to consistently get into the A* bracket, and preferably somewhat deep into it, in a subject, then really I think it comes down to exam technique and full knowledge; lacking key understanding of any particular aspect can take you down enough marks to go into the A, as can poor exam technique. Basically, A* students know the syllabus and the structures of papers and mark schemes like the back of their hand, and they know how to approach an exam. They know how to check their answers efficiently (particularly for science subjects), they know how much time to spend on things, they can work quickly and accurately. They'll tend to really have thought about the material and comprehend it at a strong level rather than simply being able to regurgitate things or follow a method. That is not to say that A students can't do some of these things, but anyone who does them all will surely get an A*.
get 4a*
Reply 77
Original post by newblood
get 4a*

get 5a*
Original post by DarkEnergy

I got A*A*A*A at A2 this year (in maths, further maths, chemistry and biology respectively) and will be going to St Catz, Oxford to study chemistry. I think it's quite clear at the top level the distinction between these grades. An A is a grade that is achievable by anyone who studies their content and knows it thoroughly, but to get an A* requires knowledge of how to answer questions so that you get every mark. As in being able to deduce what is required of each mark, writing out the relevant points for each and then saying afterwards: this, this and that will each give me a mark so the answer is complete.
I think this is only really possible by doing past paper questions, looking at markschemes, and practising the answers to the questions that come up often, eg the 6 markers in biology on structure/function of enzymes
Original post by AsianMetalhead
I got A*A*A*A at A2 this year (in maths, further maths, chemistry and biology respectively) and will be going to St Catz, Oxford to study chemistry. I think it's quite clear at the top level the distinction between these grades. An A is a grade that is achievable by anyone who studies their content and knows it thoroughly, but to get an A* requires knowledge of how to answer questions so that you get every mark. As in being able to deduce what is required of each mark, writing out the relevant points for each and then saying afterwards: this, this and that will each give me a mark so the answer is complete.
I think this is only really possible by doing past paper questions, looking at markschemes, and practising the answers to the questions that come up often, eg the 6 markers in biology on structure/function of enzymes

Wow, congratulations on the results and congrats on getting into Oxford!! I will also be doing Maths and Chemistry at A-level, along with Physics. I got an A in Chemistry this year (AS) but I don't find out my raw marks until I go back to college, but I assume they will be fairly high. In Maths however, I unfortunately got a B (3 ums off an A) due to a severe lack of preparation which is 100% my fault. Do you have any tips for Maths and Chemistry?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest