The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unistudent77
It's deluded to think meat eating will be in the minority in the future.

People can choose to eat meat, people can choose to not.

Personally i like eating meat and i have been in a slaughter house. I'm aware where my food comes from having grown up on a farm and still live in an area surrounded by farms.

All my lambs were burnt due to foot and mouth. Burnt right in front of me.

Their death was nothing to do with my meat consumption. Yes, they were bred to ultimately be eaten but nature took them rather barbarically away.

The animal kingdom is pretty rough. Going vegitarian won't make those lovely cute foxes not maul the chickens next door.
It won't stop the crows picking at the severed body of a rabbit.
It is what it is.

I think we have to try and be as humane as possible but we need to kill it to eat it so that's that.

All my pets are going to get old and unfortunately die. It's life.

However, people can abstain from eating meat. That's genuinely fine by me but if they push it in front of my face and try and shame others for eating meat, then that will annoy me

Hypothetical question: if it became viable to quit meat consumption while still easily meeting even the most demanding nutritional requirements (ie. due to fungal proteins and decent meat substitutes with the appropriate amounts of macro and micronutrients), would you keep eating meat? At that point, producing a bunch of sentient creatures for the sole purpose of slaughtering them wouldn't be necessary for anything more than enjoyment.

Original post by Philbert
Good Lord, what is it with meat eaters getting upset about veggies/vegans talikg about their choices? You didn;t have to click on this thread, no-one is "forcing" anything down your throat. Grow up, kids.
Yeah, it seems that any such discussion brings up passive-aggressive contributions from some edgy meat eaters. I struggle to find like-minded, level-headed meat eaters who are willing to look at the situation without bias.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Philbert
Good Lord, what is it with meat eaters getting upset about veggies/vegans talikg about their choices? You didn;t have to click on this thread, no-one is "forcing" anything down your throat. Grow up, kids.

Mockery and ridicule passes for sound arguments these days. Our culture is becoming quite pathetic.
I have no problem eating meat - however I have a problem with how it's done. One of the much overlooked benefits of being a Muslim (which I am) is that I have 100% certainty that until the animals are slaughtered, they are kept in the most humane environment possible. For example, animals must be free-range. They cannot be slaughtered in front of other animals. They must be fed and sheltered humanely (no mad cow disease from cow-cannibalism). They must be killed with a single stroke to the jugular, making it a painless death. They cannot be stunned (electrocution, how is this legal?), shot, or bludgeoned.

Unfortunately, it's the people doing the killing that are to blame, not the act of eating the meat itself.
real men eat meat
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That was a part of my argument, not all of it. But it's true, if you eat raw cabbage you will be fine, if you eat raw meat you will get ill. We aren't carnivores,, if a lion eats raw meat that is okay because it is a part of his diet and basic biology, we don't need meat to survive.

That says it all really.
I'm sorry but this is the worst argument against eating meat I have ever heard, it's called cooking the meat lol. People in the Stone Age did it with fire, and were probably more resistant to raw meat anyway than we are in our hyper-hygienic society. You do realise that people used to hunt mammoths to EAT, right? It's not just some new phenomenon. If you look at our dental structure then we have teeth that are well adapted to eating both meat and vegetation, we clearly are omnivores. No, we don't need it to survive, but it still has many vital compounds in it that are otherwise frustrating to consume (I don't fancy chomping down on a hundred nuts each day, for example).
Original post by otah007
I have no problem eating meat - however I have a problem with how it's done. One of the much overlooked benefits of being a Muslim (which I am) is that I have 100% certainty that until the animals are slaughtered, they are kept in the most humane environment possible. For example, animals must be free-range. They cannot be slaughtered in front of other animals. They must be fed and sheltered humanely (no mad cow disease from cow-cannibalism). They must be killed with a single stroke to the jugular, making it a painless death. They cannot be stunned (electrocution, how is this legal?), shot, or bludgeoned.

Unfortunately, it's the people doing the killing that are to blame, not the act of eating the meat itself.
"They must be killed with a single stroke to the jugular, making it a painless death"

Are you actually being serious or are you just an idiot? Because you literally just said that having your throat slashed is painless.
https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-Hindu-holy-books-say-about-eating-meat

This thread has made me feel extremely proud of being born in the religion( i know its not a religion but a way of life and stuff ) i was born in.I feel very happy right now that i live in a Vegan majority country ( It may be true although that i may move later) and guess what? My ancestors have probably been vegan for atleast 3000-4000 years now combined. Everyone in my family is vegan aswell to this day, we've been carrying the tradition for thousands of years it seems
And those of you who think that vegan food cannot be nutritious and super tasty i would urge you to try Indian food especially street food( Too bad tho that it Will be very hard for you to find in the UK if not impossible)
And no vegans are not malnutritioned. I'm 17 years old and 5'10 and around 70 kgs so.

Note-No i dont have anything against people who eat meat as long as they respect my decision of not wanting to eat meat. And yes im an (Agnostic) Hindu obviously.:cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
As a vegetarian - these posts are just bad ideas. You'd be angry if someone shoved their meat diet in your face, so please don't make people think even more that vegetarians think they're morally superior. All you're doing is adding to the stereotype of us never shutting up about our diets...

When the topic comes up, discuss. But please don't randomly have a go at people.
Reply 128
That was a part of my argument, not all of it. But it's true, if you eat raw cabbage you will be fine, if you eat raw meat you will get ill. We aren't carnivores, if a lion eats raw meat that is okay because it is a part of his diet and basic biology, we don't need meat to survive.

That says it all really.

Your argument can be used against any kind of processed food, bread, yogurt, canning, frozen food, etc. and even cooking.
(edited 7 years ago)
I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

How does wanting a cup of tea or coffee stop you from being vegan? You do realise there are plant alternatives to cows milk, right? Soy milk isn't half bad in tea/ coffee. I wouldn't recommend almond milk though :puke:
Reply 130
Okay, so a tiny history about moi. I used to be a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years, I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

You don't kill animals by drinking milk or eating eggs. I don't see how they are related to the slaughterhouses that disgust you. You may not be able to call yourself a "true vegan" if you eat them, but is it really the goal?
Original post by Josb
You don't kill animals by drinking milk or eating eggs. I don't see how they are related to the slaughterhouses that disgust you. You may not be able to call yourself a "true vegan" if you eat them, but is it really the goal?

Exactly i agree 100%
The goal is to not eat animals and drinking milk atleast is not at all against the goal

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't watched the video or read most of this topic, but I can tell you you're in the wrong place.

Firstly, I have felt guilt eating meat over the last couple of years through stumbling over slaughterhouse videos etc.. That much is true. But I'm the skinniest person I know and need my protein.

Some time this month I thought I'd try Quorn burgers just to see if I could live as a vegetarian and yes, I could, they were just as good as normal burgers if not better. But I had no idea how to cook them because it said spread oil on them and put them in the oven.. I just moved in to my own place, I'm not putting something highly flammable into somewhere very hot! If someone like me did that the place would be burnt down to the ground.

But anyway, here's the other problem. Meat free products such as Quorn are expensive. More expensive than meat itself. And to anyone like me with not all that much money to throw around, spending more on almost the same thing just for ethical reasons might simply not be an option.

My point is, if you want something done about it, then campaign to supermarkets or something in an effort to get them to reduce the prices or even better, add vegetarian products to their value brands so more people might be convinced to buy them, if it's cheaper than meat itself.

But acting all sad on a forum and trying to show us videos to make us sad as well over an issue which we might not have a problem with, I'm afraid, is going to get you nowhere. We can't do anything about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so a tiny history about moi. I used to be a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years, I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

I tried meat a little while ago again, a few times and at the time I thought nothing of it. My mindset was "I've saved enough animals in the last 3 years, I can enjoy a chicken burger right?"

I was going through a rough patch at the time and was a bit numb to everything in life so I didn't really care where the meat was coming from or if the animals died for my plate.

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

Anyway, I saw this video last night and I cried and cried. I feel that this kind of practice should be illegal, playing God with an innocent beings life. The way all the baby lambs huddled in fear because they knew that they would be next. This kind of killing makes me embarrassed of myself (that I tried meat again) and anyone who uses "meat is tasty" as an excuse for this type of killing.

Anyway, I am now 100% vegan. I will not contribute to any of this disgusting behaviour. I've hated vegans in the past, especially militant vegans but honestly this is disgusting and it turns my stomach.

I haven't really got a question, I just felt like expressing these feelings somewhere. However please do comment if you eat meat and feel fine doing after knowing about all this stuff.

You would've loved Monkey Dust:

[video="youtube;1-ltJzJaCE4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ltJzJaCE4[/video]
Original post by UWS
Meh, I just eat the meat without thinking about it.

Even when I do think about it, I love eating it! Yes I'm a cold hearted bastard. I forgot my mum's birthday one year.

You monster!
Original post by FightToWin

Firstly, I have felt guilt eating meat over the last couple of years through stumbling over slaughterhouse videos etc.. That much is true. But I'm the skinniest person I know and need my protein.

It's a myth that you can only get protein from meat, you can get it from beans, lentils, vegetables, etc.

Also if you're skinny and want to grow then you don't really need an insane amount of protein, you need a steady amount which prob wont exceed 100g. What you really need is calories.
I just like my steaks too much...
I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons and I don't like to see animals be harmed but this is my personal opinion! I hold no judgement against anyone who does and I don't care to be honest! It's my decision and I understand why, we are omnivores, we can eat meat like any other omnivore. People like the taste and it gives sustenance.. It's the food chain.
Original post by Moira O' Hara1
I've been raised to be a pescetarian. Most people ask me what that means, and when I say "I only eat fish and everything else that a vegetarian eats" they're like "you're still killing fish, you're as bad as we are".

NO. Let me tell you that fish wouldn't understand what was going on if they were going to be killed so they wouldn't suffer, unlike pigs which are one of the smartest animals and can recognise pain. So now tell me whether killing fish is as bad as killing on-land animals.
Over the years I have fully understood why my parents "opted out":

-The living conditions of chickens are extreme- 25,000 to a small shed where they they have no personal space, living in their own ****.
- Mac Donalds-sorry to moan but I hate fast-food places- is one of the main reasons as to why our rainforests our suffering, trees are cut down to make way for cattle, which will be used for beef. Why do we have Climate Change? WELL the cattles emit methane which is bad for the environment, and chopping down trees releases CO2.
- Not only is MacDonalds bad for the environment, but is also made up of processed food which is extrememly bad for our body- it increases the chances of health risks
- if you don't eat on-land animals you will increase your life length, be healthier and decrease the risks of getting diseases and health problems
- If you eat steak, you will be most likely put off by this- it takes 4 days for your body to process steak that means it stays in your gut for 4 days which is going to damage your body and give you health risks.

I'm sorry to rant but I'm fed up with people complaining at me for being a Pescetarian, they are the ones who are going to suffer because they don't fully understand the risks with this. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to eat differently but I want my opinion to be heard and not neglected- this is serious and some people do not understand what they are getting themselves into.

I'm sorry but you cant say that fish don't suffer. Most fish are gutted alive or suffocate to death. Fishing also has massive environmental impacts whether through farming, netting etc. But as I said in a previous post no industry perfect and improvements could be made everywhere. For example the rainforest is being cut down to grow oil for Galaxy chocolate.
Also research into whether vegetarians live longer is currently uncertain and shows more research is definitely needed.

Original post by otah007

Okay, so slitting the throat of animals is the most effective way of killing sheep, this cannot be denied as I said in my other post the blood vessels in sheep means its rendered dead almost instantly. This is not the most effective way of killing cattle and cattle killed in this way have a slow and painful death and their vessels run differently to a sheep. Stunning is used because the animal is rendered unconcious instantly so the animal cannot feel any pain what so ever and doesn't know what is happening, you question why its legal. Its legal because its the least cruel method of killing the animal as they cannot feel anything. I refuse to buy non-stunned meat because of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
The "we evolved eating meat" argument is so invalid. Eating meat thousands of years ago was necessary for survival, nowadays it's simply due to greed and because it's the social norm. Meat production, whilst causing the suffering of billions of animals is also crippling the planet and contributing to world hunger, if the whole world adopted a western diet we would need a planet three times the size of earth to facilitate the production of meat necessary to feed everyone. Also despite what macdobalds have told you animals in slaughter houses are not humanely killed. They're starved and transported in cramped, hot conditions and arrive exhausted barely able to stand. They're branded on the face to idicate what they're going for and forced into the kill chamber where a bolt gun shoots them in the head. This often doesn't kill them and they're then dragged away to be butchered whilst still alive. Pigs and chickens normally have it even worse as they're kept in much worse conditions than cows when reared. Meat, no matter which way you look at it is evil.

Quick Reply

Latest