The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Okay, so a tiny history about moi. I used to be a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years, I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

I tried meat a little while ago again, a few times and at the time I thought nothing of it. My mindset was "I've saved enough animals in the last 3 years, I can enjoy a chicken burger right?"

I was going through a rough patch at the time and was a bit numb to everything in life so I didn't really care where the meat was coming from or if the animals died for my plate.

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

Anyway, I saw this video last night and I cried and cried. I feel that this kind of practice should be illegal, playing God with an innocent beings life. The way all the baby lambs huddled in fear because they knew that they would be next. This kind of killing makes me embarrassed of myself (that I tried meat again) and anyone who uses "meat is tasty" as an excuse for this type of killing.

[video="youtube;WO6Wd1i7eoM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6Wd1i7eoM[/video]

Anyway, I am now 100% vegan. I will not contribute to any of this disgusting behaviour. I've hated vegans in the past, especially militant vegans but honestly this is disgusting and it turns my stomach.

I haven't really got a question, I just felt like expressing these feelings somewhere. However please do comment if you eat meat and feel fine doing after knowing about all this stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't eat as much meat after watching slaughter house videos on youtube. It's so sad.
Reply 2
We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Okay, so a tiny history about moi. I used to be a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years, I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

I tried meat a little while ago again, a few times and at the time I thought nothing of it. My mindset was "I've saved enough animals in the last 3 years, I can enjoy a chicken burger right?"

I was going through a rough patch at the time and was a bit numb to everything in life so I didn't really care where the meat was coming from or if the animals died for my plate.

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

Anyway, I saw this video last night and I cried and cried. I feel that this kind of practice should be illegal, playing God with an innocent beings life. The way all the baby lambs huddled in fear because they knew that they would be next. This kind of killing makes me embarrassed of myself (that I tried meat again) and anyone who uses "meat is tasty" as an excuse for this type of killing.

[video="youtube;WO6Wd1i7eoM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6Wd1i7eoM[/video]

Anyway, I am now 100% vegan. I will not contribute to any of this disgusting behaviour. I've hated vegans in the past, especially militant vegans but honestly this is disgusting and it turns my stomach.

I haven't really got a question, I just felt like expressing these feelings somewhere. However please do comment if you eat meat and feel fine doing after knowing about all this stuff?

This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist, who vapes and crossfits 4 times a week. And I'm also a male feminist as I identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog mega multi combo god of hyper death and if you dont agree with me, then you're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic sexist lesbian.
I think it's perfectly okay to kill animals for meat, but I think slaughterhouse practices need to be more humane. I think it's important that you get your meat from good sources.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just thinking about the pain that the animal goes through really gets me going
Original post by saraxh
I don't eat as much meat after watching slaughter house videos on youtube. It's so sad.

It so very, very sad and inhumane. Me and my mum were talking about it and it almost brought me to tears again. I can almost feel their fear, and it just upsets me so much.

I'm not promoting veganism. I couldn't careless what people eat but I just don't understand HOW they can eat meat knowing where it comes from and knowing the pain behind it all. It blows my mind.

But I mean humans kill humans, this world is disgusting so I'm not surprised people eat meat without thinking about it.

Original post by IWMTom
We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.

I don't care for the history, I don't care if my ancestors ate meat to survive etc etc. It's just so disgusting to see this, in out 21st century continue and no-one bats an eyelid. When is it ever okay to cause any living being pain?

I'm not an attention seeker, I just feel upset about it.
i use a knife and fork, or fingers followed by teeth to get into that sweet, luscious, divine cooked animal carcass
I'm literally and ironically reading this thread while eating chicken.
Reply 9
I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

So obv you feel strongly against killing animals for our pleasure, which is totally reasonable. I do too. Now you say you've tried going vegan but couldn't because you couldn't resist a cup of tea or cake??? I mean that's just poor effort and you can do better. There are alternatives to milk and there are vegan cakes. Try and build your self discapline.

Also going to vegan events like Vegfest or Vevolution will help greatly with how to approach veganism and it's good motivation to keep saving the animals and the planet :biggrin:
Original post by Lucasium
Just thinking about the pain that the animal goes through really gets me going

It's SO upsetting. When I think about it a lot, it really gets to me. How is this even legal? What if they were human and had a voice?

The way the lambs were being killed, one after another is so sickening. They just had the most beautiful little faces, WHY would anyone and HOW could anyone kill them?
Reply 11

I don't care for the history, I don't care if my ancestors ate meat to survive etc etc. It's just so disgusting to see this, in out 21st century continue and no-one bats an eyelid. When is it ever okay to cause any living being pain?

I'm not an attention seeker, I just feel upset about it.

This happens every day in the animal kingdom - animals eating animals - what do you propose to do about that? Just stop the food chain? This whole not eating meat malarky is a frivolous attempt at retaining "morals" that quite frankly aren't correct.
Reply 12
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think it's perfectly okay to kill animals for meet

Meat*

Why do you think that? I'm just curious, but wouldn't taking the life of something that didn't want to die go against your morals?
It's totally fine if it doesn't, which is understandable because everyone has their own moral values :smile:
Reply 13
Meh, I just eat the meat without thinking about it.

Even when I do think about it, I love eating it! Yes I'm a cold hearted bastard. I forgot my mum's birthday one year.
Original post by 0range
So obv you feel strongly against killing animals for our pleasure, which is totally reasonable. I do too. Now you say you've tried going vegan but couldn't because you couldn't resist a cup of tea or cake??? I mean that's just poor effort and you can do better. There are alternatives to milk and there are vegan cakes. Try and build your self discapline.

Also going to vegan events like Vegfest or Vevolution will help greatly with how to approach veganism and it's good motivation to keep saving the animals and the planet :biggrin:

It was poor effort, really poor actually. Like it's a cup of tea ffs. I could have drunk it black anyway.

I'm not a fan of soy milk but almond I can live with :u: I have yet to try rice milk actually.

I will literally never touch dairy or meat ever again. I don't want to be the reason why a baby calf is torn away from it's mother and why the mother has spent her whole life producing milk in a concrete factory floor. It is disgusting.

I will repeat this again, how is this **** even legal?

Imagine a womans baby being torn from her and her spending her whole life on a factory floor producing milk?
@TheonlyMrsHolmes I lost it when you said you had "saved" animals from death.
And I'm pretty sure most slaughterhouses make death as fast as possible, like by electric shock to the head for example.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
This happens every day in the animal kingdom - animals eating animals - what do you propose to do about that? Just stop the food chain? This whole not eating meat malarky is a frivolous attempt at retaining "morals" that quite frankly aren't correct.

I know. Lions it meat and fish eat other fish etc.

I know it happens but for one, lions don't store their meat in factories for months/ years before they finally slaughter them. They don't make money out of it, and it's for survival and not greed.

Another thing, humans don't need meat to survive.
I honestly think that in 100 years we'll look back on meat-eaters the same way we look back on slave-owners now. It's a subject that completely doesn't resolve morally if you think that causing suffering is bad. And y'know, most people do.
Original post by cbreef
I lost it when you said you had "saved" animals from death.
And I'm pretty sure most slaughterhouses make death as fast as possible, like by electric shock to the head for example.

I obviously meant that I didn't contribute to an animals death personally.

Not all slaughter houses, and their are many different types of animals that are for many "uses". So I'm not just talking about killing for meat, killing for eggs are just as bad. Marking the animals with hot metal rods is bad, inseminating cows is bad.

It's all inhumane, you can't make slaughter houses humane. It's impossible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

Quick Reply

Latest