The Student Room Group

tips for 3A*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
Wow, congratulations on the results and congrats on getting into Oxford!! I will also be doing Maths and Chemistry at A-level, along with Physics. I got an A in Chemistry this year (AS) but I don't find out my raw marks until I go back to college, but I assume they will be fairly high. In Maths however, I unfortunately got a B (3 ums off an A) due to a severe lack of preparation which is 100% my fault. Do you have any tips for Maths and Chemistry?

Thanks

Thank you! :smile: And for maths, I think it is quite simply a case of doing questions and past papers over and over again until it is drilled into your mind, but a lot of people forget that in order to really improve your maths you have to be able to spot mistakes and be able to work without creating too many mistakes in the first place. And C3/4 always catches people out, especially C4 integration and C3 implicit differentiation, so the earlier you can work at that the better.
For chemistry, I think in order to do well, you just have to work through and understand your classwork. Sounds simple enough, but grasping some topics such as reaction rates and their relation to mechanisms is difficult for many. The majority of my chemistry understanding was built in lessons unlike for maths which was done through past papers at the end of the year.
All the best! :biggrin:
Reply 81
I got the grades you are hoping for (A*A*A*A) and I found that making very thorough notes on the revision guide helped me the most (basically copying the entire thing out 3 times). I also used the specification as a check list to see if I knew everything, sometimes exam boards like to hide things in the specification that they leave out of the revision guide. Lastly around 1 month before my exams started I did every past paper 2/3 times. This was probably overkill but what helped the most was using the mark scheme to mark it myself. This way you can see all the possible answers you could have given to the question.
Reply 82
Original post by BB8
Stay healthy. Don't pull all nighters, eat right and exercise. You'll be able to concentrate and focus better, and exercise will lower your stress levels. And don't withdraw from your social life altogether - keep facebook, twitter etc., but don't spend too much time on it. Go out with your friends every so often. Make sure you are as healthy and relaxed as you can be - at the same time as revising content every weekend and going over anything you don't get asap

Constant, steady revision over the entire year alongside a healthy life is your best bet :smile:

Also, use your free periods wisely.

Edit: I got A*A*A in Maths, History and Biology respectively

How'd you get a A* in History?!?!
Reply 83
is ABC to A*AA achievable?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
get 5a*

Why stop there?
Do some EPQs and get 7A*s
Original post by mahmzo
is ABC to A*AA achievable?

Why not?
What subjects are you doing?

With the new linear/synoptic system you could aim for 3A*s like the thread title says
Reply 86
Can someone please explain to me if i can acheive an A* in maths.
I got 234 UMS at AS. It says you need 480 UMS overall plus 180 in C3 and C4 does that mean i need 500 to get an a*. Or is it 480 ( including the 180 in c3 and c4)
Reply 87
Original post by mahmzo
I got 234 UMS at AS. It says you need 480 UMS overall plus 180 in C3 and C4 does that mean i need 500 to get an a*. Or is it 480 ( including the 180 in c3 and c4)

480 including C3 and C4.
Original post by mahmzo

Basically next year you need at least 90 ums in c3 and 4 and at least 66 ums in your other unit to get the A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsianMetalhead
I got A*A*A*A at A2 this year (in maths, further maths, chemistry and biology respectively) and will be going to St Catz, Oxford to study chemistry. I think it's quite clear at the top level the distinction between these grades. An A is a grade that is achievable by anyone who studies their content and knows it thoroughly, but to get an A* requires knowledge of how to answer questions so that you get every mark. As in being able to deduce what is required of each mark, writing out the relevant points for each and then saying afterwards: this, this and that will each give me a mark so the answer is complete.
I think this is only really possible by doing past paper questions, looking at markschemes, and practising the answers to the questions that come up often, eg the 6 markers in biology on structure/function of enzymes

Did the exact same subjects as you and i got BDDD at AS. I'm dropping chem and Bio and picking up something less rigorous like finance to complement my maths A levels..
Anybody suggesting you need to kill your social life entirely is clearly an amateur.
Reply 91
Dude, you can still have a social life. Procrastination when at home was my problem. Just don't do that.
Original post by Chemgawd99
for AS I achieved AAAC in maths, physics, chemistry and further maths respectively. For my A2 year, I will be studying maths, physics and chemistry and retaking AS FM. I hope to get 3A* and an A. Do you have any tips on doing this task, plus are A2's harder than AS?

The people in my year who just got 3 A*s did subjects that are very closely connected. For instance, one mathmatician, who is now off to Cambridge, did Maths, Further Maths and Physics. The Further Maths supported his Core Maths skills and doing Mechanics 2 and Mechanics 3 helped with Physics. I assume that you're planning on going to Uni straight after your A2 exams and that raises the question of whether or not it is actually worth retaking Further Maths :/

If you think you can do it, then go for it! Anyhow, to get 3 A*s, you must put 100% effort into your next year. Make sure you fully understand every single thing that is being taught to you as you're being taught it. Start full time revision shortly before Easter and you'll be fine. And yes, A2's are harder than AS's. Best of luck! :smile:

PS: Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing at Uni?
Original post by RThornton
The jump from AS to A2 is much less than the jump from GCSE to AS. I did the same subjects as you and got AAAB at AS, and came out with A*A*A*A* at the end of A2. Just keep going, remember papers, papers, papers. Check mark schemes and the examiner reports to ensure you write what the examiners want to hear and you'll be fine, good luck

Thats encouraging. I sort of got the same thing for AS although technically my B grade isn't certificated so it isn't declared. I'm really hoping for 4 A*s at A2 or at least 3 A*s plus an A* in EPQ. Even though my maths modules have killed my chances of getting into Cambridge or Imperial for engineering, I want to still get these grades because I know I'm good enough to do it if I work at it since I got 87/100 in history (A was 75) and an A in physics and in maths C1 98 C2 99 and S1 89. I was just let down by the FP1 M1 C3 and D1, mainly due to medical problems at the time, so I'm pretty sure if I retake FP1 and C3 I can get the grades I want. Its just a shame Cambridge and Imperial don't accept retakes and ask for all your modules so even my personal statement which is packed full of all the courses, reading, projects, work experience and extracurricular activities I've done won't help me now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Maths is Life
Why not?
What subjects are you doing?

With the new linear/synoptic system you could aim for 3A*s like the thread title says

I am doing Physics,Maths,Computer Science.

I got A,B,C respectively.
Original post by Chemgawd99
for AS I achieved AAAC in maths, physics, chemistry and further maths respectively. For my A2 year, I will be studying maths, physics and chemistry and retaking AS FM. I hope to get 3A* and an A. Do you have any tips on doing this task, plus are A2's harder than AS?

Hi, I recently got my grades and I got the grades you are hoping for in exactly those subjects. There is no secret to it apart from hard work. Make sure your course work is excellent, but don't waste as much time as I did trying to get the last few coursework marks. The bit people are saying about forgetting your social life does have some truth to it. Don't be ridiculous with it, but no matter who you are you need to work hard for those marks. Do every past paper you can't get your hands on numerous times, and get teachers to mark some of them, so you can check how well you are marking them. Wrote detailed answers where you go wrong and Learn those answers. However make sure to save some past papers till exam time. I never found the A2 jumps a big deal, apart from maths.
i achieved only a meagre A*A*A and was on the verge of drinking clorax so if you don't get 3A* you've basically failed gl
I really want to get 3A*'s, taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths (and General Studies :colonhash:) Any advice from anyone who has done these subjects? Much appreciated!
Original post by mahmzo

You're right 500UMS put simply.

So 80UMS average in 4 other units
And 90UMS average in C3 and C4
(100+80 even and vice versa)

As long as the 4 other units add up to 320+
And C3 and C4 add up to 180+
Reply 99
Original post by Maths is Life
You're right 500UMS put simply.

So 80UMS average in 4 other units
And 90UMS average in C3 and C4
(100+80 even and vice versa)