The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa spanish

Hi, I know that this is a long shot but I feel as if something terrible has happened with GCSE AQA Spanish this year. I realised this on Thursday when my sister and my friends got their results back. Throughout the course of the year my sister was predicted an A/A* and all of her controlled assessment tasks both speaking and writing were marked (by her subject teacher) at a high A/A*. When she got her results back from the exam board on Thursday, it was noticed that my sister had been marked at a borderline D/C for both her controlled assessment tasks. I thought that this may have just been her but after speaking to over 40 students who took GCSE Spanish with AQA at my school I have realised that this problem occurred through the majority of people.

Therefore, I would like to ask you all to PLEASE REPLY BELOW WITH THE GRADE YOU GOT FOR SPANISH OVERALL AND YOUR PREDICTED GRADE.

Thank you, my sister also got a C and a U in her reading and listening exams when all through the year in mocks the lowest she got was a B.

Jasmine.
Reply 1
Original post by jasmine_cannon
Hi, I know that this is a long shot but I feel as if something terrible has happened with GCSE AQA Spanish this year. I realised this on Thursday when my sister and my friends got their results back. Throughout the course of the year my sister was predicted an A/A* and all of her controlled assessment tasks both speaking and writing were marked (by her subject teacher) at a high A/A*. When she got her results back from the exam board on Thursday, it was noticed that my sister had been marked at a borderline D/C for both her controlled assessment tasks. I thought that this may have just been her but after speaking to over 40 students who took GCSE Spanish with AQA at my school I have realised that this problem occurred through the majority of people.

Therefore, I would like to ask you all to PLEASE REPLY BELOW WITH THE GRADE YOU GOT FOR SPANISH OVERALL AND YOUR PREDICTED GRADE.

Thank you, my sister also got a C and a U in her reading and listening exams when all through the year in mocks the lowest she got was a B.

Jasmine.

This happened to me. My controlled assessment in writing was dropped down from an A* to a B. I was really surprised as I felt confident about it. I got an A in the end but was predicted an A*.
Original post by lonyeka
This happened to me. My controlled assessment in writing was dropped down from an A* to a B. I was really surprised as I felt confident about it. I got an A in the end but was predicted an A*.
Me too, I was estimated an A* but got a B in the end. My CA dropped two grades. I hope this is some kind of mess up because it is really not fair on those who worked really hard for a grade.
Well my target was a C and I came out with an A* overall. I got an A* in writing but only a B in speaking. In the exams I got an A* in listening and an A* in reading (full ums).
I was really surprised as I only took this course for a year!

The problem lies in the coursework, teachers aren't supposed to mark the writing, the moderators do so it could be a case that the moderator didn't think the writing coursework was up to the standard that your teacher thought. It might also suggest that the moderator thought that the coursework between students was similar? I don't know. Ask your teachers for advice but apart from that I'm sorry but you are going to have to stick with the grade you got.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your coursework dropped because the teacher marked it too generously.
Um I think it was down to the teacher marking the coursework perhaps rather generously (not sure, but I think).

I was predicted A* and achieved an A*. My coursework was marked at full marks across the writing and speaking and after moderation this didn't change. This was also with AQA, so I don't really know what to think. Perhaps the examiners for some particular schools were harsh. I'm not really sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
This happened at my school too, my writing coursework was given A* overall by my teacher and went down to a B. My friend was given A/B borderline and hers went down to an E which led to her failing Spanish. Not sure what happened there. Mine wasn't even one being moderated so they must have decided to drop all of our schools Spanish writing coursework down as one of my other close friends coursework went from two off full marks to a B or maybe an A. Our Spanish teacher is appealing against it and having the marking reviewed.
I've been obtaining A* consistently for the past 2 years of my Spanish study, I got the occasional A on a bad day but never lower, and yet even with finding the exam fairly easy, I came out with a B (equivalent to a mark of 229). I cant make heads or tails of the grade boundaries but I got an a*; a; c and another c. A lot of other people in my year experienced this, with rumours going about saying all our results are being appealed. im hoping it goes up, this B looks really out of place amongst all my A's
XD

Latest