The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Overrated: Any London uni not named Royal Holloway (I know it's technically not in London but its part of the group), Imperial College London, or Royal Veterinary College. Specific focus on LSE, UCL, King's. Just go to Durham instead.

It's usually not worth the astronomical cost of living, and often suffer from very poor satisfaction rates. I mean god when you're LSE and ECONOMICS has a 79% "overall satisfied" you know something is wrong. Also they tend to mire around in the bottom end of the annual THE Student Experience Survey. Only the three listed above are at or above the national average. Still expensive to go to, but their course quality is of a much higher standard.

Underrated: Bit tougher. Generally I'd bring up QUB since it is for some reason considered the worst RG uni by many, and it's location turns people off. It has a beautiful campus and puts alot of effort into its facilities. Belfast is also the cheapest city to live in the UK.

Other than that, Lincoln is a massive success story. They've raced up around 40 places in the last 8 years and have broken into the nation top 50 (still going up). The staff powered this uni forward from being an ex-poly to a rather decent university.

Plymouth University is another that I consider a good ex-poly. Carved themselves out a big niche doing marine stuff, and they are good in healthcare and medicine related stuff too I've heard.
Reply 2
Oxbridge overrated :wink:
Overrated: RG unis as a whole

(I am making the mistake of using TSR to base this on though)
(edited 7 years ago)
Underrated: The Uni I go to

Overrated: The Uni that rejected me
Reply 5
People are just going to say that the units they can't get into are overrated...
Definitely following this thread! Want to TSR's opinions. With that being said for me...
Overrated: UCL, KCL and LSE (lmao everyone worships LSE)

Underrated: Manchester, Surrey, St Andrews and Edinburgh (hardly hear about these unis especially the Scottish ones)

PS - Are St Andrews and Edinburgh the Oxbridge of Scotland?
(edited 7 years ago)
Overrated: Warwick
Underrated: Loughborough

Have visited but not studied at both and have applied to neither.
Reply 8
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
PS - Are St Andrews and Edinburgh the Oxbridge of Scotland?

I've heard in Scotland the elite universities are St Andrews/Edinburgh/Glasgow. However many will say that St Andrews is the only Scottish university somewhat comparable (but still below obviously) Oxbridge. Edinburgh though has the best international reputation of the three.

Original post by Athematica

Underrated: Loughborough

What's good about Loughborough?

Original post by UWS
Oxbridge overrated :wink:

You mean there are universities other than Oxford and Cambridge? :shock:

Original post by SeanFM
Overrated: RG unis as a whole

I agree. The entire Russell Group worship in my opinion is just a marketing tactic. It's not just on TSR, in real life people are using "Russell Group" as a synonym for "good unis"
I'd love to hear why some of you are saying LSE is overrated. With the exception of Oxbridge, and alongside Imperial depending on what subject you're doing, it is by far the best university in the country.

(Note: Student satisfaction is not a measure of how 'good'/prestigious a uni is, obviously LSE will have low satisfaction because it's intense and in the middle of London, which may overwhelm some people).

And why is Surrey underrated?
(edited 7 years ago)
Not this dumb thread again...
overrated: KCL, UCL, LSE, Lancaster (on the league tables anyway), St Andrews, Durham, Surrey, Manchester

underrated: Bristol, Bath, Warwick, Cardiff, Loughborough, Glasgow, Southampton, Aberdeen, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
overrated: KCL, UCL, LSE, Lancaster (on the league tables anyway), St Andrews, Durham, Surrey, Manchester

underrated: Bristol, Bath, Warwick, Cardiff, Loughborough, Glasgow, Southampton, Aberdeen, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a surprise. The Warwick student lists the universities he's applied to as underrated :tongue:

Think it's clear that the majority of TSR users think the opposite from that thread
Original post by JRKinder
I'd love to hear why some of you are saying LSE is overrated. With the exception of Oxbridge, and alongside Imperial depending on what subject you're doing, it is by far the best university in the country.

(Note: Student satisfaction is not a measure of how 'good'/prestigious a uni is, obviously LSE will have low satisfaction because it's intense and in the middle of London, which may overwhelm some people).

And why is Surrey underrated?

LSE is prestigious that is true, and the research is pretty world class, but when a large portion of your students dislike your flagship courses, something is wrong.

LSE is 9 places from the BOTTOM of the THE SES that i mentioned. 9 WHOLE PLACES SEPARATE IT FROM LONDON MET. Even the people who attend don't think they are having a great time.

The campus is ugly, and most people i know who've went to an open day there didn't think too much of it.

I'm sure it has phenomenal industry connections and is cutting edge and all that jazz, but as it stands, it could be doing a whole lot better.
Reply 14
I think Loughborough is a little overrated. I got to experience a lot of their societies and had some great times, but the truth is, regarding student life, they don't offer that much for the entry grades they ask for. They basically offer a standard uni experience but for Oxford/Cambridge grades lmao.
Original post by MPH125
I think Loughborough is a little overrated. I got to experience a lot of their societies and had some great times, but the truth is, regarding student life, they don't offer that much for the entry grades they ask for. They basically offer a standard uni experience but for Oxford/Cambridge grades lmao.

What courses do they offer with A*AA grade requirements?
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cardiff is another good shout.
Pros: Good uni; Fun, cheap city.
Cons: Wales. Sheep. Welsh people.
Original post by Athematica
What courses do they offer with A*AA grade requirements?

remember oxford offer AAA for lots of courses
(e.g PPE)
>Using Student Satisfaction Surveys to base your opinion on unis
kek

On a more serious note, most underrated: Exeter/Bristol and most overrated: KCL/Manchester (Applied just to Exeter of the 4 but didn't end up actually going)

Also, I honestly don't get the UCL hate on TSR but I'll reserve any judgement until I'm officially a student there.
How is Manchester overrated?

Latest

Trending

Trending