The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford University 2017 Entry Postgraduate Thread!

What are you guys looking to apply for!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking to apply for General Linguistics. I think my application will be fairly weak though - I have a low 2.1 average (64), with high 2.1s and firsts in relevant modules, but I did have a baby in my second year, so am unsure as to whether the application is worth it.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I'm looking to do MSt English Studies 1700-1830. I got 68 in second year with firsts in 3 out of 6 of my units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'm looking to apply for General Linguistics. I think my application will be fairly weak though - I have a low 2.1 average (64), with high 2.1s and firsts in relevant modules, but I did have a baby in my second year, so am unsure as to whether the application is worth it.

Have you tried the 2016/17 thread to see what they think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thinking about moving on from a just-completed master's at Cambridge. No mark on the dissertation, yet, but the coursework produced a 70 average in the older, un-inflated scale-- and I think my final product was better than any of those essays.
Reply 5
Original post by 18thcbibliophile
I'm looking to do MSt English Studies 1700-1830. I got 68 in second year with firsts in 3 out of 6 of my units.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm for the 1830-1914 MSt :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I successfully applied for the MSt in Modern Languages and secured funding so please feel free to ask me if you're applying for the same course :smile: I don't know anything about other courses though, sorry!
Applying for the Doctorate Training Programme in Neuroscience which is super competitive, especially since I'm doing a degree in Psychology right now (UCL). So failing this, I'd hope to get into the MSc in Neuroscience programme instead (those who don't get chosen for the doctorate are considered for the masters programme) :smile:

I've got firsts in relevant research based and neuroscience modules, plus a 70% average in first year and 71% average in second year. Hopefully I stand a chance, as I don't have a background in physical sciences ><
Reply 8
Hi I am interested in the MPhil in Economics at Oxford.
Realistically chances are low according to their admission statistics. Is someone else thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 9
As of now, I'm applying to the MSt in History. Good luck, all!
2018 entry for MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance....
Reply 11
Original post by Jasse5
Hi I am interested in the MPhil in Economics at Oxford.
Realistically chances are low according to their admission statistics. Is someone else thinking of applying? :smile:

Hey!
I am going to apply for the same programme! when are you going to submit your application?
Reply 12
Original post by such_a_lady
I successfully applied for the MSt in Modern Languages and secured funding so please feel free to ask me if you're applying for the same course :smile: I don't know anything about other courses though, sorry!

Wow, that's amazing, huge congratulations! I have followed the 2016 thread and recognise you - Ertegun would be the actual dream!
I'm applying for the MSt in General Linguistics and Comparative Philology, and although you're doing a different course, I would love for you to tell me a bit more about the application process for Ertegun. DM me, if you want to :smile:
Hi all, I'm likely only applying for 2018 entry (DPhil) but I hope you don't mind me participating in the discussion - I like to plan ahead :-)

By way of background, I'm a law graduate currently training to take the Swiss bar exam (I won't know whether I'll be done by September 2017 until, well September 2017, hence not applying yet). I graduated with an LLB and an LLM in Switzerland and also completed an LLM at the University of Hong Kong. Grade-wise I got a (high) magna in my LLB (I guess it would technically be a 2:1 in the UK), a (high) summa in my Swiss LLM, and a Distinction in my HK LLM (no percentages available.

I think I could salvage the 2:1 in the LLB (if necessary) with my LLM grades but I'm self-conscious about my previous academic writing. I like to and can write well but I feel none of the papers or dissertations I've written so far have been at a level that I'd comfortably submit as a writing sample.

Question: Do you think it is acceptable to either 1) [substantially] edit an academic paper previously written as part of my studies or 2) write a completely new short paper? Or does it look suspicious if my academic record shows several LLM dissertations / Master's theses, none of which I actually submit in their original form?

I have one publication which I co-authored with a colleage (back then a PhD student), but it wasn't in a major journal. I do hope to publish another paper by the time my application is due later next year, preferably in a respected journal, but as you know that's a time-consuming endeavour and getting accepted is not guaranteed.

Second question: Do you think given my age and experience (28 by the time I'll apply, 3+ years work experience [all relevant to my field] post graduation), it will reflect negatively on my acacdemic endeavours if I have so few / no major publications?

I know that they say publications are not a must and that they're aware that not everyone has the opportunity to publish before they apply for doctoral studies, but given my background I worry that it will look like I have been a bit "lazy" since I graduated. (I haven't, it's just that 60-hour workweeks leave little energy for this kind of thing.)

Other universities I'm thinking of applying to are Cambridge, LSE, and possibly KCL and UCL, though this may change once I'm set on a dissertation topic / research area (that's still in flux - my background and work experience is very diverse).

Any input is appreciated :-) Wishing you all the best for your applications and I'm curious to read what everyone else is up to!
(edited 7 years ago)
Could anyone help with the following queries, please? Should you contact a professor who specializes in your field of interest before applying, to ask if they would be willing/able to supervise someone with your proposed research plan? Also, how do you go about mentioning potential supervisors in the statement of purpose? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going for MPhil in Latin American Studies.
Anybody here applying for the same course?
I have a couple of questions about the history personal statement for the MSt in American history at Oxford. Has anybody else written one? I would love some input...
Giving a shot to apply for the DPhil in Education although chances are low and I haven't received my grades since the UCL exam board will be held in early November. However I'm also applying at Cambridge as well.
I haven't contacted my potential supervisor(s) yet as I'm still polishing my proposal, SoP, and whatnots. Is it wise if I contact them early November for late December submission? Thanks and fingers crossed for those who are on the same boat!
Hi, I am applying for MSt Film Aesthetics. Have got overall First for both Y1 and Y2. I have been dreading because I am currently studying a creative course instead of an strictly academic one. Does anyone know if that will have an impact on my application despite I (hopefully fingers crossed) eventually get a first class degree?
Thanks!
Hey everyone, applying for the MSc in computer science. My first degree is in aero engineering, strong 1st (80%), year abroad in singapore, and getting some good research experience in machine learning in Japan whilst on the Daiwa Scholarship programme. Hopefully my application is strong enough, as I know there's only 51 spaces!!

Good luck everyone!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending