The Student Room Group

Do you really need a degree in computer science ?

Do you really need a degree in computer science in order to get a job in the cyber security field. I stumbled upon a few articles that state it's not necessary. Apparently all you need is experience and the basics or previous jobs that were around the computer field.
Reply 1
Original post by ubiquitousking
I've been reading a lot about CompSci as well. To be perfectly honest, what I've found is that it isn't necessary for a CompSci related job, you just need a maths A-level (ideally) alongisde some facilitating subjects.
One thing to note is that employers, as you mention, really just care about experience. Some universities can give you a Year in Industry alongside the course. Whether that's actually worth your money though, that's your choice to make. It'd still be interesting to take, if you are indeed interested in the subject, but for job prospects it isn't exactly an idea degree to study (graduates have surprisingly high unemployment rates compared to other degrees). If you can get that Year in Industry, it might be worth your time, your call. Hope this helps.

Spoiler

Thanks for your reply! The reason I asked is because I flopped my a levels this year and im hopeless. Don't want to spend another year, even those this route was supposed to take me to a computer science degree. Don't think that's possible now, i've always wanted to get into a cyber security field. Thanks! ill see if i can dig up some experience
Reply 2
I had the chance to do computer science but decided to do networking instead. I would not worry about it, for cyber security I imagine you would need some networking and OS knowledge. There are some free security related courses online.
Reply 3
Original post by ubiquitousking
I've been reading a lot about CompSci as well. To be perfectly honest, what I've found is that it isn't necessary for a CompSci related job, you just need a maths A-level (ideally) alongisde some facilitating subjects.
One thing to note is that employers, as you mention, really just care about experience. Some universities can give you a Year in Industry alongside the course. Whether that's actually worth your money though, that's your choice to make. It'd still be interesting to take, if you are indeed interested in the subject, but for job prospects it isn't exactly an idea degree to study (graduates have surprisingly high unemployment rates compared to other degrees). If you can get that Year in Industry, it might be worth your time, your call. Hope this helps.

Spoiler

why did u change ur mind
Reply 4
It completely depends on what area of info sec you want to work in.

It can't hurt to have a degree in computer science, but it's a unique industry in that your technical ability is valued more than a degree classification.

The most important thing is passion, you have to be able to prove to potential employers that you want to work in this field. That means getting involved in CTF's, doing your own research in your spare time, setting up online labs, doing more independent research.
Reply 5
I think it's more to do with technical ability. If you are familiar with code or a piece of software then it goes a long way. Sure a degree in the field Is useful in some roles as it shows you were doing technical projects, but it's not essential.

What is essential is having a passion for technology and willingness to learn new things. Why do I say this? I know people who did unrelated degrees like Geography and History and are now programmers for big companies.

Having technical experience does help though, so teaching yourself some programming languages and working on your own projects is useful. Does it have to be at university? Not really.

Having done a degree in Computer Science, I would still recommend it as you get exposed to a lot of different technologies. You then do additional learning to boost your technical skill set.
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
I think it's more to do with technical ability. If you are familiar with code or a piece of software then it goes a long way. Sure a degree in the field Is useful in some roles as it shows you were doing technical projects, but it's not essential.

What is essential is having a passion for technology and willingness to learn new things. Why do I say this? I know people who did unrelated degrees like Geography and History and are now programmers for big companies.

Having technical experience does help though, so teaching yourself some programming languages and working on your own projects is useful. Does it have to be at university? Not really.

Having done a degree in Computer Science, I would still recommend it as you get exposed to a lot of different technologies. You then do additional learning to boost your technical skill set.

This is very relevant.

It should be noted that on the flip side, a degree in computer science is not enough to land an info sec job. Its all about what you do in your spare time
Reply 7
Mostly it's experience they want but uni also gives you that experience. So for start off jobs some ask for a degree. It's not necessary if you have and can show previous experience tho, like freelance jobs.

You could look into apprenticeships, they would be good to start off
Reply 8
Original post by Devify
Mostly it's experience they want but uni also gives you that experience. So for start off jobs some ask for a degree. It's not necessary if you have and can show previous experience tho, like freelance jobs.

You could look into apprenticeships, they would be good to start off

It's also worth not looking at massive corporations, smaller companies are more likely to have rookie programmes or will take interns even if they aren't at uni
It isn't necessary, but a degree wouldn't hurt.
Original post by UWS

This post is spot on.

A CS degree does, however, give one a bit of an advantage for roles and companies that prefer testing your algorithmic ability than just your programming chops. BigCos like Google, FB etc have very hard interviews that involve you implementing all sorts of algorithms within all sorts of data structures and all whilst commenting on the time complexity of your implementation.. So, definitely a CS degree can help for more theoretical/algo heavy interviews (and by extension roles).

I would look at it like Law, you don't need a law degree to become a lawyer, but that one year GDL is essentially similar to the mounds of outside project work and personal learning that budding software engineers from any degree discipline would do.

Would still recommend a CS degree though, the mix of theory and practice is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iRighteous
Do you really need a degree in computer science in order to get a job in the cyber security field. I stumbled upon a few articles that state it's not necessary. Apparently all you need is experience and the basics or previous jobs that were around the computer field.

So a CS degree gives you nice all round exposure to many fields of CS.

In terms of cyber security I would say it helps to have a CS degree because if you want to 'hack' into something you need to understand how it is built/implemented, whether that be a program, piece of hardware etc (which a CS degree would give you).

However, there are many cyber security certifications you can get such as:

- SANS/GIAC GSEC
- ISC-squared CISSP
- ISC-squared SSCP
- ISACA CISM
- ISACA CISA
- EC-Council CEH
- EC-Council ECSA
- CompTIA Security+
- CWNP CWSP

If you can get yourself a few of these it would certainly make you more employable within the cyber security industry.
As far as i'm concerned you do not need a degree for Computer Science as it is not Software your Building. I suggest you learn more about General IT and yes there are many certificates that can boost you up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending