The Student Room Group

Is it that wrong to want to be a housewife?

The rich husband thread made me think. I am an 18 year old girl about to go to a good uni and I have good A Levels. I am doing a decent degree admittedly in a girly subject but will hopefully do well. I don't see why it's so bad I want to be a housewife long term? I want to have children and I want a husband who can support the family. Obviously I'd like it if I could do that but the reality is a woman isn't likely to get a job which pays enough to support a family as women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries - that was clear at school when the boys always took charge and made things happen. I don't understand why men criticise girls who want to marry rich men for family reasons, when women aren't generally able to get jobs which can support families. Women are generally better at supporting the home and men better in work, it's natural isn't it?

Scroll to see replies

Women make wonderful housewives. All of those Burn your Bra brigade wimmin end up bitter and disappointed.*

Nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife, I think the reason it's often criticised is because proponents of it tend to imply women shouldn't work at all. But a society where women can choose to either work or not work is probably desirable; I'm sure there are some men out there as well who may prefer a more home-orientated wife, whereas some would prefer a wife who works alongside him.
Reply 3
Why can't you both work (until you have children at least)?

I generally do agree that once you have children it's optimal for one parent to stay at home (the one earning less), but I'm definitely in a minority for that.

However, "women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries" is completely false.
Original post by Anonymous
The rich husband thread made me think. I am an 18 year old girl about to go to a good uni and I have good A Levels. I am doing a decent degree admittedly in a girly subject but will hopefully do well. I don't see why it's so bad I want to be a housewife long term? I want to have children and I want a husband who can support the family. Obviously I'd like it if I could do that but the reality is a woman isn't likely to get a job which pays enough to support a family as women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries - that was clear at school when the boys always took charge and made things happen. I don't understand why men criticise girls who want to marry rich men for family reasons, when women aren't generally able to get jobs which can support families. Women are generally better at supporting the home and men better in work, it's natural isn't it?

:troll:
Reply 5
but the reality is a woman isn't likely to get a job which pays enough to support a family as women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries

Yeah you won't with this kind of attitude.
Lmao

In school I was actually the bossy one that took charge of everything because no one did anything right except me :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Think about it this way: is it wrong for me to be a househusband???
x

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife. Mothers raising children are the bedrock of any society. In fact, by the time you go to school at 4 years old, you've already learnt most things worth knowing - or you haven't.

There's a big difference between someone wanting to be a housewife and contribute in a different way, which involves not working and someone who just wants to not work and freeload off their husband.

Surprisingly, working for the man isn't the only way to contribute to society.

SS
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a house wife, but you've got to want to be one as opposed to being made to be one.
Not at all. Originally I wanted to be a speech and language therapist, but after having my son in January, I decided I wanted to be a teacher, so at least for the summer holidays, term holidays etc, I could be at home with him, and, save any meetings, will be able to pick him up and drop him to school :-)
Reply 11
At school the guys did **** all, then again so did the girls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The divide between men who go out to work and women who stay at home, was really only apparent for most people when the industrial revolution arrived. Even then in many areas women and children worked in factories - the Lancashire Textile Industry in particular wanted the manual skills they possessed.

Before that most people were at 'home'. Most people were subsistence farmers ie they worked on the land - men , women and children. If they didn't they died from starvation. There was no room for people who didn't produce except for a very small number of the Upper Classes. Fathers and mothers trained their children in agricultural work, sometimes also as apprentices.

The development of the professions /industries enabled some middle class men in towns to support their wives who didn't work but managed a household of servants etc. It became a status symbol for men not to have a 'working' wife.

Nowadays home life has altered a lot. Women don't make their own clothes, butter, cheese, raise poultry, milk cows, need to spend hours on housework, raise 8 children. They are released from this daily grind and have time to follow their interests in careers which traditionally either were followed by men or didn't even exist. Men and women with modern technology are returning to working 'at home'.

Because so much of a traditional woman's life at home has disappeared I think you may find that after the honeymoon period of feeling like you are on holiday because you are not going out to work/studying, you may well feel very isolated and bored. Also you may well feel that you want to contribute more to the world particularly if children have gone off to school. You may think that life is passing you by. It's these sorts of experiences that make women want to have a job. They want to be useful, make a worthwhile contribution to a wider society than just their own house. They may also want to feel grown up and responsible for their own and their family's welfare by earning money. This may increase their self worth, give them the independence financially and the freedom to give, spend money as they wish.
Original post by lawyer3c

However, "women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries" is completely false.

It's not, it's proven in academic studies including by Catherine Hakim that girls/women don't have brains which enable us to lead
Original post by RDKGames

Yes as men should work, earn money and provide as men have the brains/natural ability and desire for careers and invention
?

Answer the following:

1. Are you South Asian?
2. Are you from a minority?
3. Is your mum working or a housewife?
4. Whats your favourite colour?

Before you ask "what relevance does this have to your question"

My response would be "It is relevant in every way"
Nah, but your attitude is awful.
Reply 17
Nope
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife.
EDIT: If you made the thread about wanting to find a rich guy, that's not solely wanting to be a housewife with someone that can support a family. That thread seemed entirely self-centred.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames

Now that's the question I was waiting for. ..Those damn double standards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending