The Student Room Group

French Revision HELP and ADVICE please!

So French isn't my strongest subject and I was wondering how everyone revises for listening and reading. I do Edexcel and I can't seem to find the specification with like a lost of keywords that comes up. Any resources or websites would be helpful.
Original post by bluepearl7
So French isn't my strongest subject and I was wondering how everyone revises for listening and reading. I do Edexcel and I can't seem to find the specification with like a lost of keywords that comes up. Any resources or websites would be helpful.

There's actually quite a lot available on the internet for this!

The Edexcel specification (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/French/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/Specification-Pearson-Edexcel-Level-1-Level-2-GCSE-9-1-French.pdf) has vocab lists starting on page 73, Appendix 3.

Otherwise there's good old Memrise: http://www.memrise.com/course/89149/edexcel-gcse-french-vocabulary-list/ ) which you can use to help you learn/revise the vocab.

For revision strategies, have a look at this document provided by Edexcel: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/French/2016/teaching-and-learning/Vocabulary_learning_strategies.pdf
It is aimed at teachers but there are loads of ideas here to help you devise your own techniques.

Bonne chance!
for both reading and listening, to gain top marks you need good knowledge in vocab and grammar. You can scrape a pass not knowing much of either of these things but if you revise these, then you will be able to grasp things more easily and reach A*
I learn most of my vocab through school as we are regularly given vocab tests but if it's not the same for you, find the vocab in the specification online and learn it bit by bit. In regards to grammar, in the specification it should also say what you need to learn. I suggest learning tenses be your main priority and there are online websites such as languagesonline.com which are good for practising tenses.
Then you just need to do past paper after past paper, getting used to the style of question, and listening and understanding the french accent.
If you are struggling to keep up with the speakers in the listening you could try watching french youtubers. I've started watching miraculous ladybug, a french animation and it's really helped me improve my french and I'm now invested in the fandom! :P
All in all practise makes perfect
Reply 3
Original post by Maryam_bb_

If you are struggling to keep up with the speakers in the listening you could try watching french youtubers.

Yeah, watch Cyprien, he is a really fun french guy!
I'd definitely recommend Duolingo, it's helped me a ton with my Spanish and offers lots of languages (including French of course).
And this website is useful for learning the tenses: http://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/
Original post by Maryam_bb_
for both reading and listening, to gain top marks you need good knowledge in vocab and grammar. You can scrape a pass not knowing much of either of these things but if you revise these, then you will be able to grasp things more easily and reach A*
I learn most of my vocab through school as we are regularly given vocab tests but if it's not the same for you, find the vocab in the specification online and learn it bit by bit. In regards to grammar, in the specification it should also say what you need to learn. I suggest learning tenses be your main priority and there are online websites such as languagesonline.com which are good for practising tenses.
Then you just need to do past paper after past paper, getting used to the style of question, and listening and understanding the french accent.
If you are struggling to keep up with the speakers in the listening you could try watching french youtubers. I've started watching miraculous ladybug, a french animation and it's really helped me improve my french and I'm now invested in the fandom! :P
All in all practise makes perfect

Ahhhhh, I love you :smile:
Miraculous Ladybug is bae... Join the social group!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending