The Student Room Group

What results do UK students use to apply university?

As far as i know the applications for universities close somewhere in January/February, and A-level results will only be released in August. So how are the A-level results applicable during application period? I'm rather confused by how the whole thing works.

Or do they use A-level predictions to apply for university?
Original post by antelope11
As far as i know the applications for universities close somewhere in January/February, and A-level results will only be released in August. So how are the A-level results applicable during application period? I'm rather confused by how the whole thing works.

Yeah most students use A-level predictions and universities, along with this, use previous attainment such as AS and GCSE grades in addition to other factors such as a personal statement or a reference or entrance exams. Universities then offer a student a conditional offer so as long as they meet the grades in August, they'll be able to attend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

The UCAS deadline is January 15 2017 - though the deadline is 15 October 2016 for all applications to medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine as well as applying for Oxbridge. The exam board will send your results to UCAS first so they can send the grades to the university, which means that the university can confirm your place if it's a conditional offer. However some grades don't go, for reasons that I can't help with, to UCAS automatically which means that you have to manually send the certificates to the university via the postal service.Please refer to the link below if you want to know which qualifications, form which exam boards, are automatically sent to UCAS:

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/sending-exam-results
Most subjects require an application to be submitted by January I believe apart from Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary and Oxbridge applications which need to be submitted by October.

UK students will use their GCSE results, AS results and A2 predictions (from the school and previous GCSE and AS results are used to make these) in terms of results.
Universities will make either a conditional offer (e.g. student must achieve A*AA to be accepted into the course) or an unconditional offer (doesn't matter what you achieve at A level). If you miss your A2 grades on results day (e.g. get A*AB) you either go into clearing or see if your university will take you anyway - leniency varies depending on course and institution.

UK students will also submit a personal statement which they write themselves talking about things like why they feel they should study said course as well as extra curricular activities. Furthermore, a reference is submitted which is written by the school to the university.

Yes, they use A Level predictions to apply for university (and AS results if applicable) and offers are then given conditional on their actual A Level results. If you get those results then you are guaranteed a place, if you don't then it's up to the university's discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest