The Student Room Group

A/S further maths

Do (i need / should i ) pick up AS further maths ? got a B in AS level maths. wanting to do chem eng at a good uni ? doing maths chem physics , can pick up further if decision made quick.
Original post by zaynumar
Do (i need / should i ) pick up AS further maths ? got a B in AS level maths. wanting to do chem eng at a good uni ? doing maths chem physics , can pick up further if decision made quick.

Sure you can... but why would you need it?
Not looked into Chem Eng much but I think I saw somewhere that it is 'recommended' or 'preferred' or something like that at the top unis. Whilst it's not a necessity it might help you on the course?
Reply 3
My friend who got a B tried the same thing and ended up with a D in further
Original post by zaynumar

You could always take it and if say after a month you're not enjoying it or understanding it then talk to your teachers and see if you can drop?...
I wouldn't bother, the little content you cover in FM that is relevant to an engineering degree (including the early on maths modules) gets taught pretty quickly during your course and you'll almost certainly have forgotten it or be rusty enough that it doesn't give a whole lot of advantage.
Reply 6
If you only get a B in Maths then you may find Further Maths a bit difficult... Surely picking it up might help your uni application but you should also consider whether you can handle the workload and the difficulty as well:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest