The Student Room Group

How to revise for English literature 9-1 exam 2017

I have just started year 11 and I have been studying The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. I am not sure on how to revise for this? How can I remember all the quotes as we are not given a book in the exam? What do I need to know for the exam?
Reply 1
you have to memorise the books
Original post by JackT2000
I have just started year 11 and I have been studying The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. I am not sure on how to revise for this? How can I remember all the quotes as we are not given a book in the exam? What do I need to know for the exam?

I'm in year 11 to and we have done mocks on Jekyll and Hyde.
To revise you need to learn about the theme's and characters and the difference between good (Jekyll ) and evil ( Hyde ) .
You should pick out some quotes that would support multiple points as your more likely to be able to use them in context to your exam.
The way I remember quotes is to just keep writing them out and then in a practice exam try and remember them and write them from memory. As with quotes if I can remember and then write them in a piece of writing then the next time we write something I find it easier to remember the quote that I used last time
If that sorta makes sense.
You dont need to constantly use quotes, we were told if you make references to the text that also counts. But also better to try to memorise some of them if possible.
Original post by Authorbian
You dont need to constantly use quotes, we were told if you make references to the text that also counts. But also better to try to memorise some of them if possible.

Would it effect your possible level if you didn't include quotes. Or can you still get top grades through references ???
I'm in Yr 11 also and the best way to revise is , sadly, to know the book inside and out. By this I mean you remember the name of each chapter and the occurrences. For memorising quotes I think making mind maps of each theme and character and writing the quotes along with a technique and summary would be the most helpful however if you are short on time for example MOCKS ARE THIS WEEK then make flashcards with the theme and quotes, you'll find common quotes which would be the best to memorise. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS WRITE THE EFFECT ON THE READER!!
i would highly recommend crying in a corner
Reply 7
That is very effective!
Original post by stressfulrevisor
I'm in Yr 11 also and the best way to revise is , sadly, to know the book inside and out. By this I mean you remember the name of each chapter and the occurrences. For memorising quotes I think making mind maps of each theme and character and writing the quotes along with a technique and summary would be the most helpful however if you are short on time for example MOCKS ARE THIS WEEK then make flashcards with the theme and quotes, you'll find common quotes which would be the best to memorise. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS WRITE THE EFFECT ON THE READER!!

Hey, could all of you read these essays and tell me what you think:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clw161hg8qp4vrs/English%20Essays.zip?dl=1

Quick Reply

Latest