The Student Room Group

Medicine with ABBB at AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezme39
Sure :smile: my GCSEs were 5A*5A.
I was rejected pre-interview from Nottingham, and post-interview from Liverpool. I received offers from Keele and HYMS, and I am now attending HYMS.

That's quite re-assuring to hear because I literally have the same grades and Ukcat average, do you think I could get into St George's?
Reply 21
Original post by Not_a_horse
That's quite re-assuring to hear because I literally have the same grades and Ukcat average, do you think I could get into St George's?

I think St Georges is one of your safest options :smile: it was on my shortlist, but my mum hadn't wanted me to apply there because of its location aha
Depends how your teachers think of you and how you did throughout the year, my school is really odd though.

Lol, then it's all on the little exams.

Original post by Ezme39
Email your teachers to explain the need for the AAA prediction. Mine didn't need any persuading, but it put my mind at ease

Yeah mine do, it was basically "it's your AS grade" unless you do realllyyy well but then the whole year's long. I need to apply by December.

Thanks both though, I'll see :biggrin:
Original post by Ezme39
I think St Georges is one of your safest options :smile: it was on my shortlist, but my mum hadn't wanted me to apply there because of its location aha

It's nice that it's only a 40 min bus ride from me, imperial is my dream choice but looks unlikely atm, thanks for your help though and good luck in med school.
Original post by Ezme39
Sure :smile: my GCSEs were 5A*5A.
I was rejected pre-interview from Nottingham, and post-interview from Liverpool. I received offers from Keele and HYMS, and I am now attending HYMS.

Hey :smile:
Could I ask if you achieved your predicted, I've heard sometimes they accept if you've fallen short a grade. Though I recognise often that is not the case as medicine is v. Competitive.
Reply 25
Original post by Onthedancefloor
Hey :smile:
Could I ask if you achieved your predicted, I've heard sometimes they accept if you've fallen short a grade. Though I recognise often that is not the case as medicine is v. Competitive.

Yeah you're right, and I did actually get accepted having fallen short with AAB :smile: this was last year though, and I've heard that they were stricter this year... :s-smilie:
I think it's ridiculous the lack of flexibility given in medicine applications generally. I've been one of the highest achievers in my first year at HYMS, so I'd like to think I've made the most of being so lucky, but it really shows that you do not need AAA knowledge to study medicine.
Original post by Ezme39
Yeah you're right, and I did actually get accepted having fallen short with AAB :smile: this was last year though, and I've heard that they were stricter this year... :s-smilie:
I think it's ridiculous the lack of flexibility given in medicine applications generally. I've been one of the highest achievers in my first year at HYMS, so I'd like to think I've made the most of being so lucky, but it really shows that you do not need AAA knowledge to study medicine.

SGUL were in clearing for medicine this year, do you reckon they accepted <AAA? Not interested in applying for medicine, just curious as this was the first time I've ever seen a medicine course in clearing.

Also, congrats on doing great in your first year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by DarkEnergy
SGUL were in clearing for medicine this year, do you reckon they accepted <AAA? Not interested in applying for medicine, just curious as this was the first time I've ever seen a medicine course in clearing.

Also, congrats on doing great in your first year.

I'd probably have said it was still AAA, because those places would have been highly in demand - not sure though...
and I don't get why they wouldn't have just called back people who were rejected at interview, but were near the cut-off score? Seems curious how they would be in clearing at all.

thank you :smile:
Original post by MathSci1999
Hey, just wondering how likely would i be to get a place in medicine with AS grades of ABBB, applying this year?
A maths
B in 3 sciences

predicted AAA / A*AA

Thank you in advance :smile:

AS grades aren't considered at most universities. You're good to apply.
Original post by MathSci1999
Hey, just wondering how likely would i be to get a place in medicine with AS grades of ABBB, applying this year?
A maths
B in 3 sciences

predicted AAA / A*AA

Thank you in advance :smile:

Try universities that don't consider AS grades as much. My friend last year had the same grades and got offers from UEA and Manchester.
Hmm, How did you get predicted an A with a B at AS?, Did you do school internal exams or the actual AS? Nevertheless you're grades are very good.

I was predicted an A with a C at AS :O

But I did get an A
If you live in Manchester do MAP. I know someone that got ACCD at AS and got an ABB offer for medicine via the programme (missed, sadly).

Otherwise look for acess programmes etc or work experience
Reply 32
Original post by DarkEnergy

Sitting in SGUL halls now. No, everyone who got through in clearing got 3 As at least.

From their student portal: "For Medicine, we were able to fill all places with applicants who achieved three A grades at A Level or equivalent, which is a very positive outcome."

4600 medicine clearing calls according to that page as well, with 600 livechat enquiries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
Sitting in SGUL halls now. No, everyone who got through in clearing got 3 As at least.

From their student portal: "For Medicine, we were able to fill all places with applicants who achieved three A grades at A Level or equivalent, which is a very positive outcome."

4600 medicine clearing calls according to that page as well, with 600 livechat enquiries.

Did they have to do an interview? So it was mainly for smart people who messed up their interviews and got rejected from their medicine choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending