The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

18+ Oyster Travelcard discount

After Results Day I checked the Kings website to see how to prepare for uni in September.

I checked the link for the Travel Discount - 30%.

But then it said that I was too late to apply so check back when September starts which I have done now. I realised that Kings have to authorise your 30% discount when you apply for a new 18+ oyster but how is that going to happen when the first day of term is on the 26th September and my 16+ free travel oyster card runs out on the 30th?

I just wanted to know how to go about applying for this 30% travel discount oyster BEFORE I start university.

Cheers xx
Reply 1
Thank-you so much for the reply.
Well I'm literally only going to be taking the train to the university.

I had no idea that you could use the Santander thing and the Kings 30% travel discount together. I thought Kings would realise you did both and refuse to give you their discount.

OK - I should just do the application today so that I had an Oyster card by the time by old one runs out.

I am going to ring the university about how they have to authorise the 30% discount. I don't get it - I start on the 26th which is when they have to authorise my online oyster application (not enough time to do that as my old oyster runs out 4 days later).

Damn I really have to start keeping track off all this travel stuff .... Money is going to drive me crazy!!

Original post by nerdpixel
The 18+ photocard is really only useful if your accommodation any further out than zone 3, and you travel frequently, as you can only use it on week/month travelcards.

The better option is to invest in a 16-25 national railcard and tie it to an adult oyster. That gives you 34% discount on over/underground off-peak singles. You won't get a discount on bus singles, but these are included in the discounted off-peak cap. As long as you start your journey after the morning peak, the off-peak cap still applies in the evening peak.

You can get a 4 year railcard for free with a Santander bank account, or a one year card with £15 of Clubcard vouchers.

Even if you do get the 18+ card, you can still link the two to get both benefits.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
The 18+ photocard is really only useful if your accommodation any further out than zone 3, and you travel frequently, as you can only use it on week/month travelcards.

The better option is to invest in a 16-25 national railcard and tie it to an adult oyster. That gives you 34% discount on over/underground off-peak singles. You won't get a discount on bus singles, but these are included in the discounted off-peak cap. As long as you start your journey after the morning peak, the off-peak cap still applies in the evening peak.

You can get a 4 year railcard for free with a Santander bank account, or a one year card with £15 of Clubcard vouchers.

Even if you do get the 18+ card, you can still link the two to get both benefits.

I dont understand this. What does tie it down mean??
and this means i can still use the tube yes?
Reply 3
Original post by dingdon
I dont understand this. What does tie it down mean??
and this means i can still use the tube yes?

I'm pretty sure you can use the tube. That's what I was confused about. But how can that discount only make a difference to only the trains you are taking?? Doesn't make sense. The websites for this weren't even explaining what the discount can be used for :/

Also I think they mean, get an adult oyster but apply for the 16-25 railway card discount.
Reply 4
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
I'm pretty sure you can use the tube. That's what I was confused about. But how can that discount only make a difference to only the trains you are taking?? Doesn't make sense. The websites for this weren't even explaining what the discount can be used for :/

Also I think they mean, get an adult oyster but apply for the 16-25 railway card discount.

truee. I understand ur problem. Because its gonna take time for the travelcard to process so its gonna be hard to get to uni lol
Reply 5
Yup. You can take your Oyster card and railcard to any underground station and they'll link them together for you. Then it's just a normal Oyster card with a permanent discount on off peak singles/cap, but bus fares will still be £1.50.You can also take your 18+ photo card and do the same thing.

ohh ok. how cheap is it? because its 2.30 one way for me so doesnt work out cheaper than getting a weekly card
Reply 6
guys does the monthly oyser card for student include bus too? or do i need to get it seperatly
Reply 7
Original post by dingdon
truee. I understand ur problem. Because its gonna take time for the travelcard to process so its gonna be hard to get to uni lol

Dude - I emailed them a few days ago. And they got back to me saying they can only confirm that you attend the university when your course starts which is around 26th September for most students. Although my current one will run out on the 30th ... doesn't make sense but let's hope that they do it straight away on the 26th cuz the 18+ discount oyster will then need to be processed and dispatched and delivered and I guarantee it will take more than just 4 days.
Reply 8
Original post by imran_
guys does the monthly oyser card for student include bus too? or do i need to get it seperatly

Yes it includes everything - you are talking about the 18+ Oyster card that gives you 30% off travel, right?

Quick Reply

Latest