The Student Room Group

Are you an official 'student' when distance learning?

Silly question, but when distance learning, do you get a student card and can you get student discounts etc? Or does it not count?
Original post by theoallen
Silly question, but when distance learning, do you get a student card and can you get student discounts etc? Or does it not count?

Do you have a .ac.uk email address?
Does your course require you to work more than 16/21 hours per week?

Each benefit will have it's own rules as to what a student is, you'll have to check directly with the benefit provider eg Unidays, or the bank, or the railways etc
Original post by theoallen

Not normally as you are only studying part time
I've got an NUS Extra card, and I get discounts with that.
If you're part time you get given a student id card and you can use that for all kinds of cool stuff. McDonalds etc. Just the same as full time students.

The only discounts I'm aware of that are for full time students only are things like railcard discounts (if you're over 25 you can still get the young person's railcard as a full time student).

Distance learning courses can be part or full time so it is worth clarifying with your uni which one yours is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending