The Student Room Group

I fear I will offend my new flatmates

I am starting uni in a couple weeks and I'm living in halls. Because of where I live currently, my friendship circle isn't very... "diverse". Two of my soon-to-be flatmates are black. I'm autistic and enjoy dark humour, I feel I could quite easily piss them off even though the jokes I make don't represent my views. What would be a good course of action? I don't want to be completely dry and uninteresting but I can't let my personality slip in case one of them doesn't like it.

Scroll to see replies

Don't make any jokes about black people then
Tell us some jokes and we'll tell you if we'd be offended if we were your housemates.
Reply 3
if your jokes include some sort of racism, i wouldn't call it a 'joke'
Original post by Anonymous
I am starting uni in a couple weeks and I'm living in halls. Because of where I live currently, my friendship circle isn't very... "diverse". Two of my soon-to-be flatmates are black. I'm autistic and enjoy dark humour, I feel I could quite easily piss them off even though the jokes I make don't represent my views. What would be a good course of action? I don't want to be completely dry and uninteresting but I can't let my personality slip in case one of them doesn't like it.

Don't make any jokes regarding any protected characteristic under law, that includes race, skin colour, gender, sexual orientation, disability or religion and you should be golden

Well you've got a few options;

1) Warn them in advance - Probably the best idea although it will come across as a bit strange if you say it out of the blue. Try and weave it into a conversation.

2) Test lighter material and see how well that goes - Keep going until someone finds it funny but says they shouldn't. Now you know how far you can go with your flatmates.

3) - Don't say stupidly edgy **** - Also a good idea. No need to be needlessly offensive whether it's a joke or not. Most people will understand a joke.

The fact you can consider their likely response means you surely have a reasonable degree of empathatetic functioning.

My ex-boyfriend had Aspergers and he was absolutely hilarious (mostly unintentionally, but he worked out after a while what I found funny and was actually pretty good at telling jokes). We used to have a lot of fun with strange English idioms that he felt were ridiculous (like "barking up the wrong tree", he draw a very funny picture of a pack of dogs barking at a tree). I don't know, it's not normal humour but we found other things kind-of funny. He found Curb Your Enthusiasm really funny, so I'm not sure that people who are on the spectrum and people who aren't can't share humour.

I'm sure your flatmates will be fine, don't try to hide your personality from them. They are more likely to appreciate you for who you are (and people on the spectrum have many great and lovable qualities) than if you hide yourself from them
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by green.tea
Tell us some jokes and we'll tell you if we'd be offended if we were your housemates.

It's not like I have a bank of offensive jokes, I just like to satirise various things on the fly and sometimes people look at me like I did something bad.

I don't want to be a complete robot and my sense of humour is a part of me that helps me have conversations but sometimes I go too far. I wouldn't call it racist but some particularly sensitive people say it is.

Original post by oueoue

They aren't racist on purpose, some things just get interpreted as offensive by others. I like to make little witty remarks to join in conversations but people tell me it's not always acceptable.
Reply 8
Original post by pizzanomics
Well you've got a few options;

1) Warn them in advance - Probably the best idea although it will come across as a bit strange if you say it out of the blue. Try and weave it into a conversation.

2) Test lighter material and see how well that goes - Keep going until someone finds it funny but says they shouldn't. Now you know how far you can go with your flatmates.

3) - Don't say stupidly edgy **** - Also a good idea. No need to be needlessly offensive whether it's a joke or not. Most people will understand a joke.

This is a really good idea thanks, I'll "ease them in" I guess. And I'm not some 13 year old edgelord :P

Original post by AlexanderHam
The fact you can consider their likely response means you surely have a reasonable degree of empathatetic functioning.

My ex-boyfriend had Aspergers and he was absolutely hilarious (mostly unintentionally, but he worked out after a while what I found funny and was actually pretty good at telling jokes). We used to have a lot of fun with strange English idioms that he felt were ridiculous (like "barking up the wrong tree", he draw a very funny picture of a pack of dogs barking at a tree). I don't know, it's not normal humour but we found other things kind-of funny. He found Curb Your Enthusiasm really funny, so I'm not sure that people who are on the spectrum and people who aren't can't share humour.

I'm sure your flatmates will be fine, don't try to hide your personality from them. They are more likely to appreciate you for who you are (and people on the spectrum have many great and lovable qualities) than if you hide yourself from them

Thank you, this has rested my mind a tad :smile:
X

Okay, I'll give you an example of a few offensive jokes. Tell me if the jokes you usually tell are more or less offensive. Here goes.

*What's the difference between two dicks and a joke? You can't take a joke.

*What's black and screams? Stevie Wonder answering the iron.

*What's the best part of having sex with a transexual? Reaching around and pretending it went all the way through

(Okay, I admit I'm just shoehorning in offensive jokes now)
Okay, I'll give you an example of a few offensive jokes. Tell me if the jokes you usually tell are more or less offensive. Here goes.

*What's the difference between two dicks and a joke? You can't take a joke.

*What's black and screams? Stevie Wonder answering the iron.

*What's the best part of having sex with a transexual? Reaching around and pretending it went all the way through

(Okay, I admit I'm just shoehorning in offensive jokes now)

I love those but if I were to go with the classic style of joke my favourite would be "What is better than winning the gold at the special Olympics? Not being retarded."
I love those but if I were to go with the classic style of joke my favourite would be "What is better than winning the gold at the special Olympics? Not being retarded."

That's actually pretty funny. The reason I'm generally not offended by such things is because of the fundamental nature of humour; we laugh when our brain encounters something unexpected and creates a new neural connection, laughing is an automatic physiological response.

The joke sets up an expectation and then does something completely different but which still follows from the original premise; our brain encounters something unexpected, and the laugh follows. Therefore, I think ultimately it doesn't matter what the particular subject matter of the joke is; it's just grist for the mill to allow us to create those novel neural connections.

Of course one has to be sensitive about these things and there is a limit, but overall I don't think we should be overly concerned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oueoue

Really?

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar... and apparently get thrown out for taking part in a racist, unfunny joke.
Test the waters with videos of comedians on youtube.

Start with Michael Mcintyre.

Then move on to Jimmy Carr.

If they can take that, progress to Frankie Boyle.

If you're still alive, find Daniel Tosh or Lisa Lampanelli. If they pass that, you can officially joke about anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't tell any dark jokes involving skin colour until they themselves have expressed they're okay with it or have made one themselves, just in case.
--
Ik it seems like stupid nowadays and some people are gonna say it's too 'politically correct' (I am actually 100% for the ability to express/say whatever you want) but I'm only recommending this on the off chance they might not take it very well and then you'll have trouble dealing with them all year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oueoue

Well, many people would disagree with you.

Either way OP, I would just not say them if you're uncomfortable and you don't know them. Wait until you know them before you try the edgy jokes and only try them on an audience that will find them funny.
That's actually pretty funny. The reason I'm generally not offended by such things is because of the fundamental nature of humour; we laugh when our brain encounters something unexpected and creates a new neural connection, laughing is an automatic physiological response.

The joke sets up an expectation and then does something completely different but which still follows from the original premise; our brain encounters something unexpected, and the laugh follows. Therefore, I think ultimately it doesn't matter what the particular subject matter of the joke is; it's just grist for the mill to allow us to create those novel neural connections.

Of course one has to be sensitive about these things and there is a limit, but overall I don't think we should be overly concerned.

I don't think we should be either but according to some people at my old school things like this are unacceptable. I also love the "Omar Mateen must be a wizard. He turned 53 fruits into vegetables." and "What do you call a kid with one arm, one eye and one leg? Names."
If you feel a black joke coming on, close your mouth
What do you call a black man in a suit?

Smartly-dressed, of course.

Hands up who was going to say 'the defendant?'
Original post by chazwomaq
Test the waters with videos of comedians on youtube.

Start with Michael Mcintyre.

Then move on to Jimmy Carr.

If they can take that, progress to Frankie Boyle.

If you're still alive, find Daniel Tosh or Lisa Lampanelli. If they pass that, you can officially joke about anything.

Frankie Boyle and onwards are a little bit **** in my opinion. They stop being funny when they're just trying to be mean, as if they lose sight of what they're aiming for in the effort to be more edgy. But scripted jokes aren't really my thing anyway, I like to make quick jokes in conversation. If some banter starts I'm not sure I should get involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending